• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for my next boat - which years to stay away from?

Playing the other side here, the only thing I would avoid is engine models prior to the timing chain update. That's a catastrophic failure point.
Clarification, the one year prior to the update, as it was a half year of builds that showed the most concentration of failures. That last half year of builds is what pushed Yamaha to do the update. Thousands of 1.8ltr powered boats produced from 2010 to 2014 with hardly a failure.

The Connext is just a display, it doesn't really control anything directly so you can still start the engines and run the boat normally while waiting for a new screen to arrive. The ECU controls most of the electrical functions. You just lose some switchable functions like nav lights, etc. and displayed info. I know this because I had to start the engines quickly one time as my anchor broke loose and we were drifting towards an exposed shoal. The engines fired right up and I started to drive away long before the screen had come on.

And how many screen failures have there actually been? Out of thousands of boats sold ever year, there have been a few failures...probably within the margin of error for defects. Since buying the boat, I've added a second display screen (7" chartplotter), two amps, an on-board charger, etc. All of these electronic items could fail, but statistically they likely won't. It's like refusing to buy a new car because it has power windows instead of crank up windows...the tech is stable and reliable. Sure there's still the odd failure, but that happens with anything man-made.
The Connext is just a display, it doesn't really control anything directly so you can still start the engines and run the boat normally while waiting for a new screen to arrive. The ECU controls most of the electrical functions. You just lose some switchable functions like nav lights, etc. and displayed info. I know this because I had to start the engines quickly one time as my anchor broke loose and we were drifting towards an exposed shoal. The engines fired right up and I started to drive away long before the screen had come on.

And how many screen failures have there actually been? Out of thousands of boats sold ever year, there have been a few failures...probably within the margin of error for defects. Since buying the boat, I've added a second display screen (7" chartplotter), two amps, an on-board charger, etc. All of these electronic items could fail, but statistically they likely won't. It's like refusing to buy a new car because it has power windows instead of crank up windows...the tech is stable and reliable. Sure there's still the odd failure, but that happens with anything man-made.
I agree, not many screens fail out of the entire population of screens out there and I only read about the failures but we are talking about a used boat on which the warranty may have expired. Even with a warranty people have had and are still having issues getting a replacement screen. I’ve seen posts here claiming that without the screen the boater lost a lot of functionality like the ability to control the oem ballast system, bilge pump, blower, etc. as I recall some said they could not control the stock stereo, at least from the cockpit. All of that makes me glad that I don’t have a connext display/system on my boat but I still they they look cool and modern. Just wouldn’t be on my must have list for a used yamaha.

Our family has a 2010 Ar240 which we bought new. It was the 1st year with 1.8L motors, squareish bow seating, amd low swim deck. We use the boat 15 to 25 times a year. It is stored in my driveway on trailer in summer and in a friend's heated concrete floor barn I'm the winter. We still frequently get compliments on our new boat from strangers. It is 2010 and we take care of it and it shows. Problems have been very minimal in all the years we have owned it. It has about 400 hours on the engines. Oil coolers were replaced under warranty. Timing chain has never given us a problem and not too concerned about it.
If I had to replace my boat with your budget. I would look for anything 2010 or newer with the 1.8 motors in the size and layout you want.
I prefer to purchase used things from people rather than the dealer. The money transaction and title paperwork can be scary and difficult. However, by meeting the owner and the person who took care of the boat. You learn more valuable information than just looking at the boat often times.

I have one of the COVID era boats, 2022 2012XD, and the issues come down to fit and finish with these. I can’t speak for pre COVID, but mine had a bunch of small fit and finish issues the first season. Yamaha covered all of them. It was weird things like a loose cleat, cockpit trim piece came loose and a bow cushion was misaligned. I just kept a list and at the end of the season took it in and they fixed it all. No issue took me off the water.

Ronnie weren't you one of the few that had the timing chain issue on the 2010? And I think you were one of the folks that confirmed the oil cooler bolt was limited to the 2010 1.8ltr engines.

