• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Landing strip LED lights on the trailer

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We often boat until after dark and recover the boat at dark ramps.

We added waterproof LED strip lighting to the frame rails of the trailer so that alignment of the trailer would be visible through the water. They work great and improve visibility on the highway as well.

Although I am curious how our LE members feel about the extra lights on the trailer. I believe this is legal. If not I will add switches to turn them on at the ramp.

Total cost was $27 and about 30 minutes. The supplies consisted of two of these LED Strips, 12 x 18" outdoor wire ties, less than 10' of 16 gauge dual conductor wire and solder and shrink tube that I already had on hand.

@Rana applied the light strips to frame rails starting at the back. I pulled out the front running lights and soldered and shrink tubed 16 gauge wire to the factory wiring. Then I soldered and shrink tubed my 16 gauge wires to the LED strips. And finally we put 6 wire ties around each LED strip and wire. We did the same on both sides.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ha! Looks cool!
I would think they would be considered running lights. I don't know the laws as well as some though

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great!

I'm not a LEO but I think the color of light is key. You are allowed red and amber lights but not white. White is designated to tags, reverse and headlights.

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. It looks great and it's going to be well served. Nice job @Bruce!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
White and Amber only, visible from the front. Only red visible to the rear. Clearance lamps are allowed to be Amber, visible to the side.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
White and Amber only, visible from the front. Only red visible to the rear. Clearance lamps are allowed to be Amber, visible to the side.
So would you pull me over for having Amber clearance lights running 15' of the length of the trailer?

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Amber would be legal. And no I wouldn't pull you over, but some uptight state trooper sure would.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Would these lights in red be legal?
We often boat until after dark and recover the boat at dark ramps.

We added waterproof LED strip lighting to the frame rails of the trailer so that alignment of the trailer would be visible through the water. They work great and improve visibility on the highway as well.

Although I am curious how our LE members feel about the extra lights on the trailer. I believe this is legal. If not I will add switches to turn them on at the ramp.

Total cost was $27 and about 30 minutes. The supplies consisted of two of these LED Strips, 12 x 18" outdoor wire ties, less than 10' of 16 gauge dual conductor wire and solder and shrink tube that I already had on hand.

@Rana applied the light strips to frame rails starting at the back. I pulled out the front running lights and soldered and shrink tubed 16 gauge wire to the factory wiring. Then I soldered and shrink tubed my 16 gauge wires to the LED strips. And finally we put 6 wire ties around each LED strip and wire. We did the same on both sides.

View attachment 23951 View attachment 23952 View attachment 23953
Zip ties? These are not adhesive backed ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Zip ties? These are not adhesive backed ?
They are adhesive backed but my experience is that most things stick poorly to galvanization. My hope is that the zip ties will help keep them in place. If I loose them they are cheap to replace.

As for color, I believe that Amber is the color that is least likely to attract LE attention. Red needs to be on the back. I am not trying to hide anything so if I do get pulled over I will cut the ground wire to satisfy the officer then add a switch.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Red would be illegal since they would be visible from the front and sides. The question is would it be enforced.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do think they look awesome!
I appreciate your opinion on the legality and wanted an honest answer.

I believe that they add safety (visibility) on the road similar to reflective strips. And they are the same Amber color as the factory lights so I hope I will be ok.

David Hoff

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Brilliant idea! Perhaps, you could just wire it into the reverse light power (ie on my trailer, it's the blue pigtail that disengages the brake solenoid) ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Certainly could wire it into the reverse lights but then it would only be on when in reverse. I want them on when sitting still on the ramp and I believe they add to safety on the highway.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats great. I have been planning to do a red strip down the middle connected to my backup flood lite switch. Right now I put on my flood lights under water for dark water loading. The LED are much nicer. Cam.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks way cool..yet another upgrade...

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be interested to see a picture from the side, in the dark, with boat on trailer if you have one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be interested to see a picture from the side, in the dark, with boat on trailer if you have one.
Unfortunately I did not get one. Hopefully next weekend.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the LED lights white or Amber? Hard to tell from what I see.