• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for a Project Boat

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking for a project boat. Anything from a small aluminum fishing boat up to a 25' boat on a trailer if possible. Can't seem to find much lately. I want something that I can fix up, that needs a good amount of work and at a lower price point. Stumble across a couple that were perfect, I just couldn't get to them fast enough. If anyone has or runs across anything let me know. An objective that I have is to fix it up and allow use of it for an outreach/educational program I plan on starting this summer.

I have been scouring facebook, locally, not much popping up that is cost effective yet. I just subscribed to the FB group you posted. Thanks.

What's your price range, how far are you willing to travel, and how much is a fair amount of work? Are you looking for something that's running and only needs cosmetic work or are you willing to do engine work?

Price Range is $0 - 5k/10k. Probably. I don't mind traveling as Long as I can be there in a day give or take (8-12 hrs). Willing to do engine work and cosmetic work. Through Hang Outdoors, Inc. I want to have a few boats eventually that can be used by Parents/Kids through the commuity to go fishing, fishing education, boating education, boating safety, outings, etc. and to create memories for those whom do not have means to be on the water. The conversation came up with a charity organization whom approached me recently. Of course I need to fully take care of and secure the watercraft. The less I spend on the acquisition would be beneficial. Additionally, they want to get their teenagers involved in working on restoring the boat as well, whom attend their programs already. Inner city youth as well as high schoolers from the area whom are having challenges navigating their lives right now. Some of their other programs that are running include, working on restoring homes, working on cars, etc.

I have another discussion with them planned for February, so at this time I am working on seeing what I can find and/or get. Trying to ascertain how viable it is and can help them put this together that I can actually afford to do it.

We did a few years of a chapter of NYPUM (National Youth Program Using Minibikes) in the mid 70's. brand new minibikes donated by Mr Honda our chapter got 14 MR-50 Elsinore's and 2 CT-70's by Mr Honda and administered through the YMCA. We donated our time and our farmland and we had a couple of Z-50's that we restricted the throttle on, and I made a restrictor kit for the two strokes by putting washer in the exhaust port that limites RPM. I was the instructor and mechanic at 15 and my dad administered it and my mom was the EMT... Keep in mind i had 10 years of riding experience by then and 8 years of flat track and TT racing by then. Very satisfying impacted many kids lives for the good.

@HangOutdoors I assume you’ll setup an ~LLC for this. If you get it properly registered as a charitable organization you could then accept donated boats and the donors could have a write off. That could open up better acquisition opportunities.

@HangOutdoors I assume you’ll setup an ~LLC for this. If you get it properly registered as a charitable organization you could then accept donated boats and the donors could have a write off. That could open up better acquisition opportunities.
Thanks for the input. Hang Outdoors® Inc. is a For Profit, Corp. Been around for about 11 Years, working here and there in the outdoor industry, MarTech, Data and Integrations, as well as applications. I have sponsored and supported different charitible organizations initiatives over the years in various capacities, when able to. This came up and sounded like something I wanted to do, depending on the feasiblity and cost.

I'm with @84rzv500r I would look into partnering with a few companies to build a fleet of similar boats. I would think simple/easy to maintain components that are standardized. Something like a couple aluminum hulls with 4-stroke OB's on them.

I went to KY's conservation camp as a kid. They had a small "fleet" of Jon boats with tiller driven outboards on them. They were used to teach basic boating, fishing, casting, as well as get general safety protocols ingrained early. If you got all your badge work done by Thursday afternoon you could sign up for the "explorer" trip on Friday morning. Leave at sunrise and go out on the lake beyond the normal limits with an instructor in each boat. Would stay out most of the day fishing and such. I did it my second year and it was an amazing experience with the instructors basically just being there as insurance. We got full run of the boat and gear and could essentially do what we wanted.

Was a great program, and I have to think that the cash to keep something like that going wasn't absurdly high. I remember fees (in the early 90's) being around $125/kid or something like that for the week. Granddad always paid for me to go as my parents didn't have the spare cash. I would expect you're looking to generate similar experiences. Good luck man!

Thanks for the input. Hang Outdoors® Inc. is a For Profit, Corp. Been around for about 11 Years, working here and there in the outdoor industry, MarTech, Data and Integrations, as well as applications. I have sponsored and supported different charitible organizations initiatives over the years in various capacities, when able to. This came up and sounded like something I wanted to do, depending on the feasiblity and cost.
I’m not an expert in this, but I suggest looking into establishing a nonprofit to legally separate Hang Outdoors Inc from the charitable work. It could help the operations of the charitable work and protect each from an adverse condition in the other. Much like large corps establish a “Foundation” that performs the charitable work that is financed by donations from the primary corp.

I’m not an expert in this, but I suggest looking into establishing a nonprofit to legally separate Hang Outdoors Inc from the charitable work. It could help the operations of the charitable work and protect each from an adverse condition in the other. Much like large corps establish a “Foundation” that performs the charitable work that is financed by donations from the primary corp.

Appreciate the advice. My attorneys and accountant handle all of the legal things, in these such matters. Once I see if it is viable they will take care of it. It may just come down to us donating everything and standing back.

This looks like an interesting project. Also might extend your fishing season a bit with the pilot house.

I have a project boat but unfortunately I’m too far from you.

I restored it partially before. Old StarCraft supersport aluminum boat. They have quite a few models and sizes from the 60s-70s that are great for a learning/fun project and can be had for next to nothing. Replacing a transom is probably the hardest part.

If you were willing to travel to southwest FL, there were a lot of boats damaged in the hurricane. Some people have minor damage and are just getting out and in some cases insurance paid out but they aren't picking up the boats for salvage.

Last edited:
So if I am seeing this right, you just cut a large ass hole in your boat and drop in a Hot Tob?

A nice Scout and a Yamaha. I hope it was not @veedubtek 's boat.

Last edited:
Back