• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Video = Moving pictures w/words. . . . . .you must have been an 03.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol... I'm just going to go with that cause I would embarrass myself and those that attained my rank! Well played sir!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was there any noticeable difference moving forward with this additional item hanging below the pump? Any cavitation added on take off or loss of top speed or anything of note?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The unit does not hang beneath the hull so no negative side effects that we're aware of.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is buying two single engine units for a twin engine boat over kill was this tested at all? I'm guessing the reason for two models was to keep a certain price point. Just curious if the difference of doing this would be significantly noticeable to justify the additional cost?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot, looks essential! (That's what I plan to tell the Admiral...!) Question though - I think I only saw TVXVs. Presumably this is compatible with the older TV XLs and before? (Aside: I forget - is/was there an 'upgrade path' from XL to XV?)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is buying two single engine units for a twin engine boat over kill was this tested at all? I'm guessing the reason for two models was to keep a certain price point. Just curious if the difference of doing this would be significantly noticeable to justify the additional cost?
I would think based on the videos provided that 2 single engine units installed would not provide a significant enough benefit since when hard over you will always have the lateral thrust of 1 unit hitting the other nozzle. In fact, it may have adverse effects as it bounces off the other nozzle.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think based on the videos provided that 2 single engine units installed would not provide a significant enough benefit since when hard over you will always have the lateral thrust of 1 unit hitting the other nozzle. In fact, it may have adverse effects as it bounces off the other nozzle.
BRP's design would have the same flaw but they do it which would lead me to believe there maybe an advantage to it but I could be very wrong it definitely would not be the first time I was if so lol.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BRP's design would have the same flaw but they do it which would lead me to believe there maybe an advantage to it but I could be very wrong it definitely would not be the first time I was if so lol.
I am making a best guess on what I interpret the function to be based on the video. . . . I believe the BRP bucket design is much different as it doesn't really direct flow towards the opposite jet nozzle on twins.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So once again I must agree with my devil dog friend! The brp design brings the reverse at less than ninety degree angles under the boat but also not complete zero degree angles as you can see with the bucket design. Jet boat pilots will increase lateral thrust as steering is turned harder in either direction. The lateral thrust is much closer to a right angle I believe. But once again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot, do they only work with the Thrust Vector XV or do they also work with older Thrust Vector models?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm in!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So once again I must agree with my devil dog friend! The brp design brings the reverse at less than ninety degree angles under the boat but also not complete zero degree angles as you can see with the bucket design. Jet boat pilots will increase lateral thrust as steering is turned harder in either direction. The lateral thrust is much closer to a right angle I believe. But once again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
I no longer have my BRP product to go out and inspect maybe @ScarabMike mike can chime in on this one. If I remember correctly they are not dead 90 degree but it is only a slight angle because the neutral reverse is reliant on flow coming from both ends of the gate going backwards at a slight degree. At least on my old ski there was no hole on the bottom of the nozzle like on the Yamaha. So even in a straight back up reverse there is flow hitting the other pump and because the gates do not turn only the nozzle inside the gate the direction of flow is never adjusted only the amount of flow based on how much you turn the wheel so it should be hitting the other pump at the same angle not matter how much the wheel is turned. In order for BRP to get lateral thrust as they call it as well the degree of angle is very slight only enough to put a little reverse action on it but must still be near 90 degrees to achieve lateral thrust.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will draw my experience with the navy jet boats. The bucket was much closer to a brp design from what I can tell almost identical. Yamaha seems to be the outlier in that regard. So I guess I was agreeing with you @Robert Sands because I know that the bucket design for brp is almost identical to what we had in the navy. Just no where near as robust. But flow was the same.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will draw my experience with the navy jet boats. The bucket was much closer to a brp design from what I can tell almost identical. Yamaha seems to be the outlier in that regard. So I guess I was agreeing with you @Robert Sands because I know that the bucket design for brp is almost identical to what we had in the navy. Just no where near as robust. But flow was the same.
I do agree the Navy and Coast Guard ones look almost Identical at least from what I have seen. You have had a much closer look at those then I have though.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So when I first started looking at jet boats I thought no way would a Yamaha bucket do what I have seen Hamilton marine jet drives do. But since no pleasure boat dealer will offer bucket controls independent of the throttles I had to compare many more things leading me (my wife really) to the yamaha. Until they will offer us independent bucket and throttle controls the true potential of jet boats will not be reached. Some will say that no wake mode in a Yamaha gives you that but your left with an inferior bucket. But I digress and don't want to pull this thread off topic.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Until they will offer us independent bucket and throttle controls the true potential of jet boats will not be reached.
Some have installed aftermarket shifters to achieve independent control of buckets and throttle. It can easily be done.