• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Landing strip LED lights on the trailer

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it. I'm doing the amber over the winter slow down in GA boating. Did you use the same LEDs as mentioned above in the thread?

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I like that you put the lights on the inside of the trailer rails to give an indirect lighting look. I put mine on thre top which give an entirely different look.

This is a fun project and gets a little attention at the launch ramp - so if you don't like talking to people, this may not be the project for you - lol!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love it. I'm doing the amber over the winter slow down in GA boating. Did you use the same LEDs as mentioned above in the thread?
Yes I used the lights from the forum and the led controler mentioned as well... I can dim them or make the brighter..
I like that you put the lights on the inside of the trailer rails to give an indirect lighting look. I put mine on thre top which give an entirely different look.

This is a fun project and gets a little attention at the launch ramp - so if you don't like talking to people, this may not be the project for you - lol!
I had been looking for a place to out the lights. I was going to put them on the top of the rail but my aluminum I beam trailer has u shackles that go around the beams.. I would have to cut the strip and us some kind of jumper to cross them... then I though about putting them in the inside and lower lip of the ibeams.. nothing is in the way and it will be perfect to view whike loading the boat at night.. and the white hull make it glow in the trailer. We are happy with it...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rana is lined up for a perfect landing in a tight cove.

View attachment 45523
Very cool @Bruce !

Funny I was just talking to Kate about how we could have used those lights of yours earlier tonight...
I need to send you a pic of my ramp, you will see what a tight cove real means, hehe. You guys have it too good down there!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce - reigniting an old thread here asking for an update. After quite a few uses how to do you like your landing strip?

I have the parts purchased but have not performed the mod yet. Instead of placing the white strip on the top of the trailer (where it is quite unsightly during day light, imho) I have been debating on placing it just on the inside of the trailer, at the top of the inside rail. My question is do you think I would still achieve the same "landing strip" look?

Thank you in advance for your input and valued opinion.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce - reigniting an old thread here asking for an update. After quite a few uses how to do you like your landing strip?

I have the parts purchased but have not performed the mod yet. Instead of placing the white strip on the top of the trailer (where it is quite unsightly during day light, imho) I have been debating on placing it just on the inside of the trailer, at the top of the inside rail. My question is do you think I would still achieve the same "landing strip" look?

Thank you in advance for your input and valued opinion.
You will have much better light distribution if you install the strip on top of the rail. It will interesting to see how an install on the side of the rail works.

Mine are holding up great after two summers of usage.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To geek this up...i'm adding a connector so when i garage the boat i can plug in the lights and have an awesome nightlight in the boat bay!! Which is about 15ft from my wet bar!!!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did this mod on an aluminum I beam trailer we bought last year. I put the lights on the inside of the I-beam on the bottom lip facing up.. u can't see the lights from the side but the light up the whole hull of my boat.. it's a white hull. And I have a remote that I can use going down the road to cut them on and off.. also dim them... it looks real cool and I can see the trailer at night loading the boat!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did this mod on an aluminum I beam trailer we bought last year. I put the lights on the inside of the I-beam on the bottom lip facing up.. u can't see the lights from the side but the light up the whole hull of my boat.. it's a white hull. And I have a remote that I can use going down the road to cut them on and off.. also dim them... it looks real cool and I can see the trailer at night loading the boat!
Would you happen to still have the link to that switch/remote? - thanks

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I did my mod last Spring. Love it. Mine are on the top of the rails. I kinda like it, but I think if you did it on the side it may be ok. I put them on to "square up" when loading the boat onto the trailer so that's why they're on top.

I put a switch on mine so that you can turn them on and leave them on - leave them off - or have them come on when the trailer enters the water (Atwood bilge switch).

I also used white lights - Amber would allow you trailer with them on. I would suggest dimming them if you do that, but @Bruce would have a first-hand opinion there.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We did our trailer last uear and we love it.. we put the lights on the insode of the bottom rail t
So the light illuminates the hull but u cant see them directly.. the remlte makes it nice amd easy to adjust or just turn off.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
we put the lights on the insode of the bottom rail t
So the light illuminates the hull but u cant see them directly
That sounds like how I would like to do this mod. I laid out the light but did not care for the visibility of the strip on the galvanize during the day.
Would you please provide some more detail and/or pics? I would greatly appreciate it. I have all the parts and like the idea but like you did not want to be able to see them directly. - thanks!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ill see if i can find them.. if not I am going to pick up the boat on Saturday so i can get you more updated pic then.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We often boat until after dark and recover the boat at dark ramps.

We added waterproof LED strip lighting to the frame rails of the trailer so that alignment of the trailer would be visible through the water. They work great and improve visibility on the highway as well.

Although I am curious how our LE members feel about the extra lights on the trailer. I believe this is legal. If not I will add switches to turn them on at the ramp.

Total cost was $27 and about 30 minutes. The supplies consisted of two of these LED Strips, 12 x 18" outdoor wire ties, less than 10' of 16 gauge dual conductor wire and solder and shrink tube that I already had on hand.

@Rana applied the light strips to frame rails starting at the back. I pulled out the front running lights and soldered and shrink tubed 16 gauge wire to the factory wiring. Then I soldered and shrink tubed my 16 gauge wires to the LED strips. And finally we put 6 wire ties around each LED strip and wire. We did the same on both sides.

View attachment 23951 View attachment 23952 View attachment 23953
I followed your lead and installed lights.
Thanks for the sharing...appreciate it.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice. I will def be doing this mod this summer. Thanks for the great photos