Timing chain failures can be very expensive, so they got plenty of attention when failed. But the rarity never gave enough indication for Yamaha to do a recall. And I believe a TSB was only issued on late build 2014 and 2015 model years as it was most prevalent. And still then, not enough for a recall.
You are correct. That is, I got my 2010 in 2012 with 100 hours on it. I had already heard / read about the oil cooler issue so I checked that part of the boat out first. Both oil coolers were fine, so I thought this isn’t one of the few boats with an oil cooler problem , great. I switched to full synthetic and by the time I put 100 hours on the motors both oil coolers were leaking (face plates / covers warped and bolts popping heads). Got both replaced under a third party extended warranty ($1,250 per oil cooler parts and labor at a dealer). Thanks to the previous owner not yamaha which never issued a recall.

Fast forward a few years to 2016/2017 and I start reading about timing chain issues but mostly or at first it’s only an issue with super charged engines, i probably have 300 hours on mine now so again I think this boat won’t have that problem. At this point yamaha is offering a timing chain upgrade kit for $2,500 per engine but no recall. I pass. Last season, one of my timing chains breaks at 500 hours, I could have had the engine repaired for about $2,500 but decided to replace both engines instead.

a bought new Waverunners in 2021 by 2022 Yamaha issued a recall on bad kill switches on the gp1800. I think the replacement part is under $100.

my take always: Yamaha only issues recalls on items that are relatively inexpensive to replace. Although these failures are rare, when it happens to you and you are suddenly off the water looking at an expensive repair it won’t feel rare at all and you won’t feel fortunate to be one of the lucky few to experience the failure.

If I suspected that either failure would occur on the 2010 I would have kept my 2006 sx230ho instead. That boat had older engines and hull design but never gave me any problems in the four years i owned it except missing silicone which caused cavitation (dyi fix for the cost of 5200 and a few hours under the boat). The current owner told me a year or so ago that he and his family are still enjoying the boat trouble free.

I’m changing my initial response a bit because of what’s available used. If I was in the market today I’d look for a 2014 242 LS and pay to upgrade the timing chains (parts alone are $5k, labor is 10 hours per engine). This way I would get newer oil coolers, know the timing chains are good and avoid connext altogether. I would not miss the 6” longer hull or the articulating keel/rudder. Alternatively or maybe primarily, I’d be looking for a low hour 2009 232 LS, bullet proof engines, head compartment, none of the other things I don’t care for.

I love the look and feel of the new models but their priced way out of my range/budget for me to consider. $40k for a 19’, $70k for a 22’, $90k for a 25’ and over $100k for a 27’, I’m talking out the door pricing so including dealer mark up, shipping, tax, etc. not the b.s. msrp which nobody (except maybe the dealer.) pays.

hindsight is always 20/20 but financially upgrading to a 230 was the great move, upgrading to a 242 was not.

enough Of this, it’s Saturday, the sun just came out, I’ve been driveway boating every weekend for almost 5 months, it’s time to go boating. I hope all you fathers or sons (and daughters) with fathers still around have a great Father’s Day weekend.

So, curious what I need to be aware of when looking at a 2011 AR240?

Also, if I want to go newer, thoughts on the TR1 engines? Lots of 210s available!!

Knock on wood, I have not had any issues with my 2017 ar240 (bought off the showroom floor new). 275 saltwater hours. Would recommend this year ??

So, curious what I need to be aware of when looking at a 2011 AR240?

Also, if I want to go newer, thoughts on the TR1 engines? Lots of 210s available!!

2011-2014 were very solid years for the 1.8's and 240/242 hulls. The oil cooler bolt issue was fixed, and the timing chain issues were very, very rare. Electronics seem to be good as well. Other than swimdeck remotes and that stupid horn.

