• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lateral Thruster Videos Which Address Concerns About Reverse Thrust

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reverse drag racing. I think y'all should do this for Shelbyville :D

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The next time I’m out on the boat I’m going to stick my GoPro type camera under my boat and see if you can watch the water flow.
I can feel no difference in reverse thrust power, these LTE’s work great, people need to get over it and stop trying to criticize every thing.
They work. Don’t think they work or don’t think they are needed? Cool, don’t buy them. Pretty dang simple.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Wayloncle that would be a pretty sweet looking video IMO

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The next time I’m out on the boat I’m going to stick my GoPro type camera under my boat and see if you can watch the water flow.
I can feel no difference in reverse thrust power, these LTE’s work great, people need to get over it and stop trying to criticize every thing.
They work. Don’t think they work or don’t think they are needed? Cool, don’t buy them. Pretty dang simple.
For me, the most useful comparison would be between 1. stock vs 2. LTEs vs 3. MEGAs. So far I know of only @Foobar having done any direct comparison and that was pretty dang informative.

The reverse "speed" comparison between stock vs LTEs can not possibly show major differences because it's still going to be close to zero.

On the other hand, with MEGAs the reverse speed picks up dramatically - probably by a factor of two, maybe three (vs stock). Of course no one is going to race in reverse but the amount of reverse thrust can make a difference when for example pulling off a trailer in tricky current etc. - things of that nature.

--

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are not reverse thrusters, they are lateral thrusters.
They push the stern sideways when you are turned hard over.
What is being said is there is no reverse thrust loss.
No need to compare LTEs to Megas
They move the boat in different dirrections.
Megas wont push the stern laterally

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are not reverse thrusters, they are lateral thrusters.
They push the stern sideways when you are turned hard over.
No need to compare LTEs to Megas
They move the boat in different dirrections.
Megas wont push the stern laterally
Thank you for clarifying this! :rolleyes:
Hmm.. that must be why "LT" in LTEs is for lateral thrust! :)
Okay, I get it! lol.

But on a more serious note:
Yes - those are indeed two different challenges: 1. reverse thrust vs 2. lateral control.

(And BTW - those challenges only exist because for some reason Yamaha decided not to adapt their own, and brilliant, RiDE technology in their jet boats... - but that is a different story, as discussed elsewhere)

But back on topic:
As far as the aftermarket support to abet those two challenges in existence, currently one has to make a choice:
One can have LTEs (lateral thrusters - for boosting lateral control), or one can have MEGAs - for boosting (channeling) reverse thrust.
But not both.

It's all good:
One person can choose - reverse, another person - lateral boost.

As long as we can all exchange notes.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What comes to mind is "Can't lose what you never had". Which is not entirely true here, but pretty dang close.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
But back on topic
:D Come on man, you can't be serious. The thread is about LTE and concerns of it causing a loss in reverse thrust is it not?....not what other competitors offer on the market that has nothing to do with LTE. Will created the thread to put to rest some of the murmuring from the peanut gallery about his new product. I don't think he appreciates many of his threads devolving into other competitors products that have nothing to do with the topic he created. Just my .o2

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
:D Come on man, you can't be serious. The thread is about LTE and concerns of it causing a loss in reverse thrust is it not?....not what other competitors offer on the market that has nothing to do with LTE. Will created the thread to put to rest some of the murmuring from the peanut gallery about his new product. I don't think he appreciates many of his threads devolving into other competitors products that have nothing to do with the topic he created. Just my .o2
I completely agree with what @haknslash is saying here.
Every time Will posts something - someone else jumps on board to mention the other steering system. Not cool.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski I swear you must have some stock or ownership in the MEGAs or have some hate for bigbox businesses :winkingthumbsup"

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not had any complaints about the amount of reverse power that my boat has, stock. I really don't understand why other people are having trouble in reverse. I could see someone having a need for additional lateral movement capability. I've been at busy fuel docks with boats a couple of feet in front and a couple of feet behind me where a little lateral thrust would have been nice. Fortunately, I know how to use dock lines and engine thrust to parallel park, so the need wasn't urgent, but I could see how LTE's would have been handy for a situation like that.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have not had any complaints about the amount of reverse power that my boat has, stock. I really don't understand why other people are having trouble in reverse. I could see someone having a need for additional lateral movement capability. I've been at busy fuel docks with boats a couple of feet in front and a couple of feet behind me where a little lateral thrust would have been nice. Fortunately, I know how to use dock lines and engine thrust to parallel park, so the need wasn't urgent, but I could see how LTE's would have been handy for a situation like that.

