• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to purchase my first boat… possibly a 2020 AR210

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all…. I’ve been lurking around here for quite a while and am very thankful for all the info and tips I’ve been able to pick up from you all. I’ve been looking for a jet boat now for just about a year. I’ve been looking at the 2017-2020 Yamaha 195s (AR or SX, doesn’t really matter), the 2016-2019 Scarab 195s, and due to pricing older Yamaha 210s (2013-2016). I’ve really been focused on the 19 footers because I’m afraid the bigger boats might be too much for me for my first boat. But then I keep seeing “buy your second boat first” and think maybe the 21 footers are a happy medium between too small and too big. I just came across this one on Marketplace and it looks a little dirty but it still seems too good to be true to me. Can any of you guys detect any “red flags” that would make you run the other direction based on the listing? Thank you I’m advance for any advice you can provide.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same exact boat I have. Just looks dirty and stored outside maybe without cover. I have just under 100 on mine as well. Great Boat. That is a good price, almost seems too good, if he cleaned it up he could get circa $46k right now with the shortage of boats or more. I have been offered $10k more than that to sell mine, which I passed on. Family doesn't want to do without a boat this summer.

It also has a Galvanized trailer which is a plus.

Of course it will need a full inspection.

If this boat is actually for sale at that price and doesn't have any serious issues, you need to jump on it or I am sure someone else will. You could sell it for more than he is asking. be wary and be diligent.

Last edited:

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same exact boat I have. Just looks dirty and stored outside maybe without cover. I have just under 100 on mine as well. Great Boat. That is a good price, almost seems too good, if he cleaned it up he could get circa $46k right now with the shortage of boats or more. I have been offered $10k more than that to sell mine, which I passed on. Family doesn't want to do without a boat this summer.

It also has a Galvanized trailer which is a plus.

Of course it will need a full inspection.

If this boat is actually for sale at that price and doesn't have any serious issues, you need to jump on it or I am sure someone else will. You could sell it for more than he is asking. be wary and be diligent.
Thank you for your input. Are there inspectors who will go inspect a boat on my behalf without me being there? This particular boat is about 5 hours away from me, so it would be great if I could find someone in that area to inspect it for me to help me decide to even make the trip.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also just found this one. Is it odd that this listing somehow makes me feel more comfortable than the other one? Thoughts between the two?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go with the 2020 AR210 for the price he is offering. You don't mention where you are located and where the boat is. Maybe someone will chime in.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with the 2020 AR210 for the price he is offering. You don't mention where you are located and where the boat is. Maybe someone will chime in.
Sorry about that... I'm in Delaware. The 2020 is in Merry Hill, NC and the 2015 is in VA Beach.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
What are the engines hours on the 2020? NVM. 100. So they got good use out of the boat last summer. Also, do they have the 5 year YES warranty? I believe that is transferrable, but something to check. Also, being a 2020, it should be an easy call to where they got the boat to see what the service history is. Should have at least the 10 hour break in, and end of year service. But if it has the warranty, then I would think the only concerns out there would be cosmetic.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I went with a 19fter (18ft to be exact) as my first boat.. It very quickly becomes crowded lol... Everybody always wants to bring "a friend" which i don't mind! But when they say "rated for 8 people max" that really means 5 people comfortably... 5 people plus gear, towels, coolers, shoes etc. really adds up.. That, on top of the fact that a single engine becomes sluggish quickly makes me recommend a 21ft twin engine if your budget allows it. Nobody ever said "this boat is too big" or "this boat has too much power"

When my budget allows for it, i will be upgrading to the same! Hate taking out loans, so will have to save up the cash again.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the engines hours on the 2020? NVM. 100. So they got good use out of the boat last summer. Also, do they have the 5 year YES warranty? I believe that is transferrable, but something to check. Also, being a 2020, it should be an easy call to where they got the boat to see what the service history is. Should have at least the 10 hour break in, and end of year service. But if it has the warranty, then I would think the only concerns out there would be cosmetic.
He says it does have the extended warranty. Guess means I should be fairly comfortable with it as long as it cleans up well?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again, that price is way below market, he could easily get more. So I would hop on it right away. Be wary of sending cash and deposits and checks, etc. When something sounds too good........ Can't believe it didn't sell almost instantly.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Again, that price is way below market, he could easily get more. So I would hop on it right away. Be wary of sending cash and deposits and checks, etc. When something sounds too good........ Can't believe it didn't sell almost instantly.
Kinda like online dating. Bahaha

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How does a 2020 even get that dirty? I don't think mine would be that dirty even if I left it outside for a year. Even the cockpit divider is dirty.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, I'm not sending anything. I'll take my payment with me when I get a chance to go look at/test it out, which I'm hoping to be able to do tomorrow.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does a 2020 even get that dirty? I don't think mine would be that dirty even if I left it outside for a year. Even the cockpit divider is dirty.
Someone who didn't spring for a cover or use one probably.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That 2020 doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings. If too lazy to even clean it to sell it how do you think it was cared for the rest of the time? I would buy the 2015 if I only had to pick between those 2. May be older, but obviously well cared for.
Both of these boats will be saltwater, I would ask lots of questions regarding how the motors were rinsed after each use. Ask them to show you the process, play dumb. If they just hook the hose up and let the water run, you run as well.

