• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just to make me feel better... what stupid thing did you do last boating season?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our last trip out for the season and my 6 year old daughter built up the courage to go out on the tube and was very excited. I stop the boat to blow up the tube. After I get the tube unfolded and the pump ready to go, I realize I forgot the plug that holds the air in the tube. She has reminded me of this many times through the winter. I will be keeping a spare on the boat moving forward.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. While island camping at Lake George, I slipped off our dock, fell on the the boulders shoulders first and slid down in to the water head first. Leg hit the dock and left a massive bruise. Had I fallen on the right side I would be dead. The rocks on the right are all huge sharp jagged sides.

2. Left the drain plug out and on my way back from parking the truck and trailer I was wondering why the bilge was pumping. Needless to say I went swimming at the ramp.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2. Left the drain plug out and on my way back from parking the truck and trailer I was wondering why the bilge was pumping. Needless to say I went swimming at the ramp.
"3 plugs, 3 plugs, 3 plugs" is what I always say to myself when taking off the transom straps before backing into the water, so far that's helped save me from having to take that swim! :D

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"3 plugs, 3 plugs, 3 plugs" is what I always say to myself when taking off the transom straps before backing into the water, so far that's helped save me from having to take that swim! :D
Yup, I agree. I am usually good but that time we were rushing. So now I just repeat, "It is not a race, it is not a race, it is not a race. "

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just noticed that I haven't posted a reply on this thread.....that must mean I didn't do anything stupid last boating season, huh?

Whew, good thing the statute of limitations has run out....and just so I am straight on this...pre-season stupid things don't count, right?

Nothing like a clean record to start the season! :winkingthumbsup"

And since it's technically still pre-season for me anything I do this weekend while working on the boat to get it ready for the season won't count. Man, this must be how that Snowden guy feels..

Can't Touch Dis!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good stuff. I've done a couple of these goofs. Thanks for the checklist Txav8r.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How I messed up at the end of last season... Didn't move to Florida...

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I spent the last couple of days talking with other owners of the houseboat I'm on and we shared horror stories. It's amazing how common the following issues are:
  • drain plug
  • drain plug
  • drain plug
  • drain plug
  • drain plug
  • drain plug
You would think we would remember it by now. I sure as hell forget 10% of the time. Thank god I have a "check system" where 3 people make sure I didn't screw up before we launch.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On the 230, the drain plug was easy, because it lived in the table post hole on the swim deck, you couldn't get in the boat without seeing it. On the newer boats, it is fixed as part of the transom drain assembly, and not removable completely, much easier to overlook. I used a red "remove before flight" flag on my tongue pin to remind me of the shore power plug, maybe a good idea to flag a few more things!
remove_before_flight_womens_boy_brief.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Coming out of storage on the Ohio river I attempted to launch without releasing transom straps. Smart enough that I did it two days in a row.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Coming out of storage on the Ohio river I attempted to launch without releasing transom straps. Smart enough that I did it two days in a row.
LOL...ok, I am laughing with you, because...I HAVE DONE IT TOO!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I threw my anchor, anchor chain and anchor line into 20 ft of water with out tying the other end to the boat.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL...ok, I am laughing with you, because...I HAVE DONE IT TOO!
Even better second day I tried to throttle off the trailer before I realized... Transom straps

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
this might help with the habit pattern, don't want negative habits!

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I threw my anchor, anchor chain and anchor line into 20 ft of water with out tying the other end to the boat.
I have done this too! It was a $149 box anchor! No chain and the rode wasn't hooked...I had the anchor on a carabiner...BAD IDEA!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well, just to make everyone feel better....I had an OOOPS today. Today was the first day of driving to the lake with no boat in tow. We left it in our slip Sunday. Seeing as it's 80 and sunny, the kids are out of school, my daughter says she wants to go to the lake. I get the yard mowed and the house tidied up a bit and let the wife know we are heading over for a few hours. Well,since we normally take the wife's SUV to the lake and today I was driving my truck, guess where the boat keys were......Yes, my daughter and I were about 5 minutes from the Marina when I realized I forgot the keys in her vehicle. Our quick boat excursion turned into an hour joy ride for a $2 Slushy that I bought her to cheer her up. DOH! But hey, it will NEVER happen again!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, just to make everyone feel better....I had an OOOPS today. Today was the first day of driving to the lake with no boat in tow. We left it in our slip Sunday. Seeing as it's 80 and sunny, the kids are out of school, my daughter says she wants to go to the lake. I get the yard mowed and the house tidied up a bit and let the wife know we are heading over for a few hours. Well,since we normally take the wife's SUV to the lake and today I was driving my truck, guess where the boat keys were......Yes, my daughter and I were about 5 minutes from the Marina when I realized I forgot the keys in her vehicle. Our quick boat excursion turned into an hour joy ride for a $2 Slushy that I bought her to cheer her up. DOH! But hey, it will NEVER happen again!
been there
done that...once

the keys now live on the boat, have ever since.

find a good spot

and remember it........almost forgot where I put them the first time I went out after forgetting them. :confused:

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I usually launch alone, rub the boat or for half an hour or so to shake down any issues, then pick up family and friends for the rest of the day out... it's just a whole lot less stress. Third time out on the LX210 I lost my hat. It floated so I aimed for it, left throttles in forward idle, went to the front of the boat to collect the hat before I ran over it and found myself swimming. I guess I used a bit to much wax last time. Once my brain started working again it took me about five minutes to catch the boat. Since then, I've lost three hats... I let them all go peacefully. :S

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When my kids were younger i set rewards (fines). If they caught me not doing/forgetting something

It got them to search around the boat before launch, not only were they learning preflight but they were my second set of eyes.

Drain plug $3
Throw cushion $1
Lifejackets $1
My cooler with beer $250,ooo.oo

This all started when we moved to a state with a seat belt law. If i forgot my seatbelt it was $1

Jimonthebeach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Previous boat. I bought it about 50 miles up the coast and drove up to get it with a buddy in torrential rain that we could see was clearing. Sun broke at we got to the seller's house and we put our stuff on the boat and no keys (I had borrowed money on the boat and we closed the day before at a bank halfway between us and I took the keys home then).

No looking forward to a 3 hour round trip and then a much longer (50 miles) boat ride home we spend half an hour trying to hotwire it; no dice. Trip to marine parts store, 30 minutes, cross referencing ignition switches, 15 minutes, drive back to boat 30 minutes, installation 15 minutes. Bingo! So far so good since we saved a third of the round trip time.

Fog came in about 20 minutes after we left the dock and the 50 mile trip took two days; one log, one not so long. Day one in fog so thick we couldn't see 50 feet (used my Garmin car GPS to navigate the ICW in west central Florida finding the channels from bridge to bridge) to get half way and overnighted at "The Pub". Next day in the sun home run.

I'm pretty sure if we hadn't had to screw around we would of been ahead of the sea fog that slowed us to idle speed on the very long day one since it came in from the north west.