• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lack of quality interior materials

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat is only a year younger than yours and the seat material is still like new. The boat is stored inside and gets regular cleaning and protective care from 303 products. Have heard no similar complaints from any other Yammy owners I know.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Lets keep the fan boy responses to a minimum. My boat is factory covered and is shaded from direct sun with tree cover on the south and west sides. Its backed in and the back of the boat where the failure is occurring is in the shade all the time. Quite frankly this is a material quality issue not a misuse issue. I knew I was not going to get Cobalt level appointments in a boat thats $50k less $$ but Im still disappointed with the quality. I see much older boats with zero interior failures. My friends 07 230 is always in the sun and the interior looks great.
So far we don't see a trend which means there could be an issue with your specific circumstances.
What products do you use to care for it? Do you keep it outside year-round? Given your location is it possible they could be damp when below-freezing temperatures occur? I imagine expanding ice could cause issues. Also what does "factory cover" mean? You mean the shipping cover? Or an authorized Yamaha cover? Is it waterproof?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2016 AR240 is pretty bad. The "textured" parts are impossible to maintain "looking like new" - simply because they never had! lol Seriously. We have had two large rear cushions replaced under warranty before we accepted the delivery. Still, the corrugated areas tend to darken a bit and can not be revitalized using "normal" cleaning schedules (no bleach on my boat). I understand Yamaha has discontinued that line of vinyl in the 2017+, which is good.

No stitching issues, yet. Fingers crossed. No bleach in my boat. Tons of 303AP.

I am diligent about cleaning and maintenance and storage. I buy and use 303 AP by a gallon a couple of times a year. The quality of vinyl AND cushion foam has undoubtedly gone down hill comparing a 2009 and a 2016 boat. I considered a 2009 242LS over 2016 AR240 in part due to vastly better seat/cushion quality and design. I think my 2012 SX190 was okay, better than the current 2016 AR240. The 2009 looks and feels luxurious and plush as compared to a new 2016 AR!

I noticed that the higher trim 2015+ boats vinyl is better quality, 242 LS, E, X. We chose AR trim consciously, aware of likely needing to replace the upholstery down the road in case we keep the boat long enough (~5 years).

Would I do it again? The E, X trim vinyl is really nice, is it $20k nice? No. But... with that big tower and bimini? - yes!!!
But that is a different conversation, lol.

--

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently re-did all my bottom cushions in my 2005. The vinyl was still in very good condition but many seams were coming apart. In my case it had everything to do.with people standing on cushions which places a lot of stress on the stitching. Not sure if that is a issue for you or not.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
In my case I use the fitted mooring cover from Yamaha. The boat is shrink wrapped tight by the time temps reach the 30s around here.
Scuba, we are talking about the piping in the back seats, the 2 between the walk through on the engine hatch. No reason for those to get much foot traffic.
@swatski thanks for confirming what I felt to be true.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My 19 year old LS has no tears, rips or rotted thread/seams. I’d consider it in very good condition unlike most sea doo boats of that era. Sound like material quality is not what it once was with Yamaha.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lets keep the fan boy...Im still disappointed with the quality. I see much older boats with zero interior failures. My friends 07 230 is always in the sun and the interior looks great.
I don't know if the quality has improved since 2013 but 2007-2009 it definitely took a nose dive with the grey diamond trim that disintegrates into a brown mess that falls apart,
My 07 piping stitching is intact with no tears or deteriorating seams. Upholstery in good condition with a little "sunburn" on the grey "fishscale" material on top of the seat backs on swim platform and bow, but nothing cracked.
20180726_091411.jpg