• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lateral Thrusters AND Cobra Jet Steering Install

Chewiem16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha Jetboat | Lateral Thrusters with CobraJet Steering

Considering Jet Boat Pilot’s Lateral Thrusters, but already have Cobra Jet Steering installed? Don’t worry, it’s possible and easier than you think! Follow along, and let’s install this together!

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd like to install the lateral thrusters on my 21' 195. Obviously a different model, but maybe a similar install.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I made special side force stabilizers so people could add them if they wanted to , there are probably a lot of older posts about it on the search feature. I built the mega Fang plus for enhanced reverse thrust, better stopping power and a power steering effect to be compatible with the correct side force stabilizer and the twin set is only $169.99

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Considering Jet Boat Pilot’s Lateral Thrusters, but already have Cobra Jet Steering installed? Don’t worry, it’s possible and easier than you think! Follow along, and let’s install this together!
Been there and done that, years ago. That is had cobra fins with original fangs and replaced the latter with lateral thrusters. You may have a different opinion/recommendation but mine is don‘t do it. Even the smaller fangs had more influence than the lateral thrusters. In retro-spect I should have just upgraded to larger fangs, it would have been a lot less expensive but that’s the cost of trying something new/different. This time around it was $400 for comparison I could have upgrade to larger fangs for under $100. It’s all relative. I live in CA, where gas costs close to $6 per gallon so $300 would fill the $50 gallon tank on the boat, once, it even that if I buy the gas in the water.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Chewiem16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Been there and done that, years ago. That is had cobra fins with original fangs and replaced the latter with lateral thrusters. You may have a different opinion/recommendation but mine is don‘t do it. Even the smaller fangs had more influence than the lateral thrusters. In retro-spect I should have just upgraded to larger fangs, it would have been a lot less expensive but that’s the cost of trying something new/different. This time around it was $400 for comparison I could have upgrade to larger fangs for under $100. It’s all relative. I live in CA, where gas costs close to $6 per gallon so $300 would fill the $50 gallon tank on the boat, once, it even that if I buy the gas in the water.
View attachment 175200
I thought the mega fangs would have fixed my reverse control as well. They definitely have the ”riding on rails“ control in forward which was nice. The lateral thrusters though helped with that low speed reverse maneuvering needed in tighter docking situations. Definitely more comfortable having them on. like you said though, it’s awesome that we have options depending on the ride you want!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 175200
I am a little confused to what setup those lateral thruster are? Looks like you have 2 sets that were designed for the single application.
Looks like the starboard pump has the exhaust for the thruster on the inside? What am i seeing there?

I have cobras on my ar240 with lateral thrusters and previously had fangs, which i removed cause i found them useless compared to the lateral thrusters.
I never found any benefit to them. Didn't make the steering any lighter, didn't improve reverse thrust.

I like the much better forward control, with less wondering with the cobra fins.
And now the reverse steering is precise and predictable with the thusters. Probably the best control mod i have done

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Neutron, you got it right. I have single engine lateral thrusters under each steering nozzle/cobra fin assembly. Will at JBP recommended that I get the single engine versions which are taller but they only provide lateral thrust in one direction and I think if you use both throttles in reverse they will counter each other. So I got the single one engine models instead. IMHO the intakes and output ports are too thin so they don’t put out enough lateral thrust.

misc.memories. Cost about $400 for the LTs. I was sent the double engine models instead of the singles that I ordered. When I called about it I was told they sent what Jeff recommended not what I ordered. I ended up speaking with a manager who set it up so that I would get what I ordered soon after they received the wrong pair back. If I recall correctly I had to pay the return shipping fee or at least the incremental for priority delivery. Yeah, not the best transaction I’ve ever had with them and I’ve had a lot. But it’s all good now.

all that said, DOES ANYONE HERE WANT TO BUY A SET OF used LTs? Make me an offer or trade me for a set of mega fangs (I need the mounting plates as well).

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for posting. I first installed lateral thrusters alone, then added thrust vectors too. I was curious how the cobras were so I took everything off and installed those and it was a bit of an improvement in low speed forward control and noticeable in high speed. But then I kinda missed the lateral thruster reverse control so I got the brackets to install them with the cobras, but still haven’t gotten around to it. This video makes it seem easier than I anticipated.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Neutron, you got it right. I have single engine lateral thrusters under each steering nozzle/cobra fin assembly. Will at JBP recommended that I get the single engine versions which are taller but they only provide lateral thrust in one direction and I think if you use both throttles in reverse they will counter each other. So I got the single one engine models instead. IMHO the intakes and output ports are too thin so they don’t put out enough lateral thrust.

misc.memories. Cost about $400 for the LTs. I was sent the double engine models instead of the singles that I ordered. When I called about it I was told they sent what Jeff recommended not what I ordered. I ended up speaking with a manager who set it up so that I would get what I ordered soon after they received the wrong pair back. If I recall correctly I had to pay the return shipping fee or at least the incremental for priority delivery. Yeah, not the best transaction I’ve ever had with them and I’ve had a lot. But it’s all good now.

all that said, DOES ANYONE HERE WANT TO BUY A SET OF used LTs? Make me an offer or trade me for a set of mega fangs (I need the mounting plates as well).

