• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Left engine no ignition

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe a few will have some thoughts on this, for a while now my left engine when key is turned does nothing, but if it continued turning key off and on after about 5 times engine would crank and all would be good, recently when i turned the key i heard a click coming from control box at rear. I am assuming it was the starter relay. I ordered a new one (against my better judgement i bought after market) installed it and first turn engine cranked over normal. I thought problem solved. I tried to start it today and nothing. no power when key is turned on at all. Battery is fully charged. I ordered another relay but this time a Yamaha one. any other thoughts as to what could be going on? Possibly starter 2006 SX230 with MR1engines.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@fairpilot ..Are you sure its not the key switch itself ? I had a similar intermittent problem with my 06, i just sprayed some silicone spray in the key slot and seemed to work the last few weeks before i sold the boat....and it was the left engine also

Last edited:

BDOne

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be the starter motor. Maybe brushes and/or dirty commutator.

You could try swapping it with the starter from the other motor to see if it eliminates the problem.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Most likely it is a ground wire gone bad next suspect would be the kill switches in the rear hatch , try a direct hot lead jump to your starter side of the relay and a direct jump to the negative side of the battery from the engine block.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did swap keys with no change. I did find some corrosion on starter lead cleaned it and engine started. I also charged batteries out of boat. So not sure what or if either fixed it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My first thought was one of the kill switches on the clean out port hatch. Maybe try swapping the wires from side to side on the switches and see if the problem mysteriously 'jumps' to the starboard.