• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just guessing, but I think the Thrust vectors are for forward movements at low speed and the Lateral thrusters are for reverse / neutral movements.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just guessing, but I think the Thrust vectors are for forward movements at low speed and the Lateral thrusters are for reverse / neutral movements.
Thank makes sense.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thrust Vectors will still be what we consider a must have even after the release of the Lateral Thrusters. Thrust Vectors will enhance the slow speed steering while in forward and the Lateral Thrusters, a new must have in my opinion, will enhance the steering while in reverse.

As for patents we've really worked hard to protect this idea. The last time we filed a patent it was for the Thrust Vectors and let me tell you we learned a lot of what not to do.

I look forward to getting some of your feedback after we get some out there in the market. Especially in some real world scenarios like docking and backing up to a crowded beach.

We hope to be able to share some more details on Monday. Sorry for the delay. We're crossing every t and dotting every i.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Now I am even more interested in seeing how this bugger works. I had to throw a hard reverse while in shallow water today to avoid a large rock. The downward reverse jet stream kicked up a ton of debris and I got a rock wedged into the impeller. Took me a half hour to pull the bastard out. Thank God for those crappy pliers that come with the boat.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am sure it will be a great add on....but $400-$600 is WAY to much for me to spend for something I almost never use!
For reference a tech at my local dealership designed a rotax-like reverse gate and they want over $1k (I don't recall the exact price) for a single engine setup. Mind you, this was a steel/metal component which looked very heavy duty, to the point where I questioned the longevity of the control cables. I'm very interested to see how it's made & what it's made of but I think the target price is pretty reasonable.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot so i had to switch over to the cobra's when i had the wake wedge due to the fact the thrust vectors hit the wedge. So now...we don't use a wedge. Any deal for those who want to switch back to the tv's and get the new product??

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes we'll offer a $100 Cobra Fin trade credit, plus if you buy the Thrust Vectors with the Lateral Thrusters we'll do a combo pack to help you save a few bucks there as well. More details to come soon.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For reference a tech at my local dealership designed a rotax-like reverse gate and they want over $1k (I don't recall the exact price) for a single engine setup. Mind you, this was a steel/metal component which looked very heavy duty, to the point where I questioned the longevity of the control cables. I'm very interested to see how it's made & what it's made of but I think the target price is pretty reasonable.
I in no way, meant that the target price was unreasonable......I regret if that is how I came off....I was just saying that for me the utilization would not be worth the cost.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes we'll offer a $100 Cobra Fin trade credit, plus if you buy the Thrust Vectors with the Lateral Thrusters we'll do a combo pack to help you save a few bucks there as well. More details to come soon.
Recently I have read a few posts on here that have a problem with the amount of spray the TV put out on the swim deck when at speed and they are deployed full up. This was given as a reason for switching to the Cobra. Any response to that issue?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We designed a new cross member for Thrust Vector XVs in 2016 that integrated a spray guard and has completely resolved the spray issue.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was just saying that for me the utilization would not be worth the cost
I agree, the time in "reverse" is minimal at best and would be very hard to justify a heftily priced mod that would be utilized solely at those times.

That being said... of all the scratches on my beautiful black boat (moment of silence please)... I would say that over 90% of them were provided during no-wake maneuvers (especially when the current in the water over powered my reverse abilities).

The repair costs multiply quickly and would easily justify a modification that would assist in being able to steer my vessel and not play bumper-boats with the dock.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We designed a new cross member for Thrust Vector XVs in 2016 that integrated a spray guard and has completely resolved the spray issue.
Thanks....that is really good to know!

