• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot - If you should be approached about an exclusive patent buyout I would hope that you at least try to negotiate exclusive rights to sell to the after market for model years up to a certain year. Yamaha can of course make a small change so that the aftermarket ones won't fit in such a case. Selfish I know but I want to see all exsiting boats be able to get their hands on them. Business is business though; so to that end there is another reason for buyers to jump in now.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I feel the same way. We think if we did do something with Yamaha we'd favor a situation where we continue to service the aftermarket and they have the ability to put them on their boats at the factory level. Not sure if that is how it would all play out but that seems to me the best way at the moment.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Comparable Control Left OR Right

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While you're talking about patents and other approaches, I'll mention another approach that could also help with reverse although you would probably have to cut out a bit more from installed TVs.

Currentlly, you are installing a tray that sits beneath the reverse outflow to try and grab some of the opposite side reverse thrust and redirect that across the primary reverse thrust out laterally to the side.

Another idea is to just attach an extension nozzle to the bottom of the existing reverse opening (that turns with the wheel) that splits the reverse thrust diagonally, 30deg?, 40deg? When the steering wheel is straight, in theory you still have reverse (although might need to 'tune' the reverse dropdown gate). If you turn hard over, now the reverse thrust is both going out laterally and reverse. The trick is to try and keep that reverse nozzle extension up tight against the pump to keep it out of the flow when on a plane.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot would using two single setups vs a twin engine set up in addition to throttle sync be a pain?? I'm guessing you would need to unlock the throttles each time??

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I unlock my throttles anytime I am slow maneuvering (docks, channels, etc) in case I need to use the engines independently.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know your plate is full, but maybe it would be nice to document somehow in the videos what exactly you are doing with the throttles and if possible maybe document/video what happens when one just leaves and uses both throttles sync'd and also how much better it 'maybe' gets when one starts messing around with individual throttles. When I 1st got our boat, I went out two days solely for the purpose of experimenting with the throttles and while sometimes I 'felt' like maybe it was a little bit better messing with individual throttles, I basically gave up and just don't bother with individual throttles anymore. I didn't see a day/night difference using them individually. On at least two occasions I accidently gave it more throttle than I needed!(which is why I really miss that bump feature from the seadoos, they were so manueverable without even needing to touch the throttle).

Your product looks amazing, but I hope it's not 50% product and still 50% expert throttle work (or whatever the percentage might actually be). It would be nice to see what happens putting both engines in reverse and not touching them anymore vs putting one or more in reverse plus boosting an engine too throughout the figure 8.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While you're talking about patents and other approaches, I'll mention another approach that could also help with reverse although you would probably have to cut out a bit more from installed TVs.

Currentlly, you are installing a tray that sits beneath the reverse outflow to try and grab some of the opposite side reverse thrust and redirect that across the primary reverse thrust out laterally to the side.

Another idea is to just attach an extension nozzle to the bottom of the existing reverse opening (that turns with the wheel) that splits the reverse thrust diagonally, 30deg?, 40deg? When the steering wheel is straight, in theory you still have reverse (although might need to 'tune' the reverse dropdown gate). If you turn hard over, now the reverse thrust is both going out laterally and reverse. The trick is to try and keep that reverse nozzle extension up tight against the pump to keep it out of the flow when on a plane.
We thought about that when in the original concept phase. I think there were two reasons for not being able to go that direction.

1: Hamilton Jet already does something similar and the reverse control is backwards when compared to a Yamaha reverse control. Its counterintuitive.
2: If I'm reading your post correctly you'd be attaching to the nozzle or reverse gate which means your deflector would be moving with the steering. This means that when you have left lateral thrust you'd have cancelling right lateral thrust. I read through it really quickly so if I'm reading it wrong I look at it again. Can you do me a favor though, just to keep this on topic, please send those sorts of questions and suggestions to me in PM form? Thanks for your willingness to share suggestions!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know your plate is full, but maybe it would be nice to document somehow in the videos what exactly you are doing with the throttles and if possible maybe document/video what happens when one just leaves and uses both throttles sync'd and also how much better it 'maybe' gets when one starts messing around with individual throttles. When I 1st got our boat, I went out two days solely for the purpose of experimenting with the throttles and while sometimes I 'felt' like maybe it was a little bit better messing with individual throttles, I basically gave up and just don't bother with individual throttles anymore. I didn't see a day/night difference using them individually. On at least two occasions I accidently gave it more throttle than I needed!(which is why I really miss that bump feature from the seadoos, they were so manueverable without even needing to touch the throttle).

