• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We will do the pre-sale pricing for the first 30 days.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
my order has been placed... thank you for your continual work to make the yamaha jet boat even better.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Brilliant Will. I hope you have that design legally locked down to prevent Yamaha from stealing it. Their newer boats stink at reverse.
Looks like the anode would need to be moved on the starboard pump. Is that correct?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wish I could have been on the twin engine boat when you tested the single pump design X2 compared to the dual design. (Both on twin engine) I'm not sure a video could demonstrate the difference between the two adequately.

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This obviosly helps with turning in reverse, but how does it function in "straight" reverse? How does it effect throwing into reverse to slow?

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So along @tracerrx's thoughts if at say 3000 rpm's and I dump it into reverse is that ok? I'm sure you tested it at higher rpm's than I would ever try and slam it into reverse!

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use to do that all the time on uncle sams dime with jet boats in the navy but these are not made for that! Course our buckets weren't plastic and resembled the rotax ones more than a Yamaha!

At least to often! I love a good sub move once and a while!;)

Last edited:

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im not suggesting sub moves, but when you pull forward into slip and throw it into reverse to slow etc

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with you @tracerrx i wasn't trying to imply sub moves but only wondering what was the max rpm they tried it at!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You still have plenty of reverse. We only take on third on a single engine setup and one sixth on a twin. We've even tried a sub move with our cheap plastic prototype and we slowed dramatically but did not submerge the bow. I'd say you'll have all the reverse thrust you'll want and lots more lateral that you need.

tracerrx

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks will, but with the 90 degree thrust, do we still reverse "straight" if wheel is not turned? Any video?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will this work without fins?
If so, how effective is it?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes standard reverse when wheel is straight, as you turn the wheel the lateral thrust increases proportionately as the wheel turns. You won't lose any reverse thrust performance of the wheel is straight.

These work with or without the Thrust Vectors. The Thrust Vectors neither help not hurt the Lateral Thrusters ability to steer in reverse.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @tracerrx you should be able to reverse better now in a straight line! Only one third of the thrust is being directed through it on a single engine boat! That lateral thrust will help to keep the boat from "slipping" or favoring one side while in reverse! At least that's my understanding! Please correct me if I am wrong.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @tracerrx you should be able to reverse better now in a straight line! Please correct me if I am wrong.
Based on the detailed video on twin engine setup @JetBoatPilot provided it appears to show no straight line benefit. . . . . .the reverse nozzle only appears to engage the lateral thrusters when hard over.

However, I am sure Will is going to chime in here.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maximum lateral thrust is achieved when hard over. You have zero lateral thrust when the wheel is straight. As you turn the lateral Force is increased proportionately to the angle of the wheel's rotation.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for setting me straight @JetBoatPilot and @0627Devildog! As much as it pains me to agree with a marine! :):mad:
When I stopped eating crayons in 2004, I grew enough brain cells back to be able to follow along with, and understand internet videos that are less than 10mins in duration.