• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just bought 2017 AR 190, is the ribbon delete applicable to this model year?

jgpncll

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2017 AR 190 and was wondering if the ribbon delete is applicable to this model year and engine?

If so, where do I need to purchase from?

Thanks in advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2017 AR 190 and was wondering if the ribbon delete is applicable to this model year and engine?

If so, where do I need to purchase from?

Thanks in advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Absolutely!
There are several threads on this, with very good info. Here is one, but there are several:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/1-8l-ribbon-delete-part-numbers-and-information-listed.12567/page-5#post-329942

But there is more. Let us know if you have specific questions. Generally a solid gain of about 200RPM at WOT. A must do mod if boating at elevation/high altitude.

--

jgpncll

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are only about 300' above sea level. But, anything I can do to make the engine more responsive and efficient I am going to do.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are only about 300' above sea level. But, anything I can do to make the engine more responsive and efficient I am going to do.
Ribbon delete (and snorkel), sealed/ported tunnel/intakes/pump segments (NO cavitation), impellers with no dings, and don't over-fill oil. That's about all what you can do.
L13 cones are another solid mod, but more important in single engine boats which are a lot more prone to cavitation.
For sharper turns at speed - Cobra fins/fangs, set "down at speed".

--

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely!
There are several threads on this, with very good info. Here is one, but there are several:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/1-8l-ribbon-delete-part-numbers-and-information-listed.12567/page-5#post-329942

But there is more. Let us know if you have specific questions. Generally a solid gain of about 200RPM at WOT. A must do mod if boating at elevation/high altitude.

--
I boat anywhere from 4,200' up to 7,000'. I have the high altitude impeller, would I still benefit from the ribbon delete?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I boat anywhere from 4,200' up to 7,000'. I have the high altitude impeller, would I still benefit from the ribbon delete?
If it is a 190 (N/A) for sure!
If it’s a 192 - I don’t know. Probably not as much. Also way more involved.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it is a 190 (N/A) for sure!
If it’s a 192 - I don’t know. Probably not as much. Also way more involved.

All I need is the $40 part from Riva, that seems too easy.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All I need is the $40 part from Riva, that seems too easy.
So it’s a 190? Can’t tell from your profile...
This is the first mod high altitude dealers recommend I believe.
That Riva ring is optional, just don’t leave the rubber flange alone if not using the ring.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it’s a 190? Can’t tell from your profile...
This is the first mod high altitude dealers recommend I believe.
That Riva ring is optional, just don’t leave the rubber flange alone if not using the ring.

I have a 2018 AR190. The Riva website says the ECU compensates for the additional air flow. Does that offset the gain?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 AR190. The Riva website says the ECU compensates for the additional air flow. Does that offset the gain?
I have never heard of anyone being unhappy with ribbon delete in the 1.8N/A. They sound and work better. May be a touch louder, but the 190 is stupid loud to start with!

I would see this as a must do mod.
It’s reversible, too, lol.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never heard of anyone being unhappy with ribbon delete in the 1.8N/A. They sound and work better. May be a touch louder, but the 190 is stupid loud to start with!

I would see this as a must do mod.
It’s reversible, too, lol.

So my options are to just remove the wire mesh filter and put back together or put back together with the $40 part after removing the filter?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my options are to just remove the wire mesh filter and put back together or put back together with the $40 part after removing the filter?
Either way, I have not heard of anyone who could tell the difference (with/out Riva ring), I used the ring as it is not expensive but there are two different sizes as they changed the intake manifold between years and models - it can be confusing.
The most important thing is to NOT put the rubber seal back in if you are NOT using the ring, as that rubber thing will get sucked up into the intakes and bad things happen. Other than that, it is pretty much a fool proof mod. In theory you will need a flame resistor type of air filter to replace the paper air filter (per somewhat antiquated USCG guidelines) but most don't (I don't).

--

jgpncll

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Order the Riva part. It is inexpensive and worth the money.

I noticed a difference in throttle response, acceleration and top end. I am at sea level.

I suspect you will really see a big improvement at your altitude.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed a difference in throttle response, acceleration and top end. I am at sea level.
The difference before/after ribbon ribbon delete in general, or with/without Riva ring after ribbon delete in particular?
I'm curious about that.

No doubt the ribbon delete in general (with or without the Riva ring) is great!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the ribbon delete on my '17 AR190. Not really sure if it helped or not. This was after I had the L13 cone installed, and I suspect I'm sneaking up on "stuffing the pump" since I've never hit the rev limiter, even with considerable cavitation before the L13.

It doesn't take long to do, and is pretty easy overall. Hardest part for me was figuring out how the airbox went BACK into place.

Here's what it looks like:
ribbon-delete-1.jpg

Here is where it's missing from (Lower left of engine area).
ribbon-delete-2.jpg

Here is what it looks like in my hand. DO NOT put the rubber thing back. Just take this whole assembly out, and toss it in a box.
ribbon-delete-3.jpg

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ thanks for the pics...there are few DIY or even reference photo threads.

knocked mine out in 20 minutes. no sleeve. took the snorkel out too easy with a flathead while I was at it.
will test out both AND my cobra fins Thursday...should be a new boat.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I'm going to go ahead and do the ribbon delete this weekend on my 2020 sx190. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page. I do not need to buy anything in particular in order to do this? Just remove the mesh and the black gasket (I do not see this gasket in the picture above) I do see the orange gasket which I assume must stay in correct? I'm alright with hand tools but I'm not a mechanic or a fabricator so nothing else is done other than what I mentioned above? Just remove and put back together? Oh and prolly a silly question but I do not see anything about this on the 2020 models, I assume they still do have the mesh filter, or does anyone know if Yamaha changed this for 2020?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I'm going to go ahead and do the ribbon delete this weekend on my 2020 sx190. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page. I do not need to buy anything in particular in order to do this? Just remove the mesh and the black gasket (I do not see this gasket in the picture above) I do see the orange gasket which I assume must stay in correct? I'm alright with hand tools but I'm not a mechanic or a fabricator so nothing else is done other than what I mentioned above? Just remove and put back together? Oh and prolly a silly question but I do not see anything about this on the 2020 models, I assume they still do have the mesh filter, or does anyone know if Yamaha changed this for 2020?
I've read that the 2019 and up models have a different intake manifold and the process isn't as straight forward. Might nose around a bit more for that info before diving in.

The black gasket is around the spark arrester "ribbon" in the last picture. It's the shiny black part, the dull silvery part is the ribbon. It's sitting in a bin in the garage, I can take a better pic if you need it.

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couple questions.
I've read that the 2019 and up models have a different intake manifold and the process isn't as straight forward. Might nose around a bit more for that info before diving in.

The black gasket is around the spark arrester "ribbon" in the last picture. It's the shiny black part, the dull silvery part is the ribbon. It's sitting in a bin in the garage, I can take a better pic if you need it.
Couple questions. How do I remove the snorkel. I see it in the air box and is it as easy as removing it and leaving like that? Also with the riva ring do I need to put that inside the rubber sleeve that was holding the arrestor? Thanks

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also , do I need to use thread locker when I put the throttle body bolts back ?