• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Keel Guard Dilemma

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought this last year and still have it in the box unopened. I was going to put it on in the fall but got sidetracked with remodeling. I have the 11' Black. I was sitting here thinking about it and wonder if I should use the black or should I get the blue, royal blue or some other color? Do you think black would be ok on my boat? see sig pic below.

Any thoughts? I can't return it, unfortunately. Too long I believe.

Amazon.com : Gator Guards KeelShield Keel Guard - Helps Prevent Damage, Scars and Scratches - DIY Installation - Compatible with Fiberglass and Most Aluminum Boats - Made in The USA - 4’ to 12’ Lengths - Black : Dock Guards : Sports & Outdoors

Personally I don't care for the way they look so I would get whatever hides it or blends the most.

If you don't beach your boat I'd sell it. I cringe at the thought of beaching, keel guard or not. When I see a boat posted for sale with a keel guard it would be an instant no for me so take that into consider if resale is ever a factor for you.

I beach it at the dunes a lot and there are some launches that are full and the family needs to get out or go to car or restroom, etc.

Plus it gives some decent protection if I hit some wood etc while cruising around. At least that was my thought.

I beach it at the dunes a lot and there are some launches that are full and the family needs to get out or go to car or restroom, etc.

Plus it gives some decent protection if I hit some wood etc while cruising around. At least that was my thought.
Put it on, honestly your going to notice it mostly on the trailer anyways. Based on the hull design I believe you can only come up to the anchor locker drain anyways. The blue will probably not match perfect so I would just go with our original plan (the black one). After having one I don't think I would ever own a boat without one, however we mostly boat on the river and hang out on the sandbars. If I only boated on lakes I would agree haknslash however this is the primary reason I'm not buying a wakeboat with shaft drive, as we primarily live on the river in the summer. I honestly can tell you with little kids the sand bar is paradise, as the kids are never bored. When on the lake if it is not hot the bored factor sets in quick and our day can be over as listening to 3 unhappy kids is less then pleasant (and good luck reasoning with the little ones). Do I like pulling my boat up to the sandbar, no however my wife would then say well buy a boat that you will pull up to the sandbar (or we don't need a boat)! Meaning a much cheaper boat, so I got a Keelguard on my AR195 and for 3 years I felt a lot better pulling up to the sandbar. One of my first mods this spring will be a Keelguard.

Last edited:
I would NOT be without it. I don't beach my boat, but was in a shallow inlet once and struck a large rock that was sticking up less than a foot below the surface in 3 feet of water. Fortunately I was going very slow, but it did do some minor damage to the keel. I was able to repair the damage myself, and then bought the Keel Guard. Had it been on, There would have been no damage!

Maybe the black will look ok on the blue. Never put one one but it would be rough getting it off if the contrast is horrible I think.

This maybe irrelevant to your situation, but for me, I wish I went with the black. This is on a 2019 SX 195. The blue is a little different from your boat.
1608298631125.png

yeah that doesnt look bad go for it.

Go get it Line-X'd or Rhino Lined instead. They will be able to color match to your hull. Looks cleaner and you get a wider strip of protection.
Funny I inquired at my local dealer in WI and they said they wouldn’t touch it. But yours looks great!

Last edited:
Line x said same to me here locally. Wont do it

Jumping on this thread with a question related to the Keel Guard. We bought our boat a few weeks ago and made a deal with the dealer that they can keep it roped off on the showroom so they can have something on the floor. Anyways, the dealer reached out to me and asked if I was thinking about a Keel Guard. Informed him that I was and they said that if I purchase the guard through them or another retailer, they will install it for $75. Basically to get other buyers to purchase and install. I've seen some install videos, and while it doesn't look that difficult, is the $75 worth me not having to deal with installing myself?

Jumping on this thread with a question related to the Keel Guard. We bought our boat a few weeks ago and made a deal with the dealer that they can keep it roped off on the showroom so they can have something on the floor. Anyways, the dealer reached out to me and asked if I was thinking about a Keel Guard. Informed him that I was and they said that if I purchase the guard through them or another retailer, they will install it for $75. Basically to get other buyers to purchase and install. I've seen some install videos, and while it doesn't look that difficult, is the $75 worth me not having to deal with installing myself?

Absolutely worth it.

$75 to install is absolutely worth it, but doesn't seem like much of a discount considering you're letting them keep your boat on display and now also try to goad people into buying a keelguard.

It's not difficult to install at all, but an annoying job laying on your back in the driveway.

Pay the $75, your nuts to do it yourself for that price in my opinion.

What color is your hull? I have a brand new white keelguard for sale over in the classifieds section.

Back