• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking for an upgrade for 2024

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had my AR192 for 5 years now and I'm ready to upgrade to something bigger, better for rough water, with a head compartment, and still trailerable. Don't want to get too crazy because I only come here for the summers (exactly 3 months) I don't need a wakeboard tower so I've narrowed it to 3 options.

1. No loan, buy a 2008 AR230
2. No loan, buy a 2000's Rinker 246 Captiva Cuddy, Regal 2250 LSC Cuddy etc.
3. 20k down, get a 6 year loan, 6.5%, finance 25k, 2016+ AR240

Option #1 is nice because I think it's economical and reliable. But the head compartment is small.
Option #2 has a protection from elements, large head compartment, sink, etc. but I'm nervous about inboard engines
Option #3 newer boat, probably never have problems, probably will hold value, but will start again a 6 year loan.

I guess the only real way to make this decision is to try each of these boats. How impossible that would be! lol
Any thoughts?
And its a long shot but, anyone local to Long Island have a AR230 or 240 that I can try?

I/o are a pain to work on I’d stay clear. The 2016 had timing chain issues so I’d see if that was addressed. Having said that I love my 17 ar240.

Trying the boats shouldn't be difficult but would cost you some cash. A subset of my renters rent mostly to take an extended test drive.

Spend the money, get the best boat you can afford. You only live once.

I have a 2006 RInker 246 Captiva Cuddy. It is a tank in rough water. Let me know if you have questions! FYI, it will likely be up for sale in MI within a few weeks as well.

I have a 2006 RInker 246 Captiva Cuddy. It is a tank in rough water. Let me know if you have questions! FYI, it will likely be up for sale in MI within a few weeks as well.

PM sent! After being on some boats this past weekend, I'm thinking about finding a clean cuddy cabin.

Prior to my current boat I owned two I/O's....I wouldn't say they are difficult to maintain, just different with a tad more steps:
* Winterizing requires draining water from the engine, not a game changer (drain the block, drain the exhaust manifolds, if it has a transmission cooler drain that too)
* Oil changes - if it has a remote oil filter changes are a breeze (pump out the oil from the dip stick and remove the filter), even without a remote oil filter they are not difficult, just involves reaching behind the block to remove the filter.
* Outdrive Gear oil - Remove drain plug, gear oil gravity flows out, pump new oil in from the bottom...easy peezy
* Spark plugs - every boat they require gymnastics to remove a few plugs
* Impeller replacement - Handful of bolts to remove lower drive unit, then install new impeller...re-assemble.

Above list of items I was able to perform annually in my driveway with my wife as the helper; previous boats Sea-Ray SD200 and Four Winns (I don't remember which model!!!)

Back