• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@M@_ we have not tested but know we can make it work. Can you send pictures? Better yet are you near Panama City?

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In your next round of videos, can you please include what happens to boats trying to spin in place in neutral for unmodified, twin engine setup, and two singles on on a twin. Also, preferrably on a rudderless model.

Thanks!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ptwb in neutral the lateral thrusters are not really going to help. There is not enough flow going through the pump to give them much influence.

I will try to test with a rudderless 24 footer next week.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ptwb in neutral the lateral thrusters are not really going to help. There is not enough flow going through the pump to give them much influence.

I will try to test with a rudderless 24 footer next week.
I understand, it would be nice to be absolutely sure that when in neutral and turned hard over to spin in place, that it still spins in place and doesn't crawl around. If it did stay in place and as a plus, spin slightly quicker, that would make this product that much more awesome!

I rarely use reverse. I use neutral way way way more then reverse and around crowded docks, I will just rely on the neutral to creep around boats and onto my trailer. Just want to make sure that it works either exactly as before or hopefully with a small benefit of spinning just a bit quicker.

One big feature I missed from my earlier seadoo was how when the boat was in neutral and the steering was turned hard and bumped against either stop, the engine got a slight throttle boost and that is one of the biggest things I miss from my seadoo. It spun in place perfectly and at a nice rate, but bump the steering and I got that little bit of boost without needing to touch the throttles. It was awesome. I've thought it would be nice if there was a way to add something similar to yamaha and maybe boost the one outside (or inside?) engine. I wish the no wake speed switch was a simple wire on/off to trigger that higher rpm, but not that simple I guess.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll try and see if there is any noted improvement next time I'm out. I will let you know @ptwb

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys, this morning I was able to get some new footage since the weather was permitting. We have produced the first of many docking maneuver videos that will help you to see the advantages of installing a Lateral Thruster on your Yamaha Jet Boat.

Lateral Thruster Back 90 Degrees Towards Dock

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe sending the correct drill bit and tap for the earlier models would help with the install.
We also thought about making a special bracket that mounts to the bottom corner pump Bolt instead of having to drill and tap.
How about sending self tapping screws and a paper template for drilling 1/8" pilot holes to help get started.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce I get a bit nervous asking people to drill holes when we don't necessarily have to if there is another location nearby that will do that same job.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys, this morning I was able to get some new footage since the weather was permitting. We have produced the first of many docking maneuver videos that will help you to see the advantages of installing a Lateral Thruster on your Yamaha Jet Boat.

That's awesome!! :winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup"

TheGreekTitan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

This kind of illustrates why you would need twin singles, no? What if you were docking on the other side of the dock, and needed port engine reverse?

Haven't pre-ordered yet, but I will once I figure out the best configuration. But, I think this video just answered at least one more question I had. Thanks.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@TheGreekTitan actually no, the twin engine version does the same thing. Select the side of the boat that you want to push and use that throttle lever. That is how I've taught myself to use the lateral thrusters on a twin engine boat. If I want to push the stern to the left I use the starboard motor to push the boat left. I leave the port motor in neutral to minimize rearward crawl. When I want to push the stern to the right I simply use the port motor to PUSH the stern to the right. In this way a twin engine user has more options when docking than a single engine user does.

TheGreekTitan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@TheGreekTitan actually no, the twin engine version does the same thing. Select the side of the boat that you want to push and use that throttle lever. That is how I've taught myself to use the lateral thrusters on a twin engine boat. If I want to push the stern to the left I use the starboard motor to push the boat left. I leave the port motor in neutral to minimize rearward crawl. When I want to push the stern to the right I simply use the port motor to PUSH the stern to the right. In this way a twin engine user has more options when docking than a single engine user does.
Thanks for the reply, and that is how I do it also.

I'll watch a couple more videos, and see where my thinking went wrong. I'm trying to ascertain the difference between the two options available for the twin engine boats. I'll just sit back again, and read more until there is a better consensus of which setup is best.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is awesome. Like some here, I'm going to take a moment to think about whether I want the dual singles or the dual duals setup but (Wife Permitting) I plan to pre-order before the deadline.

My initial thought is that with the "standard" dual setup, if you have the wheel hard-over, one engine would provide more "reverse" (what there is of it) and the other would provide more lateral thrust. This would give you another controls "combination" to play with when maneuvering. Not sure how much it would ultimately matter though.

I also prefer the simplicity. No moving parts is a beautiful thing.

(Plus, if everyone else goes with the dual setup, I'll have a JBP collectors item. Like all rare works of art it will be worth a fortune 150 years after Will has passed on....)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @biglar155, we are literally testing everyday, filming everyday and then analyzing the film when we get back to the office. The data that I gathered today is telling me that you may be right about the twin engine setup vs the tandem singles. I am going to do one more test in the morning before I give my official findings, but if I am right I may be about to make it very clear which way twin engine users are going to need to go. That's a good thing cause its going to save you $100 and have no moving parts!!!

Also I do like the idea of having more potential reverse than less.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Will's videos on youtube is pretty amazing. I really like how it works. go watch it!

@JetBoatPilot have you contacted Yamaha for supplying parts to their manufacturing for future boats? this will be a game changer for them

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez we have a close friend who works for Yamaha and we've shown him. I'm sure if Yamaha is interested there will be some conversation.

Thank you also! We think this is going to sell boats as well as our products!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez we have a close friend who works for Yamaha and we've shown him. I'm sure if Yamaha is interested there will be some conversation.

Thank you also! We think this is going to sell boats as well as our products!
I was always a little disappointed that they wouldn't work with one of the fin vendors on the fin systems and instead "developed" their "articulating keel" <cough cough rudder cough cough>.

It seems like Yamaha can't stomach the idea of someone outside the company developing something they might have to buy. They are however, willing to spend time and money engineering a sub-par solution to get around patents.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we did the patent search we found 4 other reverse enhancement devices, created by individuals (not companies from my reading) that had already been patented. None of them pertained to what we're doing so we were good to go with our patent. But the point I want to make is that two of the four had been assigned. One to a little company called Bombardier and one to another little company called Brunswick (Sea Ray Boston Whaler Parent Company). It seems that if two giants like them could see value in purchasing the IP then maybe Yamaha could do the same. Its been done before.