• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a video that does what you asked. We will gather more info as we move along and report back our findings.
Sorry, didn't realize that video was of the boats in neutral. Curious what a normal boat does then compared to those. Trying to think now if I wander that far when spinning. Looks like the dual single engine install spins better, but slower?

For the original figure 8 videos, I assume for the twin engine boat it was a twin engine install? Will be curious if a dual single engine install lets you accomplish it even better and hopefully with less extra throttle input.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ptwb that video was at 2000 RPMs in reverse. In neutral I am not sure if they would help much.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot have you tested these at full 'no wake' speed (2400ish rpm) or full throttle (4500rpm) reverse? Curious about the maximum lateral thrust potential or what directon the boat goes in these scenarios

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not believe the exhaust will blow into the other jet since they will be turned. The exhaust should be blown just beyond the other jet pump.
I don't believe that is the case based on the video's I am watching. . . . the thruster itself is fixed to the NON moving part of the jet pump (No?). . . . the nozzles move over the fixed thruster to cause the lateral thrust unless I am mistaken. (Surely there is a first time for everything) <------That is a joke for those of you who don't know me. = )

In this configuration, a single jet unit on dual jet boat would leave the exhaust of 1 thruster pointing directly at the other pump.

@JetBoatPilot

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am ready to order but confused what to order for a dual engine boat!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This video purportedly shows that (2) single engine units work better than the standard twin engine setup. . . . But if thats the case I missed why there would even be a twin option that doesn't perform as well as another. . . .

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This video purportedly shows that (2) single engine units work better than the standard twin engine setup. . . . But if thats the case I missed why there would even be a twin option that doesn't perform as well as another. . . .

I have been watching over and over and not seeing much of a difference. I actually think the regular twin setup goes backwards a bit quicker before it starts turning. As these are intended for while in reverse i would prefer that. Control over reverse looks awesome but i know in close quarters i need to not have much throttle yet smoothly accelerate in reverse.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand that 2 single units give better latteral thrust and can make it pivot tighter when engaged, but we still need reverse control as well. Having that configuration is taking 30% of reverse control from both pumps. To me the better option is one pump giving lateral thrust at a time. I dont need to perform reverse donuts just get my ass to the dock so to speak

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that we all know what it is and how it works it would be great to see close up video of these tests. Or at least a view of the stern while demonstrating the capabilities. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and he's getting those through production now!

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree.
i have already ordered and am now contemplating updating to dual singles for my twins. it does look like better option just by the video

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I understand that 2 single units give better latteral thrust and can make it pivot tighter when engaged, but we still need reverse control as well. Having that configuration is taking 30% of reverse control from both pumps. To me the better option is one pump giving lateral thrust at a time. I dont need to perform reverse donuts just get my ass to the dock so to speak
good point

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great job will! Thanks to you and your team for all your hard work!

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Definitely ordering. I just need more info to help decide which ones to get. 29 days left to decide.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Agreed, @JetBoatPilot if 2 single engine units work as well or better than the twin setup why not standardize on one design to reduce production and product costs?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot have you tested these at full 'no wake' speed (2400ish rpm) or full throttle (4500rpm) reverse? Curious about the maximum lateral thrust potential or what directon the boat goes in these scenarios
We have tested them at 1500, 1800, 2000 and 2500 rpms. I have found the results to be about the same as far as the turn radius is concerned but our best results when performing the figure 8 maneuver was when at about 2000 rpm's.

Also when you push the reverse lever to the stop and give it max rpm in reverse the flow is definitely increased and the lateral forces also increase, but you also add lots of additional rearward thrust at those rpm levels and the results are not optimal in my opinion. I use short bursts of high rpm if I need to get the stern moving quickly and then back down the throttles to something more manageable like 1500-1800 rpm.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't believe that is the case based on the video's I am watching. . . . the thruster itself is fixed to the NON moving part of the jet pump (No?). . . . the nozzles move over the fixed thruster to cause the lateral thrust unless I am mistaken. (Surely there is a first time for everything) <------That is a joke for those of you who don't know me. = )

In this configuration, a single jet unit on dual jet boat would leave the exhaust of 1 thruster pointing directly at the other pump.

@JetBoatPilot
Yes this is correct but the flow is below the pump so most of the force is absorbed by the articulating keel. On non articulating keel models the flow would go directly under the pump and provide even more turning ability than an AK model, at least in theory. I need to test a non AK version with a set of singles x 2!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce in the early days we plan on offering a twin engine version with no moving parts to limit the potential for warranty claims and failures in springs etc (bear in mind we will buy quality springs) until we've had some of the singles in the field for a while. We believe that installing two singles on a twin engine version does give more control but like some have said they would not want to port lateral thrust into the other pump and like the idea of simplicity. Once we've had these in the market for a sufficient period of time to collect the data and feedback from customers we will be able to determine if offering one version will serve everyone's needs best.

I personally love the idea of no moving parts and ultra reliability. I will try to get some more footage tomorrow or Friday of our 212 with tandem single engine versions installed. Hopefully we will be able to definitively prove that the tandem single setup is superior so we will have a plan forward. Trust me, I love the idea of managing one less sku number. The logistics of this thing gets much easier if we have only one part to build.

And yes we plan on showing more docking maneuvers that are more real world. Our mission at first was to get metrics so that we could measure improvement. We wanted to eliminate skill from the equation and allow the product to tell us what to do. That is why you see the 360 reverse maneuvers and the figure 8s. They are measured tests that don't really require much in the way of working the throttles.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Cambo the pumps we've experimented with have the holes drilled and tapped on both sides. Not sure how far back they go pre-drilled and tapped, but you're right if you don't have those locations already drilled and tapped then you'll have to perform that bit of surgery on your own. I'd be interested to know at what point did Yamaha begin doing this. This way we can add it to the install guide and our marketing materials. Some may not want to go through all that trouble to install the Lateral Thrusters.
Im not positive but I think 2005 and earlier models have no drill holes. Maybe sending the correct drill bit and tap for the earlier models would help with the install. With all the different thread pitches and exact drill bits that are required for proper tapping this would eliminate some of the difficulty for someone that does not have these items laying around the garage. If you could try it out yourself to see if its not to difficult drilling and tapping that piece with a video would be very helpful for the earlier model boats.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We also thought about making a special bracket that mounts to the bottom corner pump Bolt instead of having to drill and tap.

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
The pump on my LX2000 is a bit different than the pump posted above. Have you done any trials on the 2-stroke boats? I'll probably be pre-ordering either way, I'm sure I can make it work. Let me know if you want any pictures. Great design on the single especially with the check valves.