• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jumping in with both feet! First jet boat.

CedarCreekGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I’m a long-time I/O boater (37 years and I’m 48 😀.) I’ve been reading here for a while and considering a jet boat. All you guys are really great and have made this site so informative and helpful.

We have a place at Cedar Creek lake southeast of Dallas that I’ve grown up skiing on. We just parted with our 1990 Sea Ray 190 (which was actually almost 21’.) That’s right -1990! We have a (grandfathered) enclosed boathouse and the thing looked like a 10 year old boat. But after struggling a few times to pull a couple 250-275 lb buddies back into the boat and with kids that are getting into wake boarding it was time to upgrade.

So yesterday we added this beauty to the family! 4C6018A1-9C61-4620-A42A-3FD785880E99.jpeg9968E1AF-C33A-4285-BC08-2F7955BF1DA3.jpeg62551251-6374-49F2-AC95-0C0F5ED880C8.jpeg

New 2019 212 Limited S. My boys are jacked! Our weekends are filled with baseball tournaments this Spring but we are looking forward to enjoying it Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks to all you guys for making this such a fun and informative site. You’ve got a great group here.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi guys,

I’m a long-time I/O boater (37 years and I’m 48 😀.) I’ve been reading here for a while and considering a jet boat. All you guys are really great and have made this site so informative and helpful.

We have a place at Cedar Creek lake southeast of Dallas that I’ve grown up skiing on. We just parted with our 1990 Sea Ray 190 (which was actually almost 21’.) That’s right -1990! We have a (grandfathered) enclosed boathouse and the thing looked like a 10 year old boat. But after struggling a few times to pull a couple 250-275 lb buddies back into the boat and with kids that are getting into wake boarding it was time to upgrade.

So yesterday we added this beauty to the family! View attachment 91186View attachment 91187View attachment 91188

New 2019 212 Limited S. My boys are jacked! Our weekends are filled with baseball tournaments this Spring but we are looking forward to enjoying it Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks to all you guys for making this such a fun and informative site. You’ve got a great group here.
Congratulations.. that is one gorgeous boat...

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great choice. I went from an old Sea Ray 190 to a yamaha a few years ago too. Enjoy.

CedarCreekGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys! Giroux - how was the transition for you? We are adding more padding to the slip now - worried about the first few times berthing it, especially if it’s rough. Seemed fairly maneuverable at low speed on the test drive but I wasn’t trying to dock or trailer it.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It took a bit to get used to the jet differences, there is alway thrust come out at idle. Spend some time backing in and out of the slip, spinning around and docking to get the feel for it. Getting mine off the trailer still gives me head aches. I probably just need to put it in deeper. But the reverse doesn't have the pull of and out drive.

CedarCreekGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good advice-thanks. If I struggle with it for long I’ll get the cobra fins but I’ve heard the 2019’s are supposed to be a little easier so I’ll try stock first.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Beautiful. Are you sure it will fit in the boat house?

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
A8F52A41-0CCF-4A4B-9465-ED435141A1EE.jpeg

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a beautiful boat, congratulations!

My tip, just have fun messing around with it for a bit. If you try to drive it like a conventional boat it will handle like crap. Drive it like a twin engine jet boat and it will handle awesome!

It took a bit to get used to the jet differences, there is alway thrust come out at idle. Spend some time backing in and out of the slip, spinning around and docking to get the feel for it. Getting mine off the trailer still gives me head aches. I probably just need to put it in deeper. But the reverse doesn't have the pull of and out drive.
Deeper helps. I don't presume to think you need any tips. For us, we'll typically have the boat ready to launch and I'll pull up to the ramp and park so all my wife had to do is back straight down the rest of the way. I'll hop in the boat and have her back it in until the rear just starts to float, I'll start the engines. Climb up and disconnect the bow. Once re-seated, I'll signal her to back in a bit more, I'll put the boat into reverse as she backs the trailer a bit more. Once she feels she's got us deep enough, she taps the brakes and the momentum of the boat carries us off, if we're not already. Everyone has their own system and ultimately it depends on how comfortable your wife feels handling either the boat or the truck.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome! We went from a 1987 Four Winns Horizon 210 to a 2016 242 Yamaha and havnt looked back once! So many good things about it. You will enjoy!

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s awesome, we just traded our 1989 Sea Ray 180BR for a SX210. Same as you, can’t wait to try it out!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Good Better memories await you. Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the jet boaters!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your story is similar to mine, went from a 1984 I/O that my dad bought new to a 2017 212 LS