• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Cumberland, KY

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The "duskytail darter" was found several miles upriver from the lake. Now a "study" is being completed by US Fish and Wildlife to see if raising the water level would "endanger" them. Last I read in the local paper was that the Corp of Engineers and the US F&W assured the senators/congressmen/state law-makers that the study would be fast tracked and that the lake would be allowed to rise to normal pool. The question is if there will be enough precipitation to raise it back to normal after the study is completed. The sad thing is that where the minnows were found is so far up-river that even at full pool, it won't effect water levels in the minnow's habitat....

Either way, I promise you that this lake is huge and not the dry river bed image that the media is portraying. I live less than 1/8th of a mile from the lake, and drive by it multiple times a day at work...LOTS of water.

Some of the ramps at the county parks aren't long enough to launch a boat at the lower levels. I will tell you that the larger marinas on the lower end of the lake have accessible ramps, and on the upper end Burnside Island's ramp is 4 lanes wide and they are still launching houseboats at their ramp.

I'll get photos while at work tomorrow and post up, the media has blown this way out of proportion....doom and gloom sales, the truth doesn't.
We loved it last year and it was nearly full last year, I think only down 10ft. Hell we loved it down 40ft! I'll never forget the first time we showed up at a primitive campsite (by boat) and we were trying to figure out how we were going to scale a 40ft cliff to get up there! We ended up finding a shore/sand bar type area and camped on an isolated shore. It was awesome! One of my first and most fond memories of boating with my wife.

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake Cumberland holds a special place in my heart, I mean that sincerely. I was fortunate to be asked to a houseboat trip there in Aug of 1989, out of State Dock. All we did was go out the marina main entrance, thru the No Wake Zone (closed for 7-8 yrs), made a right and hit one of those coves. The Lake made such an impression on me, that the following month I bought my 1st boat. Been back to Cumberland at least once every year since. Sometimes several times. Our friends all born in and around Columbus, but they were raised at Cumberland Ky :)

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Lake made such an impression on me, that the following month I bought my 1st boat. Been back to Cumberland at least once every year since. Sometimes several times. Our friends all born in and around Columbus, but they were raised at Cumberland Ky :)
I was speaking to a guy at one of the local boat dealers one time, and he said Lake Cumberland has been a big contributor to their boat sales over the years.

I've a few friends that finally sold their campers down there and purchased homes that overlook the lake.

ArtinKY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looking forward to getting down there this year for the first time in a VERY long time (late 1970's). Any recommendations on best launching ramp coming from Northern KY? Also, how does the primitive camping work there? I know the Corp owns almost the entire shoreline. Are there only certain areas where primitive boat-in camping are allowed? Thanks!

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Never done the camp site thing, always a room, house or houseboat. You can rent a slip anywhere and stay on the boat (I assume), use the marina facilities. Camp Earl Ray is on the map...don't think that's what your looking for, but maybe?

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking forward to getting down there this year for the first time in a VERY long time (late 1970's). Any recommendations on best launching ramp coming from Northern KY? Also, how does the primitive camping work there? I know the Corp owns almost the entire shoreline. Are there only certain areas where primitive boat-in camping are allowed? Thanks!
Which end of the lake do you want to stay at? General Burnside Island state park has the largest ramp on the north end of the lake. The Corp only allows camping at a designated site, but many times when younger we camped along Fishing Creek and no one ever said anything to us. Word of advice, do not stay at Pulaski county park. They have a nice site but it has become the hangout for the local dopers and rednecks and isn't patrolled very much. Waitsboro Recreation has awesome campsites right on the water, but be aware the ramp is on the smaller side and fairly steep. These are photos from last year when we camped at Waitsboro Recreation.
image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the Ohio Navy has a large presence there :)

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice. I love the look of those islands.

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just stumbled a cross this a minute ago. Its a morning photo from the lodge at Jamestown overlooking Jamestown Marina and then State Dock Marina on the opposing shore. That was from Sept '13.

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I liked Jamestown....don't get me wrong....but I'm in my 50's now and see that walk down to the marina?....That's about halfway to your boat slip...just sayin' :) And you're walking around from behind where this photo was taken, down the gang plank and then down around to your boat.

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its a little bit of a walk... I'll give you that. Of course the other place we usually stay at we drive to the ramp and catch a water taxi over to our slip. This trip made for a nice change of pace.

ArtinKY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank's for the replies. Looking forward to enjoying the lake this summer. Probably going to give Burnside a try for launching.

xoverdose

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I slip at Conley Bottom Resort and love it! Its big enough that you can always have room to raft up or find a private cove and chill or even bust out the tubes and not worry so much about other boaters. Even with the water level "low" there is a ton of room. If anyone plans on coming down it would be awesome to have a Jetboaters raft up!

wakeformer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love Cumberland so much I helped my best friend build a house down there. We are by falbush in a subdivision called Clearwater.
Lots of quite coves and only a 2 min ride to Connelly bottoms from our dock. If you want a fun lake I recommend Cumberland

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What about house/condo rentals with boat storage/parking? Do you have to book far in advance to obtain decent accommodations?

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It depends on what you want and how close to the water you want to be. The Somernite Cruise weekends would probably be the only times that you would have a hard time finding lodging and thats on the north end. Check out Villager Resort, they have cottages close to the water and their own dock. State park very close by as well as two ramps.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good news today! From WKYT website;

JAMESTOWN, Ky. (AP) - Lake Cumberland will be allowed to rise to its normal elevation this summer.

Dam repairs have kept the water lowered the last few years, and it was due to rise to normal levels this year, but the discovery of an endangered fish in Lake Cumberland headwaters prompted a delay.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Tuesday that it has finalized its review and expects conservation measures to protect the duskytail darter's survival in the Big South Fork.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers decided to allow the lake to rise to a target elevation of 723 feet this summer, the normal elevation at the beginning of the recreation season.

Lower water levels beginning in early 2007 affected tourism and the economy at the recreational lake in southern Kentucky.