Your product looks amazing, but I hope it's not 50% product and still 50% expert throttle work (or whatever the percentage might actually be). It would be nice to see what happens putting both engines in reverse and not touching them anymore vs putting one or more in reverse plus boosting an engine too throughout the figure 8.
We just tested this morning with our version 6 Twin Engine setup and I can tell you that strictly from a stand still and doing a reverse 360 (simulating backing towards a dock for most but we use it for a metric so we can measure improvements in our iterations) leaving one throttle in neutral and one in reverse gives you a tighter turn radius. By about 30%. the reason why is that when you back up hard to the right or left, the more rearward momentum you have, the larger the turning radius. So for someone who is looking to precisely steer into a tight spot, using one motor for lateral thrust is optimal.

Conversely, today when I did the figure 8 with our new twin engine setup I was able to accomplish something that until now was not possible. I was able to maneuver the figure 8 at a significant rate of speed. The reason this is hard to do for the stock boat and our earlier versions of Lateral Thruster Prototypes, is that the faster you go the more force is required to overcome the bow steer. Until today I tried to maintain a slow crawl through the course to successfully capture it on camera and not look like I was completely out of control. Today I got footage of our 212 LS maneuvering through the figure 8 course and, while at full throttle in reverse in the turns, was able to complete the course with a respectable 10 feet from the marker piling that we used for the test.

My theory is that wind may have played a bit of it since we had a little wind, but also we were using a larger water channel when compared to the single, which is only available on the twin engine version. This allowed us to push more volume of water through the lateral thruster and give us more push at high rpm levels.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot would using two single setups vs a twin engine set up in addition to throttle sync be a pain?? I'm guessing you would need to unlock the throttles each time??
Hey @bobbie we've found that around the dock you want to use one motor for supreme control. You can use both motors but you will not get near the precision that the Lateral Thrusters afford when using two throttles at once. Think about it. You have one jet pump giving you full reverse and one giving you 2/3rds reverse and 1/3rd lateral for a total of 1/6th lateral thrust. The lateral thrust is not as effective. But when you reduce the engine on the inside of your turn to neutral and push the stern with the engine that is on the outside of your turn you now have 1/3rd of your thrust going laterally. Many will not want to think about it. They'll just want to go out and drive, and that's ok. You can just go out and drive and learn the best way you're comfortable. You may never be in a situation where you need the amount of control that the method I speak of affords. But the good news is that if you do need it, you now have an option.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just think...if you shut one engine off you could get 1/3 lateral thrust!!! Kinda jesting; but I actually do use only one engine sometimes for very slow maneuvers. It is like slowmo.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Leaning towards the twin setup now. Will wait to order when Will gives us the latest update on which is best. I don't like the idea of springs in the dual singles.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am leaning towards twin too. Keep in mind a quick change to neutral or forward while reversing the steering wheel is an effective way to change your angle. I am excited about this because in challenging docking situations, the time it takes to do that can sometimes screw you up and it chan also be a bit more effective than desired. Also, on my earlier comment on one engine. Consider if you go dual, doing that will only let you turn quickly in just on direction. It would be hard to reverse a lateral thrust without the other engine on.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Seadeals we tested again today. I have called all of the customers that had ordered tandem singles for twin engine use and have told them that the testing is telling me that there is too little difference between the two to make it worth the extra $100 it costs to buy a tandem single engine setup. I am working on a video to prove that but I don't have it ready yet. Hopefully this week.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Will. Order placed for the simpler twin set-up. We appreciate the extra testing.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Seadeals for sure. I am doing this for you guys and for me as well. I don't ever want to be guilty of going to market with a product that is less than perfect and I don't want to believe in a product that I have not personally tested and proven our finding. More video to come soon.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lateral Thruster Side Shift Towards Dock

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Appreciate your honesty. Going to call tomorrow to place order for twins. Can't wait.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for your business @Pinhacker71 . I think you are really going to enjoy them!