• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just Installing a Subwoofer

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this the best location to mount a sub on the 190/192 boats?
I actually ended up moving the sub into a truck style box inside that compartment. I did not like the way the free air sub sounded. I left the grill over the hole so you can't tell its gone.

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats kind of where I have questions and concerns. In my old boat I put in some 6" kickers .. they were just on the gunnel mounted in a board that was carpeted, so it was fully free air behind them, no boxing in at all. This was with a new Clarion head unit and a
JBL MA6004 4-Channel Full-Range Marine Amplifier
pushing them. They sounded like dodo. Took them same speakers out, put them in a box and put em on the deck and they sound awesome. Just a regular ol box I made, nothing fancy and no air volume calculations and all that stuff.

So i put JBL marine 6x9 in the boat and they were better but still not great. Took a pair of them out and put them in a 6x9 box and they sounded much better.

So my concern with the POLK's is that even puttin an amp behind them, without boxing them in that they wont sound as good as they could. Granted I am in no way interested in trying to figure out a way to box in the areas behing the speakers, but you guys that have put in the POLK 5000.5 amp only, say its definitely an improvement?

I am not trying to get super big sounds, but I would like to be able to crank it up a bit while were hangin out at the sand bar, its usually at least mine and my bro-in-law's boat. It does fine now, but ... ya know it can always do better.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
One thing I also noticed: most amp's frequency response is from 50hz to about 200hz.

My wet sounds ht4 goes all the way to 20hz.

But seriously, what sub should I get for my sx192?

DGap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not photoshopped... Here are a few piView attachment 6556 View attachment 6557 cs taken in the channel at havasu on memorial weekend myself... Loud and clear, but we all agreed we wanted him no where near us when he beached...
Havasu is a really strange place, especially on holiday weekends. The ratio of people compensating for something is extraordinarily high.

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats kind of where I have questions and concerns. In my old boat I put in some 6" kickers .. they were just on the gunnel mounted in a board that was carpeted, so it was fully free air behind them, no boxing in at all. This was with a new Clarion head unit and a
JBL MA6004 4-Channel Full-Range Marine Amplifier
pushing them. They sounded like dodo. Took them same speakers out, put them in a box and put em on the deck and they sound awesome. Just a regular ol box I made, nothing fancy and no air volume calculations and all that stuff.

So i put JBL marine 6x9 in the boat and they were better but still not great. Took a pair of them out and put them in a 6x9 box and they sounded much better.

So my concern with the POLK's is that even puttin an amp behind them, without boxing them in that they wont sound as good as they could. Granted I am in no way interested in trying to figure out a way to box in the areas behing the speakers, but you guys that have put in the POLK 5000.5 amp only, say its definitely an improvement?

I am not trying to get super big sounds, but I would like to be able to crank it up a bit while were hangin out at the sand bar, its usually at least mine and my bro-in-law's boat. It does fine now, but ... ya know it can always do better.

I believe some speaker baffles would of helped in your situation ...... I always use them on my vehicles. Makes the mid bass sound much better.

upload_2016-6-16_16-30-53.png