• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL M VS MX Series

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a substantial difference between the JL M and JL MX speakers. Looking at getting towers and the MX towers are a lot less pricey. Is there a reason behind this ? Specs look the same.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference. The MX are really solid speakers, I ran 4 pair and fed them 75 watts rms from a JL amp on my initial setup. The size of the voice colis and power handling in the M series is a big step up, not sure what specs you saw. I sold my MX650s and went with M770s for incabin and M880s for the towers.

Its really up to your listening preferences and budget, BUT as someone who had both types there is really no comparison because you can send the M series stuff 200 watts rms all day and the volume and sound quality will blow you away.

My advice is to go with the M880s for towers, you WILL NOT be disappointed, and can always turn it down, but when I was running MX there was a limit to how loud you can get them to go, which was a problem for me.

Unless price is a major hurdle, I say pony up the extra coin...you wont be disappointed, perhaps M series tower and solid power to it...but in the event you go with MX and its not loud enough then you got another issue.

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you think about 4 MX650’s and adding two cockpit 7.7 M series speakers ? Would that be feasible

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Strongly suggest you reach out to Odin at @Earmark Marine

He will put together a very competitive package deal for you and provide excellent advice on selection and every step of setup right through amp tuning. Earmark is an authorized JL mobile audio dealer with many years of car and marine install AND Internet sales and service experience. Odin hooked me up for my SX-230 a few years back and did the same for my brother's boat install in 2019. Not sure how closely he monitors his account here. Earmark Plano, Inc. :: MARINE

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks but most stuff is ordered already. Have the towers and amp. I just need to know if the 7.7’s will fit in the cockpit area for the 2 additional speakers

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The short answer is yes, you can fit them, likely with a spacer depending on where u want to mout them.

Can you list out the current equipment you have @Ctheodores...that makes a diff in what you might want to run.

Depending on what you have, M vs MX would dictate the best fit.

I actually have substantial input from Odin @Earmark Marine on my final system (sold me everything but my subs and sub amp, killer deal btw) and thats after countless emails/call/pics with JL Tech support to get it dialed in.

To me, if your only running a single pair of M770s in the cockpit and the rest are MX650s its not worth it as much, esp if you cant throw a good amount of power to them.

Once we know what you got, can fig out best route.

I did my sytem in 3 phases, as I learned more was able to zero in on exactly how to get it to my liking.

How do you listen to your music, type...that also helps.

I have swivel clamps and the remote knobs to help me adjust on the fly...all come in handy.

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4 MX650 6.5s to replace the original speakers
JL M3 770 towers
JL 600/6 amp

My goal is to add another amp when I spring for subs (that phase comes next).
With that being said I was planning on running the M 7.7s in the cabin for now and eventually giving them the full power they need.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think the M770s alone would be worth it...but it would sound good.

Instead I would add 2 more pair of the MX650s, 1 set in the cabin, the other off the transom so you get sound out back. Im a big fan of those speakers off rear because you then have full sound front to back.

Then you can add the JL 1000.5 and that would run those speakers plus the subs you want, and could have full control over the system.