• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lateral Thruster Videos Which Address Concerns About Reverse Thrust

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

I did not have a bunch of time to sit and edit these videos but I wanted to give you a short demonstration of what you could expect in regards to the amount of reverse thrust that is impacted by the addition of Lateral Thrusters to your Yamaha jet boat.

Twin Engine Video

Single Engine Video

If you have further questions feel free to reach out anytime!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So for a twin engine only 1/6 of the reverse thrust is being impacted at any one time. These are on my wish list for next year since I have already spent too much on mods for the boat this year.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes that is correct. Tons more control laterally and really negligible losses to reverse thrust.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great videos Will :winkingthumbsup"

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry for their unpolished appearance but these days even getting a video shot is an accomplishment! lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Videos were fine and really help show there is negligible impact for straight reverse thrust. The reverse thrust has never been lacking for me. The lateral movement other hand has always been very vague and slow to respond. I've learned to work around that by using NWM while switching forward to reverse in the first detent but it would be nice to have your lateral thrusters especially on windy or strong current days around the docks.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool, they will be here in late April. Thanks!

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice video. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to getting mine installed. Hopefully they ship soon

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes we hope to ship single engine models late April. Sorry for the delays. The wait is going to be worth it!!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to do anyone's bidding, but to keep things in perspective.
(Since you know... this is an open discussion forum)

Here is my 0.02 on the title subject.

Potential losses of reverse thrust due to LTEs may indeed be negligible - when compared against the stock reverse, which is almost non-existent. That would be different if measured against the enhanced reverse - which can be afforded by a different system.

(EDIT - why, why am I wading into this, again...)

Just to keep it in perspective, these boats can turn on a dime from factory, still - gain of lateral thrust and - more control laterally is desirable. The LTEs appear to accomplish that well!
But, for some of us thrust in strait reverse is more critical and boosting that is more desirable as that stock reverse (such as in my new 240 twin) is very miserably weak.

At the end, it may boil down to a simple choice (too bad one can not have it all!):
For boosting lateral thrust - there's LTEs. For everything else - there's...
Uh, whatever.
:D

--

Last edited:

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not to do anyone's bidding, but to keep things in perspective.
(Since you know... this is an open discussion forum)

Here is my 0.02 on the title subject.

Potential losses of reverse thrust due to LTEs may indeed be negligible - when compared against the stock reverse. That, however, would be quite different if measured against the enhanced reverse - which can be afforded by a different system.

Again, to keep it in perspective, these boats can turn on a dime from factory, still - gain of lateral thrust and - more control laterally is desirable. The LTEs appear to accomplish that well! But, for some of us thrust in strait reverse is more critical and boosting that is more desirable - stock reverse (such as in my new 240 twin) is very weak.

At the end, it may boil down to a simple choice (too bad one can not have it all!):
For boosting lateral thrust - there's LTEs. For everything else - there's...
Uh, whatever.
:D

--
I found no discernible difference using straight reverse between stock, cobras, and LTEs. I did see an improvement with the JBP thrust vectors in terms of thrust.

Here we go again .. .

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found no discernible difference using straight reverse between stock, cobras, and LTEs. I did see an improvement with the JBP thrust vectors in terms of thrust.

Here we go again .. .
Oh, no, there is a big difference between stock vs MEGAs - in strait reverse, it is quite tangible I would say.

Okay - I'm done now, lol.

--

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Are you just using the Megas on your 24’ or additional steering/thrust aids? I would like additional help in reverse on my SX240, but so far don’t feel I need forward assistance. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have the forward help as well if it was a by product of the additional rear thrust. ;)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Are you just using the Megas on your 24’ or additional steering/thrust aids? I would like additional help in reverse on my SX240, but so far don’t feel I need forward assistance. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have the forward help as well if it was a by product of the additional rear thrust. ;)
You have several choices. I'm limited by Articulating Keel and steering rods. My opinion on MEGAs is in Post #20 https://jetboaters.net/threads/mega-fangs-cobra-ak-power-steering-doughnuts-in-reverse.15877/#post-273191

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I love these kinds of threads and I very rarely chime in on them for many reasons but this one I just can't resist. I guess I just don't understand the newer boats have a keel that extends below the running surface honestly just don't see how adding a pair of garden snake wisdom teeth or push vectors is really going to improve my turning as neither of these remove the darn keel and honestly even with those added power from the pumps is still your best friend at idle speed yeah maybe I could see them making a small difference but I love the way my boat handles at slow speeds stock. As for reverse well it is what it is unless you would like to change the stop block on the throttles. I have rarely maybe once or twice since I have had the 2017 AR240 have been in a situation where I though man I wish I had more reverse power but I have been in many situations where I wish I had the BRP reverse gates so i think the LTE could answer that problem though I still think the BRP gates would give me more of the control I'm looking for than the LTE but no one has made one of those yet for our boats. I have not tried or tested any of the mentioned products as of I have not seen the need yet but the LTE's have at least had me intrigued as they offer a solution to a problem I have had more then once or twice.

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It’s hard to tell from the video and pictures but is there any interaction with the reverse stream and the outside edge of the thruster due to how much the thruster hangs offf the bottom? It looks like there may be but it’s really hard to tell. Take a look at the areas circled in these pictures. Thoughts?
C3E66819-8BFD-47F2-ABA5-91E5D96CDB16.jpeg 245BDAF4-1E94-4175-A637-015BDBD9A2DF.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh I love these kinds of threads and I very rarely chime in on them for many reasons but this one I just can't resist. I guess I just don't understand the newer boats have a keel that extends below the running surface honestly just don't see how adding a pair of garden snake wisdom teeth or push vectors is really going to improve my turning as neither of these remove the darn keel and honestly even with those added power from the pumps is still your best friend at idle speed yeah maybe I could see them making a small difference but I love the way my boat handles at slow speeds stock. As for reverse well it is what it is unless you would like to change the stop block on the throttles. I have rarely maybe once or twice since I have had the 2017 AR240 have been in a situation where I though man I wish I had more reverse power but I have been in many situations where I wish I had the BRP reverse gates so i think the LTE could answer that problem though I still think the BRP gates would give me more of the control I'm looking for than the LTE but no one has made one of those yet for our boats. I have not tried or tested any of the mentioned products as of I have not seen the need yet but the LTE's have at least had me intrigued as they offer a solution to a problem I have had more then once or twice.
Agree. By some you'd swear they are trying to drag race bass boats in reverse at a fishing tournament :D. Nobody drives around in reverse all day. It's simply used a few mins each trip for me.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I power my boat off the trailer and can say with absolute certainty that their is no loss of reverse thrust with LTEs.
Its as before no less!
You can show all the diagrams and pictures but till you have tried it you have no idea.
It works. Simple

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Neutron I totally agree
I installed and I feel no loss in power
I never had to put the boat in full reverse either

I find it so easy now to back into slip or pull to the dock

Has anyone tried LTE that don't like them?
I think that would be more helpful

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My post above is really just to illustrate where there may be some interference. I doubt it makes a noticeable difference even if it does partially block the reverse jet. Only way to really test this would be to throw it in reverse and check top reverse speed probably, but that’s not a real world situation.