• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just to make me feel better... what stupid thing did you do last boating season?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Too deep w/current Pearce. I didn't even mention the 3rd pair of Maui Jims have been sent back for repair last week because I climbed under my truck and grazed the lens on concrete.

Add $51.00 to the $440. :(

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Too deep w/current Pearce. I didn't even mention the 3rd pair of Maui Jims have been sent back for repair last week because I climbed under my truck and grazed the lens on concrete.

Add $51.00 to the $440. :(
@TN888. I think you won this contest. I, on the other hand made NO mistakes last season. Nope, not one. Just don't ask my wife.:p

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced one flat tire on the trailer with another flat tire that I got the year before but forgot to have replaced. Drove out on it and boated all day before noticing the problem by then it was past 6 pm on a weekend so I waited 2 hours for trailer u.s. A sub of tow boat u.s. To come out with two new tires. I didn't determine what caused the second flat so the following weekend I flattened one of the new tires pulling out of the driveway. There was a 2" x 4" with a nail head sticking out of the end of it. When the first tire went over the 2" x 4" it would pivot so that the second tire would be punctured by the nail head, in the side walls so it neither tire was repairable. That rusty old nail that probably cost less than five cents ended up costing me close to $300.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thread and it will probably help as a reminder. So here is full disclosure
1) Someone (?) left the anchor down while getting underway. It was pulled behind for at least 100 feet before it was noticed. It is a small anchor but I wake up sometimes thinking about how bad that could have been

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At the end of the season I went to pull my boat out of its slip. The drive is about 20 minutes from my house to the marina. Then I have to wait about 20 min more for another family using the launch. I finally back the trailer in and no boat keys!
Thanks for the reminder! :facepalm:

Did this last season too, except we were on our way to a cabin for a week. Luckily we were only a little over an hour away.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a moment when I couldn't get either engine started. I'm running around checking everything, but she's not starting. After 10 minutes of total confusion, and 10 minutes of wife panicking - I notice my throttles aren't in neutral. :arghh: Oops!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
LOL...almost all of these, we have all done in one form or another. This is a good spot for the checklist, it helps to set good habit patterns and teaches a methodical discipline. Some will love it, others will hate it, but I live in an occupation where checklist discipline is not only mandatory, it is a life saver. In the boat, we get hurried, and don't take the time to make sure, and stuff happens. Having the first mate catch you forgetting is all it takes to get you to pay more attention. This isn't a lecture, I have don't almost all of those posted, either with this boat or previous. Anyway, here is a good checklist and you can download it, use Word to alter it to your liking, laminate it, and put one in the seatback pocket in the tow vehicle and one in the boat. It is funny how some of these become second nature, like the throttles in neutral, you do that once in front of everyone, and you will check that first from now on! It says 230 on it, I typed that, you can change it to any of these boats for the most part...and change anything that doesn't fit.

Attachments

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced one flat tire on the trailer with another flat tire that I got the year before but forgot to have replaced. Drove out on it and boated all day before noticing the problem by then it was past 6 pm on a weekend so I waited 2 hours for trailer u.s. A sub of tow boat u.s. To come out with two new tires. I didn't determine what caused the second flat so the following weekend I flattened one of the new tires pulling out of the driveway. There was a 2" x 4" with a nail head sticking out of the end of it. When the first tire went over the 2" x 4" it would pivot so that the second tire would be punctured by the nail head, in the side walls so it neither tire was repairable. That rusty old nail that probably cost less than five cents ended up costing me close to $300.
That sucks!....or blows...air out of your tires.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reminder! :facepalm:

Did this last season too, except we were on our way to a cabin for a week. Luckily we were only a little over an hour away.
Plugs out, throttle not in neutral, rope in intake.
Thanks to txav8r's checklist, I've yet to leave out the plug or unhook transom straps.

I keep a combination lock box (like realtors use on houses) hooked to the engine with a spare set of keys.
I also keep a spare key for the truck in there in case I drop them in the water.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Spare truck key! Now why didn't I think of that! We left Chester in the truck while we unhooked transom straps and threw some stuff in the boat (no one on ramp)...the keys were in the truck...you know where this is going. Chester is barking and wanting to make sure we don't leave him, and he steps on the door lock button and locks himself in the truck, keys and all! It was about 105 out that day. I already had my rock to break the window, but my neighbor got in our house after we called, and grabbed a second set of keys and brought them to us. That should be a key in my spares for sure. Thanks for the idea @MNdrifter !

