• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio MX770 speakers in 2011 SX210?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Maybe someone can identify the stock speakers on the '10 242, if they are Seaworthy, the difference in sound quality as well as what the speaker can do compared to a better speaker is night and day. I don't know when they changed the speaker in the 242 but the Polk db651 is standard now in the 240. Maybe someone can chime in on the standard speaker in the '10 242 for you @pagekl . I would hate to recommend a lesser speaker than you already have. I liked the stock HU in boat my boats...when it was working. I never replaced the HU in the 230 but I had a very nice sound system. I did replace it in the new 240 out of necessity, the stock brand new one gave me fits and continued to fail, even after repair. So I changed it to the Fusion unit that is a great unit. You can get replacement speakers in the $100 range for a pair, and upwards of $300 or more. And there is a big difference all the way up. @OrangeTJ , you may be able to purchase them online at an advertised price that looks better, but what is a warranty worth and having a dealer stand behind what they sell? We have beat this topic to death for years, and there will always be those that want dealer support and understand that a storefront and having the manufacturer behind you is worth something. And it isn't more money really because the warranty and support has real value. If that isn't of value to you, then don't buy it. There are guys that pay thousands for an extended warranty on the boat and have for years, and there are those that wouldn't spend a dime for it. No harm no foul on whichever way you want to go. Some advice is free, other advice is free with purchase...online sales from unauthorized sellers give neither. Do yourself a favor, make the phone call and talk to Odin and get a price for what your after, it may be more, but it won't be a big amount more, but it will be competitive for what you are getting. They can't advertise the pricing that they may give because they are a dealer. Not sure if it will be a savings, but it will be competitive. Not many things would any of us buy new, with zero warranty from the maker.

Oh, shoot a picture of those speakers @pagekl , maybe that will help!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will give them a call. I do shop for value, not just price.....but since I have almost never usedthe warranty on any product (never have on audio equipment), it rates fairly low in my overall value equation. Service and consultative advice are of real value to me, though. Thanks again for all of the input. This will be a fun off-season undertaking.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And keep us posted...my install will be progressing too, always good ideas and solutions to share!

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Odin, @Earmark Marine, I'm considering upgrading the speakers on my boat. I'm not planning on replacing the head unit unless it wouldn't produce the sound I am looking for in a new speaker. I don't really want to get into the sub and amp setup. I would just like a speaker that sounds just as good or better than my factory speakers which a few are starting to sound like they maybe busted. The 242 LS has a decent sound system IMO and with some of the speakers sounding like they are busted, it's time replace all the speakers. Any suggestions from all is definitely welcomed. This would be the first mod I will have done on this boat since I bought it in 2010.

The JL MX650 speakers will sound good with radio power only, but you're definitely not getting the maximum performance out of them (or any decent speaker) without amplification. A more efficient, lower power handling speaker is an option, but stepping up to a nice marine speaker will make a huge improvement in overall sound.

A possible solution would be to use a small amp like the Clarion XC1410. It doesn't require the heavy gauge power wiring or amp mounting board like a larger amp does, but it's still a big improvement over radio power. Check it out below...

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17983&cat=301&page=1

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, all, for your insights. Earmark certainly has a solid reputation. So, getting away from any preconceived notions about what I want to install, here are the parameters and objectives:

1. Total budget of no more than $1,000. Preferrably less.
2. Want to be able to hear music clearly at cruising speed - 30 -35 mph in my SX210. The boat is loud.
3. Want to be able to play music softly but with good detail when anchored and relaxing with friends in a cove; looking for balanced and accurate sound
4. Would prefer not to cut any extra holes in my boat. I'm OK enlarging holes in stock locations but don't really want to cut up other parts of the boat
5. I will install myself. I'm capable of this and, while I realize a boat is not a car, I have done installs of head units, amps, component speakers, subs (including building simple enclosures) in several of my own vehicles.
This package at $679 is about as good as it gets, short of going all the way to HD series amps and M770 speakers. And it leaves plenty of room in the budget for other things.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17374&cat=384&page=1

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No sub. Co captain isn't on board with a sub for some reason.

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In that case, the MX770 is capable of a little more low end, provided it's tuned cautiously and according to your listening habits and music. Some customers can safely get a lot more low end from their full range speakers than others can based on the type of music they listen to and how loud they like to listen. The M770 with more power would really be the best solution if you're not doing a sub, but the price is still going to be around $1400 in a package deal, which busts your $1000 budget pretty good.

If you have the MX770's mounted and installed in a way that maximizes their potential to reproduce low end, and if the amplifier is tuned correctly, they will be capable of giving you the best full range sound of any non-subwoofer setup for under $1000. I'd like to see a sub in the system, but co-captain's decision supersedes my suggestion for sure!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ha! Thanks for the input. Honestly, I think I could probably more easily get the more expensive M setup through my co captain than I could the sub. She is pretty dead set against cutting the hole for an IB sub and I'm not willing to sacrifice underseat storage (read ballast bag) space for a good enclosure. My own experience tells me that there's no substitute for a sub, but given that constraint I want to get as much out of speakers in the stock locations (even if the holes are bigger) as I possibly can. It's her boat, too, so I know full well that I'm best off respecting her wishes! Thanks again for your expertise and input. The M setup seems to be about 66% more expensive, so the real question is: does it sound 66% better?

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To me it's sounds 66% better than the MX & XD series without a sub, in terms of how the midranges sound and the available clean volume.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The JL MX650 speakers will sound good with radio power only, but you're definitely not getting the maximum performance out of them (or any decent speaker) without amplification. A more efficient, lower power handling speaker is an option, but stepping up to a nice marine speaker will make a huge improvement in overall sound.

A possible solution would be to use a small amp like the Clarion XC1410. It doesn't require the heavy gauge power wiring or amp mounting board like a larger amp does, but it's still a big improvement over radio power. Check it out below...

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17983&cat=301&page=1
Thanks for the help on this. The MX650 speakers may be the way I go especially if they are a direct fit and I don't have to cut anything. Once agin, thanks for the info.