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I in no way, meant that the target price was unreasonable......I regret if that is how I came off....I was just saying that for me the utilization would not be worth the cost.
I understand. I'm sure some don't reverse enough to justify the price. im like Bennie. I recently damaged my boat (>$450 repair) because the currents overwhelmed my reverse thrust in close quarters with a steel bridge. I wish something like this came out sooner. It would already have paid for itself. I'm just super interested to see the design. The only concept I can think of is a series of redirect tubes bolted under the transom which would look like a tumor. I trust JBP is more creative than me!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I truly believe that he Lateral Thrusters will save you money and more importantly dignity while maneuvering around the dock. As a matter of fact you may impress all those ramp rats with your new found maneuverability, and no you don't have to tell them you have a mod bolted on. You can tell them that you're just that good!!! Lol

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
...As a matter of fact you may impress all those ramp rats with your new found maneuverability...
Those people are everywhere? I thought that was just a local thing. WTF

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's what you do when you're broke but want to go boating, so you just hang around the ramp and harass the weekend warriors which most of the time provide lots of free entertainment!!! Lol

You have to admit some pretty funny things happen when families try to back a trailer, launch a boat and all pile on. It can be less than graceful for newbies and those that have had one too many beverages.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand. I'm sure some don't reverse enough to justify the price. im like Bennie. I recently damaged my boat (>$450 repair) because the currents overwhelmed my reverse thrust in close quarters with a steel bridge. I wish something like this came out sooner. It would already have paid for itself. I'm just super interested to see the design. The only concept I can think of is a series of redirect tubes bolted under the transom which would look like a tumor. I trust JBP is more creative than me!
To me there are two issues....one is the amount of thrust and the other is directional control. I don't know if the JBP solution provides more thrust (not likely), more control (obviously), or both (not likely). Better control of the same thrust would be a benefit to some but would likely not help in your situation where you needed more thrust.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This sort of situation will have to be proven out over time. I am sure after the launch we will have lots of early adopters that will want to jump in a test the new product right away. Others will sit on the sidelines and wait for early feedback from the early adopters. They'll tell their stories of how the product did in their real world situations. We're trying our best to reproduce real world scenarios in a safe and measurable way but there is no substitute for feedback from customers who have nothing to gain from telling their story. Just like when we debuted the Thrust Vectors on the old forum, we started with a really cool product, and as people used the Thrust Vectors in their unique situations they gave us recommendations and we adapted where we could. Today the product is ten times better than it was day one and this story will probably play out similarly with one exception. We're a lot more mature today and have more resources so we've done a better job of thinking ahead and have really pushed hard to make a completely 100% product right out of the gate with zero negative side effects. Pretty soon it will be up to all of you to tell us where we hit the mark and where we could improve.. We'll be up for the challenge!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This sort of situation will have to be proven out over time. I am sure after the launch we will have lots of early adopters that will want to jump in a test the new product right away. Others will sit on the sidelines and wait for early feedback from the early adopters. They'll tell their stories of how the product did in their real world situations. We're trying our best to reproduce real world scenarios in a safe and measurable way but there is no substitute for feedback from customers who have nothing to gain from telling their story. Just like when we debuted the Thrust Vectors on the old forum, we started with a really cool product, and as people used the Thrust Vectors in their unique situations they gave us recommendations and we adapted where we could. Today the product is ten times better than it was day one and this story will probably play out similarly with one exception. We're a lot more mature today and have more resources so we've done a better job of thinking ahead and have really pushed hard to make a completely 100% product right out of the gate with zero negative side effects. Pretty soon it will be up to all of you to tell us where we hit the mark and where we could improve.. We'll be up for the challenge!
THIS is how you run a business folks. Humbly accepting feedback and constantly adapting to resolve any issues that will improve your product. Even things as small as some spray on the swim deck.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
THIS is how you run a business folks. Humbly accepting feedback and constantly adapting to resolve any issues that will improve your product. Even things as small as some spray on the swim deck.
Yes, I agree. @JetBoatPilot (JBP) has consistently asked and used feedback to better the offerings and benefit his clientele. We were so impressed when Will visited the Shelbyville gathering in 2016. In addition to spending time on the water with us, he spent time asking each boater about their boating experiences and what would make it better. He asked about products they had and what they liked and disliked. He took that information back to JBP and used it to refine current products and even conceptualize new ones. Love the JBP approach! Keep it up JBP