• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED Lightbar

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't read the article or other links but the reason you don't run with more than navigation lights and the white 360 degree light, is because other boats can't tell what a boat is doing without those lights. And spotlights or cockpit LEDs on while running will drown out the navigation lights. On aircraft, the same lights are referred to as "position" lights. Because the red port and starboard green, in combination with rear or 360 degree white, tell you the direction of travel of the boat in question. Any additional lights make it impossible. If it is impossible, right of way rules can't be applied and that is s dangerous situation. Many of us have GPS chart plotters on our boats. And I can run at 25 to 28 mph on a moonless night, with my GPS and NO other light other than my position and white anchor light. I wear a ball cap to block her white from my field of vision, and throw a towel over my dash lights. I can see the water without blinding other boaters, out about 100'. I could even see a floating log. I have tried to run with a spotlight on for short bursts and the back scatter as well as ambient increase just destroy your night vision. High power light wasn't intended for "running". It was only intended for marking a fixed position and taking a reading so to speak. We all see the idiots running with big lights and it is illegal, dangerous, and the cause of boat rage! I wouldn't do it because someone may try to turn those lights out from a distance. Be safe and don't blind everyone else.

One more consideration. LED lights are not as illuminating as they are bright. The can be seen for miles and yet they don't illuminate objects in front of them as much as halogen lights can. A million or more candlepower spotlight can be very directional and not generate as much backscatter and it doesn't shine outside s very tight spotlight beam. Other boaters can see it but aren't as blinded or confused by it as they are LEDs.

Last edited:

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm not going to do the Lightbar because what everyone is saying makes sense. I just figured if I had a Lightbar on a switch i could flick it on real quick when I need it and then turn it back off easily.