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a moment when I couldn't get either engine started. I'm running around checking everything, but she's not starting. After 10 minutes of total confusion, and 10 minutes of wife panicking - I notice my throttles aren't in neutral. :arghh: Oops!
HA !! I had this wonderful experience, but I went as far as re-trailering it and bringing it back to the driveway......but..but..It was dark out and I couldn't see the throttles.........and my wife was promising a night time nookie cruise...My mind must of been elsewhere...

My dumbassery for the year was throttling up while still tied to the dock.....not too outrageous, but really impresses the crew after talking about how awesome their boat ride is about to be...

the big bonehead I'm waiting for :: is pulling it out of the garage with the tower still up. Needs to be down to enter/exit, sometimes I raise it to work on it while in garage.....I've added this to the hitch as a precaution...now I need something to remind me to put that on the hitch when i raise the tower......lord help me

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only thing I can really think of is when I was leaving the ramp dock, wind was blowing pretty hard away from the dock I was tied to (starboard side), I untied the aft line, told my son to get ready to untie the bow line. Then some assclown in a little catamaran boat thing pulled up to the ramp on the left side of me and held on to that dock, well my son had already untied the bow line and the engines didn't start fast enough as I drifted toward the guy so I jumped off the back and pushed my boat away from his, water was about chest deep and I knew I stepped on something but didn't look cause I was in a hurry to get engines started and away from the docks. As I idled through the marina I looked down and there was a puddle of blood under my foot on the carpet.

I guess I stepped on a shell or glass or something, I probably should have went and got stitches but I got my first aide kit and wrapped it up as best I could, it was at the base of my big toe. I carried on the rest of the day running around the beach and stuff.

Looking back, I know it was stupid to jump off and push my boat away from his. If it was deep enough I couldn't have touched bottom there is no way I would have held my boat, and could have gotten squished between them, the other guy was in no position to try to slow the impact (which probably would have mounted to nothing anyway).

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Only thing I can really think of is when I was leaving the ramp dock, wind was blowing pretty hard away from the dock I was tied to (starboard side), I untied the aft line, told my son to get ready to untie the bow line. Then some assclown in a little catamaran boat thing pulled up to the ramp on the left side of me and held on to that dock, well my son had already untied the bow line and the engines didn't start fast enough as I drifted toward the guy so I jumped off the back and pushed my boat away from his, water was about chest deep and I knew I stepped on something but didn't look cause I was in a hurry to get engines started and away from the docks. As I idled through the marina I looked down and there was a puddle of blood under my foot on the carpet.

I guess I stepped on a shell or glass or something, I probably should have went and got stitches but I got my first aide kit and wrapped it up as best I could, it was at the base of my big toe. I carried on the rest of the day running around the beach and stuff.

Looking back, I know it was stupid to jump off and push my boat away from his. If it was deep enough I couldn't have touched bottom there is no way I would have held my boat, and could have gotten squished between them, the other guy was in no position to try to slow the impact (which probably would have mounted to nothing anyway).
I keep one of these in my head room on a hook:

It's good for pushing and pulling on/off things...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys may remember my rope problem.View attachment 16071 View attachment 16071
Wow that is bad!

I have forgotten keys and forgot to have the safety lanyard connected as I tried to start it. I now have a boat bag that has everything all neatly together. I think the worst event for me was one time when I was backing into a slip. I simply turned the steering wheel turned wrong (it was windy) and almost broadsided her against the slip! I managed to not hit to hard (no damage) and just had to turn around and bring her in right. Pride was damaged the most especially since several people were in their slips! This was kind of like when you get your first "no" when asking someone out. Once you recover from the first mishap the other mishaps are easier! HA!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep one of these in my head room on a hook:

It's good for pushing and pulling on/off things...
We have two of these. It is a great help guiding the boat both in a slip and lining up for gas. I have seen people jump off of the front of the boat and then try to control the boat. Dangerous! I have seen people slip and fall on the dock. Luckily nobody has gone into the water as the boat was coming in.