• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pullen724 our unofficial position at the moment is that the Lateral Thruster will be compatible with the Thrust Vector XV but will not be compatible with other fin systems. The reasoning for this will be detailed in a video we will produce later today or tomorrow, but the basics are as follows. We don't have the time or resources available to make them compatible with other fin systems and more importantly we don't want to get involved in a situation where our product is connected to another aftermarket product which remains in the water at high speeds. Our position has, and always will be "less stress is best" when it comes to our Thrust Vector fins. We don't allow them to be down in the flow at high speeds for a reason. We believe that if our Lateral Thruster is connected to a device which remains in the water at high speeds, and, if a submerged object strike occurs, no one will be able to determine which product is at fault. It makes our jobs much easier to make a clear statement up front that we will not warranty any Lateral Thruster that has been installed on a boat with another fin system and we will not be held liable in the event of a failure to that boat's jet pump system.

I am sure that our attorney will make this all sound much more official but that is my unofficial position on it as we stand today.
Well if it can't go with the fins/fangs, no go for me. I love JBP products but I truly believe Cobras are just better for me rather the the TV. Until TV can be set in the water at high speeds and with better material, I kinda see it as no use for me. :( Bummer. These look nice too.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
EDITED CONTENT, PLEASE READ!!

I went back through after some testing this morning and found that this video post was not accurate. The video I had pulled from my library when editing was supposed to be a tandem single engine setup with both throttles in reverse. In fact the video that I used in the production was a maneuver with one throttle in reverse and one in neutral. This means that the single engine Lateral Thruster performs about the same as the twin engine version when doing tight maneuvering. I have now tested it and confirmed that there is not enough difference between the two to justify the additional expense that a tandem single engine setup would cost.

I sincerely apologize for the misinformation that we published. We have removed the video from our YouTube channel and will be contacting everyone that purchased tandem single engine sets from us to clarify and to make it right.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot have you tested on a 24 foot boat? I'm assuming a 24 foot would be slower/harder to get turning tHan your 21. Have you found this to be true?
We have not tested on a 24 yet but I have one here in the shop that I plan to test with very soon. We did test on a 23 footer and it tested really well and we were able to dramatically reduce the reverse turn radius, navigate the figure 8 maneuver and even spoke with the boat owner after the test and asked his opinion on the target price point. His words and I quote were " $399.95? I'd pay $1000 for this level of control".

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if it can't go with the fins/fangs, no go for me. I love JBP products but I truly believe Cobras are just better for me rather the the TV. Until TV can be set in the water at high speeds and with better material, I kinda see it as no use for me. :( Bummer. These look nice too.
Your boat has the keel and articulating keel so I wonder if you'd get what you're looking for from the stock setup? Have you tried the boat without the fins?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like the twin single engine thrusters almost spin the boat on a pivot with little to no rearward movement. That's in scarab territory there. Loved my scarab reverse.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your boat has the keel and articulating keel so I wonder if you'd get what you're looking for from the stock setup? Have you tried the boat without the fins?
Yes sir I did. I didn't have fins all of last season. I have been using the fins all of this season. I'm just not a fan of the gliding effect without the fins. I like responsive turns I suppose. Since I can control it in low speeds, my main goal is more control in high speeds which the keel keeps you from doing.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like the twin single engine thrusters almost spin the boat on a pivot with little to no rearward movement. That's in scarab territory there. Loved my scarab reverse.
We're still gathering data and want to use an averaging system. I hope to be able to report back that the reverse control is much greater with tandem singles being used. Time will tell. Stay tuned!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes sir I did. I didn't have fins all of last season. I have been using the fins all of this season. I'm just not a fan of the gliding effect without the fins. I like responsive turns I suppose. Since I can control it in low speeds, my main goal is more control in high speeds which the keel keeps you from doing.
I understand and I know we can't win em all. Thanks for your feedback.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
JetBoatPilot Lateral Thrust Vector Key Design Elements

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^^Great job Will! ;)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think this implementation is awesome and a lot better/simpler than the ideas i had for it!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Better control in reverse great work I'm very interested looking at the bracket and planning for install I may have some extra work if its even possible . The 2005 and earlier jet pumps did not have the zinc anodes on the pump. It looks like the bracket needs those attachment points. Will have you drilled and tapped these with success? It would have to be removed due to the hull being in the way the drill would not come close to aligning for a drill and tap. See the attached photo with no zinc anodeport nozzle.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This forum sucks...............sucks all my money out of my pocket. I went ahead and changed to a pair of the single engine model. I anticipate more thrust. Also, I do not believe the exhaust will blow into the other jet since they will be turned. The exhaust should be blown just beyond the other jet pump.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice design! Nice trick with the swinging doors for the single engine install. I was thinking of similar concept a while back, a tray beneath the nozzles, although since I was only trying to improve my twin engine boat, and I have more inboard room, I was having the flow that was getting grabbed from each corner just route through it's own tube over each other thus no mechanical parts. I was trying to design two parts to print per side that I would bolt the pair together in the middle and then to each pump and it would redirect flow from a hard turn either direction without needing those mechanical doors. I was also trying to design a simple duct to attach to the bottom of the existing reverse nozzle to help it better align and match up with the reverse director 'tray'.

Hopefully your patent does not have a claim in it about the swinging doors because somebody could design the same part to work without the doors for a single engine boat.

Could you post a video of what happens on a twin engine boat (with both a twin engine install and two singles) when in neutral and just trying to spin?

Very nice to see $399 as an early adopter price.

Keep up the great work!

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Bruce you'll be able to use any version of Thrust Vectors but older versions of XV and all XL models will require a bit of trimming on the leading edge of the fins, which we can provide a template for.

Also we'll be glad to upgrade older versions to the latest and greatest XVs at a discounted rate. We'll call it customer loyalty discount! Lol
@JetBoatPilot to make it simple could you put a copy of that template in all the orders you send out. I ordered yesterday and i have the XL thrust vector

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot to make it simple could you put a copy of that template in all the orders you send out. I ordered yesterday and i have the XL thrust vector
Yes we have plans to do that already. Thanks for your order!!!!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice design! Nice trick with the swinging doors for the single engine install. I was thinking of similar concept a while back, a tray beneath the nozzles, although since I was only trying to improve my twin engine boat, and I have more inboard room, I was having the flow that was getting grabbed from each corner just route through it's own tube over each other thus no mechanical parts. I was trying to design two parts to print per side that I would bolt the pair together in the middle and then to each pump and it would redirect flow from a hard turn either direction without needing those mechanical doors. I was also trying to design a simple duct to attach to the bottom of the existing reverse nozzle to help it better align and match up with the reverse director 'tray'.

Hopefully your patent does not have a claim in it about the swinging doors because somebody could design the same part to work without the doors for a single engine boat.

Could you post a video of what happens on a twin engine boat (with both a twin engine install and two singles) when in neutral and just trying to spin?

Very nice to see $399 as an early adopter price.

Keep up the great work!
We actually patented both methods of accomplishing this same outcome. We patented a version with doors and without doors. We feel like the language is pretty broad and that someone would have to pretty well design a product that would be completely ineffective in order to get around our patent.

Here's a video that does what you asked. We will gather more info as we move along and report back our findings.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Cambo the pumps we've experimented with have the holes drilled and tapped on both sides. Not sure how far back they go pre-drilled and tapped, but you're right if you don't have those locations already drilled and tapped then you'll have to perform that bit of surgery on your own. I'd be interested to know at what point did Yamaha begin doing this. This way we can add it to the install guide and our marketing materials. Some may not want to go through all that trouble to install the Lateral Thrusters.