• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leaky Scarab

alex duman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Hi,
I have a 2018 Scarab ID, bought new in 2018. last summer I tried clearing some seaweed from the intake by revving engine in forward and reverse. Unfortunately, in this process I blew a hole in the muffler. Muffler was leaking, took the boat back in and ordered a new muffler. replaced the muffler, but still have a leak that appears to be coming from a seal near the jet drive. When the boat is running, there's no leak, but when boat is off, water runs into the boat hull. I'm told this is an engine out fix on some type of seal. Does anyone have any info that might help? Also, I'm not having any luck locating a service manual anywhere.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The muffler was likely damaged because the weeds clogged the intake which is located inside the pump by the impeller. If the impeller can't produce enough pressure, there's no water coming in to cool the exhaust sytem which overheats and can literally melt plastic parts. Hopefully you understand that part now and are more careful with weeds. For some, jet boats are not for them if you happen to be in heavy sea weed area. If you do suck them up, you need to get them cleared if it's that bad. Most weeds are chewed up and spit out, but some of the heavier stuff won't. You're left with two options. One, go in the water and pull them out by hand. Two, do a "flat spin". Accelerate so that you make the biggest wake possible (note, speed isn't important). When you have a large wake behind you, spin the boat as hard as you can to one side. As the turn starts, kill the engine via the kill switch. That will spin the boat around and you'll start back surfing the wake. The water will then enter the jet nozzle from the stern and flush in the opposite direction and push weeds out the intake. But this only works sometimes and won't remove weeds stuck inside the impeller. Just on the intake grate. You can do it a few times in both directions.

The seal you're speaking of is likely the carbon seal. It's the seal that goes around the drive shaft as it exits the hull to reach the impeller. The seal is incredibly important. If it's damaged, it will cause a leak, potentially massive and can literally sink your boat. It's made of carbon and can wear out due to a few factors. Heat is usually the big culprit. This is why you are not suppose to flush the engine out of water for more than 2 min officially, and most do it well under 1 min at most. That seal is NOT cooled out of water even if you have a hose on it. Another reason is engine alignment, but that's pretty rare these days. If it's out of alignment, it will rub against the seal in one spot and wear it out. Another big/common reason is if you suck up something. I suspect this is what happened to you. If you suck up something hard, it can break that seal as well. Not as common but it does happen. Ropes especially. What type of seaweed do you have? Is it like sea stuff, super thick? That can behave like a rope.

So you likely need to replace your carbon seal. But it would be a good idea to confirm before going ahead and doing that. One of the common methods is while it's on the trailer, turn off the bilge pump and dump a bunch of water in the bilge so that it covers the drive shaft. And see if it comes out the bottom from inside the intake grate area (forward of it). You can also turn on the engine a few seconds once there's water in there to see if it accelerates the leak. Again, don't run it too long.

Carbon seal replacements are doable, but without experience and a special tool, they can be difficult. Check your PMs for more info.

alex duman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
This is extremely helpful, thank you. Ran the test and carbon seal bad. I have a mechanic working in this, but not a scarab mechanic. Can you point me in the direction of the tool I need? Also, does the engine need removal?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The engine shouldn't need to be removed. The tool needed is shown in the material I messaged you. I recommend they get familiar with how to do this via a sea-doo carbon seal video on YouTube. Same procedure.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Does this person know sea-doo? Because they should. If not, they better learn first what needs to be done. Again, details in the material I sent you.