Exactly... it is not about reverse. all about lateral movement. and with the LTE's, reverse is exactly the same for me

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reading sooo many threads lately on going backwards, I'm thinking boat design is going that way :(. I have a 2016 boat with the factory keel, I don't feel it adds much to the handling, I then purchased some fins which did improve slow manoeuvrability a little but thats it, the boat is what it is.
I do sometimes wonder with people adding so many aftermarket products, have they bought the right boat :confused:.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reading sooo many threads lately on going backwards, I'm thinking boat design is going that way :(. I have a 2016 boat with the factory keel, I don't feel it adds much to the handling, I then purchased some fins which did improve slow manoeuvrability a little but thats it, the boat is what it is.
I do sometimes wonder with people adding so many aftermarket products, have they bought the right boat :confused:.
If we bought prop boats I believe we still would have aftermarket mod discussion; Trim Tabs, 2 blade props vs 3 blade props, Stabilizer Fins or not
I don't think anyone makes a prefect boat.
Aftermarket customization is not needed but really personal preference and a way to put your own stamp on your boat.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If someone made a bracket to adapt the reverse ride bucket with attached fins then I wouldn’t bitch about it.

4FE68644-4033-488F-9DC9-D49EDDF3A003.jpeg

Like this

55B69344-4977-4129-AB9F-DD3344A579FA.jpeg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
*pm me and we can discuss royalties.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe we need to remember this important fact. Reverse thrust using a fixed bucket shown above with 45 degree exits on either side steer backward like sea doo and chaparral etc.. So having that style reverse steering bucket would require removing the rudder on the new boats or one would end up canceling out the other .
I address this on my 4 tec system by having the reverse bucket cover the majority of the fins when it is deployed for backing the boat.
This avoids the fins working against the reverse thrust when backing .

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If someone made a bracket to adapt the reverse ride bucket with attached fins then I wouldn’t bitch about it.

View attachment 71152

Like this

View attachment 71153
There is someone doing this @ the Barney’s Dealership in the Tampa Bay Area but it’s metal (aluminum?) and looks very heavy which may wear out the puny bucket cable really quickly. Plus, as of last year it was nearly $2k

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This thread is about trying to demonstrating how much reverse thrust may be lost if using LTEs. While a valid concern or not can be debated but it must be a somewhat common one given time was spent to honestly demonstrate without a hard sales pitch. @Maillis has a good point in that could be a slight amount of interference that is right on with the thread. As I have mentioned I have one of the most difficult docking situations. I have to use a significant amount of reverse thrust to make up for my lack of lateral thrust to counteract wind pushing me laterally away from the dock while I am backing into the slip. If I had lateral thrust I would need less reverse thrust but still a fair amount unless I also had a bow thruster and I don't see anyone putting those on our boats. I found the video relevant for my particular misgivings about giving these a try. I think the design represents innovative out of the fin thinking and minimal required compromises. To each their own wether they think this is right for them but I believe this gives more information with which to make a decision prior to forking over hard earned money.

For me sure I can safely dock with it stock and with the aftermarket upgrades I have installed but it can be a real PIA with up to three attempts needed at times in high winds. I don't know when I will get around to giving these a try but I do plan to at some point.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes wind and current are the enemy when docking more power means more counter forces to deal with these detractors.
However you choose ,I believe @jcyamaharider is correct about using the controls for more effect something I think @Maillis may wish to check out when he installs his new system.
And as the boating season opens for more locations we will be getting more opinions , since my steering systems are compatible with either mega fangs or lateral thrusters It matters not to me what ever floats your boat forward backward or sideways.