• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Longboat Key - Sarasota: Short Term Storage?

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions. Thinking about visiting Longboat key for a week this summer. Most condos do not accommodate boat/trailer parking.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to store a boat/trailer so it’s accessible during my stay?

MMWalton1119

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
If you want to stay somewhere and have your boat docked try the Ramada in Sarasota. They even let us bring the Truck and Trailer. It's a 3 star Hotel but clean and the bar and food are pretty decent. We just stayed there this past weekend and plan on staying again in the future. It's only a 15 min ride to longboat from there.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback. Did you have access to a house for rising down & flushing? I ended up booking a house via VRBO that’s on a canal and a 3 min walk to the beach. Looking forward to the summer trip. Any tips on places to check out?

MMWalton1119

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I do remember electrical hookups but didn't pay attention if there were any water hookups/hoses. Depending where you are staying check out longboat pass/Jewfish key, lots of people either beach their boats by the overpass or anchor in the water across from the bridge. Also Sarasota Big Bend Pass sandbar, Egmont Key, Shell Key, and if you want to take a ride down the inter-coastal to Snake Island in the Venice Inlet. All good places to hang out.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was aware of the area by Jewfish Key, aka Beer Can Island. Appreciate the other spots.

Will be staying on the Northern part of Longboat. How is the intercostal from there to Snake Island, cruising or lots of no wake?

Any restaurants via water that you would recommend?

MMWalton1119

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
There are a lot of no wakes heading south to Snake Island starting around south Sarasota but not unbearable (about hour ride). Here's a map of the No Wake Zones in the area. Sarasota County Boat Speed Zones
If weather is good save some time and go out by the gulf and skip them. We did that on the way back and it was a pretty quick ride. Casey Key Fish House is on the inter coastal just before Venice at the swing bridge (Blackburn Point). They film mtv's Siesta Key there. Just south of Snake Island is the Crow's Nest. Heading North (Cortez Bridge) is The Seafood Shack but call ahead for boat parking and they'll hold you a spot. If you hit the Manatee River check out Woody's right next to I-75. All have boat parking. We go out all the time there are tons of places just hit google while you're on the water and you'll find something. Oh and if weather is good riding out to Tampa Bay Beer Can Island (not Jewfish) is alot of fun too. You can go to Cockroach Bay (watch the shallows) and eat at Hook's Waterside Bar right across from Beer can.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks again for that. Apparently Google Maps has Beer Can Island incorrectly identified, and I did not realize that until you pointed it out. Attached are two images, one is Google Maps, other is Apple Maps, and the two points are clearly different. But the weird thing is, when I was searching articles about things to do in Sarasota, a local blog spoke of Beer Can Island as being on the North Side of Longboat Key, so maybe the locals call this sandbar an island?

I greatly appreciate the link to the map of speed zones and the tips on places to check out, that’s very useful information to have!

Attachments

MMWalton1119

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
The sandbar North west of Jewfish is also known as Beer Can Island and also the map point as well but people refer to both, so you were right. Both are Beer Can just one is in Tampa Bay and one in Longboat. The one at Longboat has Police there all the time but it has gotten better since, so definitely watch your speed there.