I would like to clarify something here, I never recommend any lateral thrusters not past or current styles especially the new ones as the newest style nozzles starting on model year 2019 boats are quite effective with a split set of reverse thrusts that provide reverse thrust in a V formation to give the boat a reverse thrust and an angled thrust at the same time either way you are turning. After reading your post regarding why you were sent the wrong parts I hope your post is not saying that the person you talked to said I was the one who told them to use one or the other because that would not happen.
So if I understand your post Hopefully you just mixed up the names because I don't recommend any lateral thrusters .
I always tell people to stagger their throttles if they have a twin engine boat with independent throttle control It works with nothing added and it also works with my mega fang plus added. Or my steering added staggering the throttles is standard procedure for making a boat swing sideways while backing.
I never recommend any modification that reduces your reverse thrust , backing power or stopping power from what the factory provides stock.
I do make an alternate side force stabilizer for people who want to try the lateral thrusters with my super steering because It's their boat and they should be able to do what they want if possible.
Just like I always tell people to try the boat as it was built first ,then see what if any improvements the boat needs in the steering and handling department.
Below is a picture to show the difference between the early nozzle reverse opening design and the 2019 and newer nozzle reverse openings .
The nozzle on the right is the early one like you have and the one on the left is the newer one , the 2 angled thrust openings carefully provide both a reverse thrust and a semi reverse thrust with an angle added but not too much of an angle to hinder the reverse thrust power and just enough angle to provide a side thrust in either direction. This provides a very balanced result when backing and turning or just backing straight .

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I thought the mega fangs would have fixed my reverse control as well. They definitely have the ”riding on rails“ control in forward which was nice. The lateral thrusters though helped with that low speed reverse maneuvering needed in tighter docking situations. Definitely more comfortable having them on. like you said though, it’s awesome that we have options depending on the ride you want!
I do not believe that your boat has the independent throttles so if my memory serves me correctly You can not stagger your throttles, I forget what year they started doing the independent throttles but I thought it was around 2012.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am a little confused to what setup those lateral thruster are? Looks like you have 2 sets that were designed for the single application.
Looks like the starboard pump has the exhaust for the thruster on the inside? What am i seeing there?

I have cobras on my ar240 with lateral thrusters and previously had fangs, which i removed cause i found them useless compared to the lateral thrusters.
I never found any benefit to them. Didn't make the steering any lighter, didn't improve reverse thrust.

I like the much better forward control, with less wondering with the cobra fins.
And now the reverse steering is precise and predictable with the thusters. Probably the best control mod i have done
I have had the same set up for 3 years - Lateral Thrusts with Cobra AKs (2016 242s) - best combo you can think off. Incredible reverse and docking control coupled with the stability of both low & high speed turning. Its 've put almost 180 hours with this combo over 3 seasons and couldn't imagine going back. So cool when docking (or slightly adjusting the rear positioning to center a skier) and how I can swing the back left and right like a bigger and traditional 2 engine bow with stern thrusters.

Chewiem16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had the same set up for 3 years - Lateral Thrusts with Cobra AKs (2016 242s) - best combo you can think off. Incredible reverse and docking control coupled with the stability of both low & high speed turning. Its 've put almost 180 hours with this combo over 3 seasons and couldn't imagine going back. So cool when docking (or slightly adjusting the rear positioning to center a skier) and how I can swing the back left and right like a bigger and traditional 2 engine bow with stern thrusters.
Yes!!! exactly!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the older 2018 and earlier models there are 2 fang options the AK fangs that were mounted on the outer fin for a slight improvement in reverse and power steering for 45 dollars and the AK mega fang plus setup that has two fangs per nozzle , that setup is $220 for the twin engine set. Totally different once again if you used the throttles independently you could slide the back of the boat quite easily. And now I have totally redesigned the inexpensive AK fang sets in comparison to the first style.
1649549095700.jpeg

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like to clarify something here, I never recommend any lateral thrusters not past or current styles especially the new ones as the newest style nozzles starting on model year 2019 boats are quite effective with a split set of reverse thrusts that provide reverse thrust in a V formation to give the boat a reverse thrust and an angled thrust at the same time either way you are turning. After reading your post regarding why you were sent the wrong parts I hope your post is not saying that the person you talked to said I was the one who told them to use one or the other because that would not happen.
So if I understand your post Hopefully you just mixed up the names because I don't recommend any lateral thrusters .
sorry Jeff, you are correct, I just mixed you up with Will at jet boat pilot. Will recommend that I go with the twin engine LTs, not you.

For everyone else, Ive purchased three sets of Cobra jet fins, a set of fangs and misc parts from Jeff since 2008 and never had any issues with shipping or customer support. That is I’ve always got what I ordered delivered when expected.

Sparkydtw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

How much you want for the LTs thx

Sparkydtw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Hi did you notice any difference at forward speed without the mega fins ? Thx

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the class of 2022 No other steering can come close to providing you with real full time steering like my steering does and has done for a long time .