• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn, I' have a conf call this morning and I'm trying to watch the videos a the same time... not easy.

My first thought is that this is a nice small package and it looks very impressive.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice work @JetBoatPilot. I may have to jump in on the preorder. I am thinking of having my lift turned around so I can back in my slip and the lateral thrusters would make it much easier.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot any problem with debries getting stuck in the lateral thrusters? Sounds like the standard twin engine design may be better in this regard vs. two singles on a twin?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot any problem with debries getting stuck in the lateral thrusters? Sounds like the standard twin engine design may be better in this regard vs. two singles on a twin?
Good point especially around piers and docks I have seen lots of sea grass, that could potentially clog the thruster. Jet Boat Pilot is located in Panama City so I am sure they have had experience with the grass.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point especially around piers and docks I have seen lots of sea grass, that could potentially clog the thruster.
I would think if debris makes it through the impeller, its not likely that it would even enter the thruster thats covering only 1/3 of the nozzle when hard over. Though possible.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot , thanks for making and posting all of the informative videos. The product looks great and easy to install.

Full disclosure, I plan to buy a set of singles and try them with my cobra jet fin and fang system (I will need to remove the outer fang on the each pump). If i have to remove both fangs on each pump I will do so and determine at that point if I should keep them or sell them at a loss. Realizing in either case that I know, understand and accept the risks / liabilities of potential inter-operability problems.

I'm not sure yet if I will order them now or later. The introductory price point is great but the earliest I could get them is mid September I probably won't get a chance to test them before my boating season here in ncal is over.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot , thanks for making and posting all of the informative videos. The product looks great and easy to install.

Full disclosure, I plan to buy a set of singles and try them with my cobra jet fin and fang system (I will need to remove the outer fang on the each pump). If i have to remove both fangs on each pump I will do so and determine at that point if I should keep them or sell them at a loss. Realizing in either case that I know, understand and accept the risks / liabilities of potential inter-operability problems.

I'm not sure yet if I will order them now or later. The introductory price point is great but the earliest I could get them is mid September I probably won't get a chance to test them before my boating season here in ncal is over.

I have the same set up. I'd be interested to know your results.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will there be a JetBoat group buy thread soon?
At this time since we don't know exactly all the details on pricing and such, the group buy will have to be put on hold. The target price of $249.95 is likely to go up to $299.95 after the pre sale is over because I don't know how many we'll sell and I can tell you unless we're selling lots of them we won't be able to justify $249.95 machining them from sheet stock. Long term we hope to get the volume up to a number where a quality glass filled resin injection molded part is feasible and at that time the cost could be $249.95 for a single as a permanent retail.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To date that has not been a problem. Debris that makes it through the "grinder", which is the rotating impeller and the stator blades, usually is too small to be concerned with. Even then the inlet is only covered by about a third of the exiting reverse thrust so I don't think we'll see much trouble there. I will keep en eye open for this however and thanks for your question.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Please PM me.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I'm confused. What is benefit to buying 2 singles over the set for twin engines.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused. What is benefit to buying 2 singles over the set for twin engines.
Two of the videos mention putting single thrusters X2 on twins. The way each pump makes lateral thrust. The twin only design only has one pump making lateral thrust. It's only 100 more to do it so I decided would go max thrust.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Two of the videos mention putting single thrusters X2 on twins. The way each pump makes lateral thrust. The twin only design only has one pump making lateral thrust. It's only 100 more to do it so I decided would go max thrust.
@JetBoatPilot - Is there much more thrust to be gained considering when hard over you'll be shooting water at the other pump/thruster?

Was this tested at all?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot have you tested on a 24 foot boat? I'm assuming a 24 foot would be slower/harder to get turning tHan your 21. Have you found this to be true?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One issue I can see is the single thruster has moving parts, a possible point of failure. Only time will tell.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to see the single engine Thruster on a twin engine versus the twin-engine thruster video in reverse. Also looking forward to seeing more videos. The informational videos are great

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd be interested in seeing the thrusters at max 'no-wake' throttle. In the videos it looks like the movement is very methodical. I can't tell whether the captain is feathering the throttle(s) to keep the boat controlled or if the movement is slowed with this part. The stock boats seem to cover a lot more ground, albeit in an undesired direction.

My main concern with possible reduced thrust is whether there will be a net benefit. If the thrust is more usable but there is less of it there may not be a significant improvement overall.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have the same set up. I'd be interested to know your results.
Exactly. I would do the same. Personally, I would not want to sacrifice gains in lateral stability at speed with Cobras for anything. Albeit not as much of an issue with the keeled hulls, in non-keeled/all 19' hulls it is a night and day.
Especially for those who are primarily towing skiers/wakeboarders, it is certainly something to consider.

--