Okay think tank, I would like your opinions on the following options (in no particular order). All boats appear to have been well kept and look very clean from the photos. I haven't seen any of them in person:

Option One:
2013 242 Limited S
180 Hours
New Cover
New Tires last year
New Speakers
Includes tubes, ropes, fenders etc
800 Mile drive
$44K

Option Two:
2011 AR 240
140 Hours
Cover
After Market Stereo System with tower speakers and amp
Thru Hull Battery Tender Plug
Gatlin Surf Wedge and Transom Fat Sac
Simrad GPS/Fish Finder
Keel Guard
800 Mile drive
$41K

Option Three:
2014 AR240
130 Hours
No Extras
300 Mile Drive
$42K

Okay think tank, I would like your opinions on the following options (in no particular order). All boats appear to have been well kept and look very clean from the photos. I haven't seen any of them in person:

Option One:
2013 242 Limited S
180 Hours
New Cover
New Tires last year
New Speakers
800 Mile drive
$44K

Option Two:
2011 AR 240
140 Hours
Cover
After Market Stereo System with tower speakers and amp
Thru Hull Battery Tender Plug
Gatlin Surf Wedge and Transom Fat Sac
Simrad GPS/Fish Finder
Keel Guard
800 Mile drive
$41K

Option Three:
2014 AR240
130 Hours
No Extras
300 Mile Drive
$42K

Ouch, I would say if you are not in a hurry, those are all great options but every one of them is $10K overpriced. And if I had to guess, will be $10K less in the next month if they don't care to store it.

In my region, Yamaha dealers are advertising stock of new boats, and the used market is heating up with inventory as well. It's not COVID pricing anymore.

For example, that 2011 AR240 was $44,999 new in the fall of 2010. Many were sold for less mid season etc, as that was back in the day when they discounted, and even threw in items like covers or YES warranties.

I personally would lean towards that 242LS, so many nice things added to that boat for similar money. That being said, it's still $10k overpriced. It was $53K new over 10 years ago.

Good luck, they are all nice rigs.

Ouch, I would say if you are not in a hurry, those are all great options but every one of them is $10K overpriced. And if I had to guess, will be $10K less in the next month if they don't care to store it.

In my region, Yamaha dealers are advertising stock of new boats, and the used market is heating up with inventory as well. It's not COVID pricing anymore.

For example, that 2011 AR240 was $44,999 new in the fall of 2010. Many were sold for less mid season etc, as that was back in the day when they discounted, and even threw in items like covers or YES warranties.

I personally would lean towards that 242LS, so many nice things added to that boat for similar money. That being said, it's still $10k overpriced. It was $53K new over 10 years ago.

Good luck, they are all nice rigs.
You bring up some really good points. I've been looking for a while and I have seen the prices coming down...not so much on the west coast though. There just isn't the number of boats out here that you guys have in the mid-west and east coast.

The biggest challenge for me is...can I wait long enough. I'm itching to get back out on the fresh water!

I also wonder how far, if any, prices will fall across the board given the pretty significant jump in MSRP for new boats. I think that has pulled used prices up and that they might stay higher until we have a major recession.

I think Pre-COVID pricing is a fair guess. Buying a loaded up 2010-2013 generation 242LS in great condition for well under $35K was the norm. We saw heavily used 2010 242LS as low as $25k, but they were much more rare.

I think the 240-242 hull is a great platform. And I know I appreciate the extra features, pads, tower of the 242 in that generation, that I could justify a bit more. It's not as noticeable in the newer generation boats, other than pads.

So, What did you hope to get in the new boat that your loved AR230 Does not do?

I'm with the others, if not in a hurry, wait another 2 months for desperation to kick in.

Thanks!!

So, What did you hope to get in the new boat that your loved AR230 Does not do?

I'm with the others, if not in a hurry, wait another 2 months for desperation to kick in.

Thanks!!
I would have shipped my 230 back to the lower 48 from Hawaii if I couldn't sell it for what I wanted. I was hoping to get $25k for it and ended up getting $29.5k - that was with 500 hrs on the engines.

At that price it was logical to sell it and buy another.

I think Pre-COVID pricing is a fair guess. Buying a loaded up 2010-2013 generation 242LS in great condition for well under $35K was the norm. We saw heavily used 2010 242LS as low as $25k, but they were much more rare.

I think the 240-242 hull is a great platform. And I know I appreciate the extra features, pads, tower of the 242 in that generation, that I could justify a bit more. It's not as noticeable in the newer generation boats, other than pads.
True, but a new comparable boat, ar250 in this case, didn't start at $71k. I think new boat prices play a much larger role in setting used boat prices. I feel like we might see a drop into the upper $30s but not much more than that.

Back