• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keep guard self installed. Touch up needed

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep...they are worth it. Even if you don't beach your boat. Out here, the reservoirs may or may not have a dock near the ramps and if that's the case, ya may have to get up close to drop someone off when launching and retrieving...in that case it's nice to have a Keel Guard down there in case ya bump the bottom dropping them off/picking them up.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was told by the dealer that is not color gel!!! That is automotive paint.
I would not go back to that dealer.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Riva down in the FL Keys
As far as I know all Yamaha jet boats are color gel coat. I guess that could have changed but gel coat is way more durable then paint and yamaha would be doing a ton of warranty work because of painting wearing off.

I bet he was a new salesman or was misinformed.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know that you will need to wet sand that. Probably you will be good to go right to the buffer, perhaps with a little compound. Hard to tell without feeling it. Mine is white and, even though I had taped off, there were a few spots still showing that got scuffed. I just put it in the water afterward and I have never noticed or looked back... And not one friend has commented on how the bottom of my boat looks (except where I posted pictures of where I hit the stump, but that is a different topic...). So, if it bothers you, break out the buffer on it first. Otherwise, go boating... :)

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't even know that you will need to wet sand that. Probably you will be good to go right to the buffer, perhaps with a little compound. Hard to tell without feeling it. Mine is white and, even though I had taped off, there were a few spots still showing that got scuffed. I just put it in the water afterward and I have never noticed or looked back... And not one friend has commented on how the bottom of my boat looks (except where I posted pictures of where I hit the stump, but that is a different topic...). So, if it bothers you, break out the buffer on it first. Otherwise, go boating... :)
I'd agree but he did say it was someone else's boat - so I understand wanting to fix the boo-boo. :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh! I missed that. My bad. Ok, on a friend's boat I would definitely buff it out. But I don't think it is a major buff job. I bet it comes right back pretty easily.

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What brand compound do you guys use? Brand / type rotary also? Got some minor scuffs and scratches last week and I am anal. Want to get it back to normal. TIA.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What brand compound do you guys use? Brand / type rotary also? Got some minor scuffs and scratches last week and I am anal. Want to get it back to normal. TIA.
watching for this answer!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was told by the dealer that is not color gel!!! That is automotive paint.
Holy Moly, you need to smile at that dealer nicely, and step backwards all the way to your vehicle. He may also think you have a V-8 in your boat since it takes 8 plugs....ahem...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been using Griot's Garage compounds (basically because it was in the garage). Works pretty well for me. I also have a Griot's random orbital. That thing is a tank.