• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kitchen Counter Tops

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something to consider because I am trying to pick a countertop as well.
I love the look of the granite and quartz, problem is I also like lots of under cabinet lights.
The lights tend to reflect off the shiny countertops and it looks like the lights are in the countertops, you can see that in several of the pictures posted.
Now we are looking at honed and leather finishes but the color does not "pop" like it does when they have a high shine to them so that is one of the downsides.
If you do LED strip lights, they do make extrusions with defusers to help eliminate some of that. I've noticed most don't bother.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My $.02 as the owner of a custom cabinet company...We're not pro chefs here so there's little temptation to move pans from the stove to counter. You might could ask your fabricator if he'll use the cut-outs from your sink to make a couple cutting boards. It's nice because it'll blend in.
That is what I did with the Boos block cutout for the bar sink in our island. We use it daily, mainly to slice bread and baguettes. And on picture day, lemons and butter too.

20201125_071550.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol yes is a though decision my first house had Siltstone looked at it for 8 years redo the kitchen with
quartz calacatta
loved it, now the new built house has the one in the pic and all 4 bathrooms ill be looking at it for another 10 yrs at least lol
^^^this
Hard to go wrong with quartz and if you have good installers they can match the "veins" all around, it is very practical and looks great. We had corian, granite galore in prior houses, like this the most so far. Just added a "basement bar" to match the kitchen
1606308920259.png
1606308942363.png
1606308957127.png

--

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
At my last house kitchen redo, after the local countertop company I had chosen installed the granite, their was a nice finished piece left on the truck 24” by 36” beautiful. Since I paid for the whole slab and a half I asked the men to put that in the garage. They did, made a phone call to office than took a hammer and shattered it and left. 🤬🤬🤬
Every chance I get I tell people to stay clear of that company.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well getting to the finish line. Counter Tops were installed Today. Ready to get back to just a boating frame of mind. Fridge is out of stock on the one we want till February, glad I didn't toss the old one. Beverage center, with wine fridge, Cappuccino machine, kuerig coffee maker and a fast boil tea maker and cabinets should be in, in a couple of weeks and will go to the right of the pantry. Just finish trim, stair rebuild and paint and my long dark night is over..... no more remodeling.

1607135847910.jpeg
1607135868835.jpeg 1607135893168.jpeg 1607135902975.jpeg 1607135910922.jpeg

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking nice! Yeah, I heard there was a bit of a wait on choice appliances. Have a coworker who just moved and was trying to get ahold of specific fridge/freezer and washer/dryer combos running into a similar wait time. Good call hanging on to the ones you have in the meantime.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last night after I finished installing the sink plumbing and there was water, the Admiral approved me for a boat garage in the backyard this spring. Will be building it to hold a 25', in case that day comes. :) Inspired by those whom have posted pictures of theirs. Starting to run some numbers on Materials and design. THEY need to chill out on the lumber prices, they are ridiculous. $657 for a 2x4x8 is absurd they where $2.00 not long ago. If it wasn't winter here, I would be out driving stakes.

We bought the house 2 years ago as a fixer upper, here are pictures before the kitchen was demoed and the wall was removed where the island/peninsula is now in above pictures. Refrigerator lives on for now.

1607262688846.png1607262769312.png

Last edited:

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i like your “Admiral”. Very rational and with a heart.
Lumber 😬 I found out about it back in May the mills worldwide were hit heavy with the Wuhan flu and shut down. Had already paid for all the fencing I needed. Only got the stell poles, brackets, and bolts. The ole’ they’ll be here next week got old and worn out. Luckily i hadn’t knocked down the fence. I finally came in October. 🙄. Last week I bought a 2X6 4 feet long $6.48
Back to your project. You have done one heck of a job putting together this piece you both started and done SUPER assembling and laying out all the “Admiral” brings out. Both of you get the Wonder Woman/Superman award.

Looking to the future, think about it very well in height, width, and length to type of boat that you might get. I had a hard time finding storage that door opening was higher than 12 feet.
Continue using your talents, it a beautiful masterpiece you finishing up.
Thanks for sharing.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just curious.... what did you do with the old upper cabinets? I kept mine and installed them in the garage. Worked out great!

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to do that, but had the girls and their high school friends help with demo. Girls were wanting to smash things before i caught them. The crew for everything when i needed help, was me, the admiral, kids and their friends, upto 6+ 13 -16 year old girls. Would give em each some moeney at the end of the day when they helped, and drop em at the mall worked out great.

One neighbor was kind laughing at me at first... now ask the girl crew to do leaves and stuff at their house.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:thumbsup:Nice job looks great.
If you do a back splash, keep it simple....in my opinion simple backsplash with busy countertop or vice versa....gets to be alot going on when they both have alot of pattern.
Maybe use a light grey to pull out some color in from the floor and or countertop...but looking good so far.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Going with a solid light clear glass tile for backsplash Have everything, have no energy to do it, maybe in a week or so.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors New kitchen looks great. Really interesting choice with the blue cabinets. That's one of the "vision" choices. If you say "blue cabinets" up front I would think you're nuts, but it looks really good with the white counters. Nice contrast there.

That angled cabinet is a neat choice as well. What's in there? Pull out trash can?

Final comment.......Is that carpet in the kitchen in the "before" pics? Who would ever think that's a good idea? Almost as bad as carpet in the bathroom. blech.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Thanks. I have been told that It was not my vision, but hers...... and all her choices.... Guess if it didn't work out than they would have been mine :rolleyes:

Just shelves in the angled cabinets on the end. Didn't want the walkway to feel constrained. Keeping it open an breezy. Took the cabinets to the ceiling so it worked out there is too much cabinets, at least so I have been told.

Yes that was carpet glued down over two different layers of linoleum glued down on top of hardwoods which were badly damaged. Had to take the circular saw and cut out the subfloor. I replaced the subfloor on the entire first floor with Trufloor and Advantech. Carpet was stained and smelled of dog urine, throughout. It was rough at the beginning. They had the home up for sale and reduced it over 1.5 years 150k in price. Once I saw it at that price I new I could make something out of the whole house, many many years ago I was in the trades and was a finish carpenter for a spell, so I think I am pretty handy at most things. We got it 2 years ago this month. There was carpet everywhere including the bathroom. They were moving to florida and in poor health and needed to get out from it. Guy never used caulk for anything.

Also gutted the entire first floor. Put in Rockwool Insulation and 5/8" type X drywall through out. Also Rockwool Comfort sound in the ceiling. All new plumbing in first floor as well as electrical, all inspections passed all permits pulled.

The nice part is there has never been any remodeling done on it so I didn't encounter any one else's hacks. Just good people who raised their family 4 kids, but really didn't maintain the house, for 35 years. Still have some additional things to do... The double lot in the area where I live is a rarity and worked out perfect for the boat, we didn't know we were going to buy last spring. Most houses here can't get a boat in the back yard. I live in an area were homes go for $250+ per sq. ft, so renovating is working out, although the pandemic price increases on materials and availability on things stinks.