• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just to make me feel better... what stupid thing did you do last boating season?

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I forgot about the portable toilet and left it full of water in the large storage compartment and after a few freeze and thaw cycles can only imagine what I will have waiting for me in the spring.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ouch!!...lol
Fortunately I can not think of one stupid thing I did last year. So either I had a good year or my memory went to shit!

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh, I did all kinds of sill things, but that is another story!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went half way to Bimini (25) miles with only one strap up on the bimini top!

But it sounds like you could have quite a mess!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just smile and go on, admit nothing! Well, we all forget things, like ICE, the drain plug, clean out plugs, lanyard, throttles in neutral, etc. We usually only forget those things once! After that, we adopt better checklist discipline, or we just use the mental note technique, until the wife or kids interrupt our mental note technique!

I forgot I was dangling my box anchor 10' deep to clean it off before full retrieval. OUCH! I generally dangle it there and run at low speed no wake mode for a few minutes to clean it off. It works like a charm...unless you forget about it nd either increase the no wake speed or take off! I did neither, I mistakenly set a no wake speed of greater than low, and that was enough speed to get it to bounce off the hull. Luckily, it was only cosmetic, but what a PIA, or rather, PIB (pain in bow).

After You

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I jerked my best friends back out of joint learning how to pull a skier last year with my boat. He could hardly move for two weeks. It's funny today, but it wasn't at the time. I also unfastened the buckles carelessly on the stern of my boat and smashed my thumb badly. I still don't have a nail there. All and all it was a fabulous year for my family.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got stuck overnight at a an unmanned fuel dock

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got out of routine at launching and forgot the plug, I was the only adult so I docked the boat, ran and parked the truck, get back to the dock and notice the bilge running, ugggh, I know what this problem probably is, run back get the truck to reload, back to the dock for the boat and reload, luckily no one else was at the ramp,

I had somebody blow their hamstring out trying to get up slalom, I don't take the blame for that one though,

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We went half way to Bimini (25) miles with only one strap up on the bimini top!

But it sounds like you could have quite a mess!
Ha! I drove ALL the way to bimini with my fuel cap open! I guess the design makes it water resilient because I had no running problems there... Thank god.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I chipped the gelcoat on the underside of the bow...

My wife was driving, picking me up at the dock and went bow first as she normally does. I grabbed the bow to catch the boat stood up and stepped on the anchor locker which pushed the nose into the dock a bit right where a screwhead was that was for the dock bumpers (public dock). Took a nice dime sized chip out of the black gel under the bow. :arghh:

Needless to say I will be teaching myself gel coat touch ups this upcoming spring!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year my brain was failing me big time. Launched the boat a few times, forgetting to install the plugs. Wondering why the boat wouldn't move forward... :banghead:

In a hurry too much I guess

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I let my buddy hold it (212x) off the dock while I got the dock lines and he spaced out and let it bounce off the dock giving it a nice little chip. Needless to say it wasn't damaged long. I had it fixed the next day.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dove off my AR240 and lost my $220 Maui Jims. Bought a new pair and repeated my mistake following week.

$440 lost within 8 days.

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Alright I'll play along.
Backed my boat in and could not get it off the trailer - backed it in deeper and was still perplexed. Asked my son if he undid the transom straps like I asked - he says "oops".
I'm an idiot for asking him in the 1st place.

H2Joes

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the end of the season I went to pull my boat out of its slip. The drive is about 20 minutes from my house to the marina. Then I have to wait about 20 min more for another family using the launch. I finally back the trailer in and no boat keys!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright I'll play along.
Backed my boat in and could not get it off the trailer - backed it in deeper and was still perplexed. Asked my son if he undid the transom straps like I asked - he says "oops".
I'm an idiot for asking him in the 1st place.
I have done that, except @Rana was at the helm and I had forgotten to remove the transom straps!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I didn't make any mistakes like that. I made them all the season before. All of them.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dove off my AR240 and lost my $220 Maui Jims. Bought a new pair and repeated my mistake following week.

$440 lost within 8 days.
Ouch! Is the water too deep or murky to dive for them?

When I was a kid we had a sailboat that we kept in a slip at the marina. It was probably 10-15' of water at the slip most of the time. The water was always a muddy brown color. A few different times my Dad would lose his Ray Bans or somehow his stainless divers Rolex as he would be working on the boat in the slip. We had a neighbor down the street from us that was a fellow sailor and diver that was capable of swimming down and retrieving the lost items. I don't know if my Dad ever paid him with anything more then beer, but I know he saved my Dad thousands.