• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Landing strip LED lights on the trailer

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I considered tline but was concerned that the LEDs would not stick to the carpet well.
I am thinking more in the line of tacking a strip of PVC or other water proof material like marine grade plywood to the bottom outside edge of the bunk and apply the LEDs to that..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aluminum angle screwed to the bunks. Glue led strips to the angle.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@Bruce , that's sweet. I hadn't thought about the glow effect off the boat. I can't wait to do this when I get back from vacation.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That looks awesome...I'd definitely leave those on all the time.

And kudos to anyone who regularly launches and recovers without Guide-ons. Any side wind would totally screw me without them.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And kudos to anyone who regularly launches and recovers without Guide-ons. Any side wind would totally screw me without them.
When I had my old stern drive, one of the first things I did as a newbie was to add on some guide posts. When I bought the Yamaha, I wanted to get on the water so I went without. It wasn't a bad experience, and I never added them on. I boat in a river so I'm ALWAYS fighting a current, wind or not. The trick is, when there's wind or a current, to approach from the downstream/downwind side (I'm guessing at a 30° angle) and curve into the trailer bunks. And don't be afraid to use the throttle... the bunks and the bow stop will catch the boat unless you're coming in REALLY hot. If you try to just putt your way in, the current will screw you all up. I've had some approaches that I thought were questionable, but the throttle straightened things right out.

I have it down now so that I pull away from the dock (which is parallel to the river flow just downstream of the launch) about 50 feet, pivot in place using the superior jet handling our boats have, and pull directly onto the trailer on the first time about 90% of the time. Stern drives are jealous. :p

I couldn't even imagine how easy it would be to trailer the boat on a lake!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never boated in a river, so I have never loaded in a current like that. Would love to test my skills at that someday!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It can definitely get interesting. We have the Kinzua reservoir upstream from us so we get high water conditions at random even when we've not had rain for a while. Very limited boating season here lately, so we go out whenever we possibly can... even if it's high and swift. If we waited for good conditions we'd only get out a few times a year.

My < 10 year plan is to end up on the Gulf coast. It will be nice having the boat on a lift in the backyard, but I don't want to lose the skills of trailering in swift water!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool deal. A lift in the backyard is every boaters' dream I believe. I know it is mine!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok.. I need help finding a switch from some Internet tech say jetboaters... I am going to do the led lights down the trailer like Bruce showed in this thread.. but I want to place a weather proof dimmer switch some where between the power source and the leds lights that will line the trailer... so I can dim them on the road or even turn them off but have them bright while under water... I am having trouble finding the switch that I want.. can anyone help with the search.....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok.. I need help finding a switch from some Internet tech say jetboaters... I am going to do the led lights down the trailer like Bruce showed in this thread.. but I want to place a weather proof dimmer switch some where between the power source and the leds lights that will line the trailer... so I can dim them on the road or even turn them off but have them bright while under water... I am having trouble finding the switch that I want.. can anyone help with the search.....
You may need dimmable LEDs as well. The switch would simply be a variable resistor but you probably want a waterproof one.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any thoughts, @KXCam22 ?

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why has everyone suggested that I unplug my trailer lights before launching or retrieving? Am I missing how these lights get powered? Is this a dumb question?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If water gets into the taillight, if they are cracked or whatever, you could blow a fuse.

I never do, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With older trailers that do not have LEDs, you needed to unplug the lights before dunking them. Often the 'waterproof' fixtures would get some crack or leak and the water contacting the hot bulb would crack the bulb. LEDs don't get hot that way and are less likely to short because of how they are wired.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks. My 2014 trailer lights are bulbs not leds. Makes sense. Thanks.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@njmr2fan, my 2015 trailer doesn't have LEDs either and I leave the lights connected with no issues so far. I guess when I crack the lens, I'll revisit that. My plan is to install the landing lights tapping into the power of the trailer side marker lamps.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never disconnect the lights before backing down the ramp. The brake will not disengage if you do so you have to use the lockout key.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All of the LED light controllers that I have seen come with a dimmer on the remote. The two buttons on the top left are the buttons I am talking about.24 key RGB controller.jpg