Also Merry Hill is out in the middle of nowhere. I would try to meet them at a public place, if that even exists out there. Maybe boat ramp at least, but on a weekday even that will be deserted. Bertie County is one of the poorest in the state of NC. Someone with $36K in their pocket will be a target. I doubt your cell will work out there and no one to hear you scream. Like someone above said be vigilant.

tch324

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That 2020 doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings. If too lazy to even clean it to sell it how do you think it was cared for the rest of the time? I would buy the 2015 if I only had to pick between those 2. May be older, but obviously well cared for.
Both of these boats will be saltwater, I would ask lots of questions regarding how the motors were rinsed after each use. Ask them to show you the process, play dumb. If they just hook the hose up and let the water run, you run as well.

Also Merry Hill is out in the middle of nowhere. I would try to meet them at a public place, if that even exists out there. Maybe boat ramp at least, but on a weekday even that will be deserted. Bertie County is one of the poorest in the state of NC. Someone with $36K in their pocket will be a target. I doubt your cell will work out there and no one to hear you scream. Like someone above said be vigilant.
Well, that's terrifying. LOL. Thanks for the heads up on the area. Sounds like I may need to listen to that strange feeling in the bottom of my stomach on that one.

The guy with the 2015 has been much more responsive and receptive to my questions/requests anyway. He gave me the HIN so I can run a boat history report on it... came back clean, but I do have a question. Is it common to register a boat in multiple states at once? I'm just going to copy/paste that portion of the report and hope that you guys can help me make some sense of it (I apologize in advance if this makes the whole thread go on forever or if the formatting doesn't come across right):

State Data
Boat History Report® works with every state’s Department of Motor Vehicles and Department of Natural Resources to collect additional boat details. The information shown below was gathered and represents details in addition to the information that has been displayed throughout other sections of your report.

State: Ohio
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel Type-
Hull Material-
Propulsion-
Vessel Type-
Registration-
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
Use-
Owner TypeIndividual
Previous StateOhio
Purchase dateMay 1, 2015
Reg date
Expiration date
Transaction date
Title dateMay 4, 2015
Registration Date Initial
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel Type-
Hull MaterialFiberglass/Plastic
PropulsionJet
Vessel TypeOpen Motorboat
RegistrationOH6755FL
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Previous State-
Purchase date
Reg dateMay 8, 2015
Expiration dateMar 1, 2018
Transaction date
Title date
State: North Carolina
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionOther
Vessel TypeOther
RegistrationNC1851ED
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner TypeIndividual
Previous State-
Purchase date
Reg dateApr 22, 2016
Expiration dateApr 30, 2017
Transaction date
Title date
State: Florida
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionOther
RegistrationFL0784RC
USCG Doc Number-
Length20'11"
UseOther
Owner TypeBusiness
Previous StateOhio
Purchase date
Reg date
Expiration dateJun 30, 2016
Transaction dateApr 5, 2016
Title dateApr 5, 2016
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionOther
Vessel TypeOther
RegistrationNC1851ED
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner TypeIndividual
Previous State-
Purchase date
Reg dateApr 22, 2016
Transaction date
Title date
State: Florida
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionOther
RegistrationFL0784RC
USCG Doc Number-
Length20'11"
UseOther
Owner TypeBusiness
Previous StateOhio
Purchase dateMar 8, 2016
Reg dateMar 8, 2016
Expiration dateJun 30, 2016
Transaction dateApr 5, 2016
Title dateApr 5, 2016
Registration Date InitialApr 5, 2016
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionOther
Vessel TypeOther
RegistrationNC1851ED
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner TypeIndividual
Previous State-
Purchase date
Reg dateApr 22, 2016
Transaction date
Title date
State: Virginia
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionInboard
RegistrationVA2367CB
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Previous StateNorth Carolina
Purchase dateJun 20, 2016
Reg dateSep 28, 2016
Expiration dateSep 30, 2019
Transaction date
Title date
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel Type-
Hull Material-
Propulsion-
Vessel Type-
Registration-
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
Use-
Owner TypeIndividual
Previous StateOhio
Purchase dateMay 1, 2015
Reg date
Expiration date
Transaction date
Title dateMay 4, 2015
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionInboard
RegistrationVA2367CB
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Reg dateSep 28, 2016
Transaction date
Title date
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionInboard
RegistrationVA2367CB
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Reg dateSep 28, 2016
Transaction date
Title date
HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionInboard
RegistrationVA2367CB
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Reg dateSep 9, 2019
Expiration dateSep 30, 2022
Transaction date
Title date

HINYAMC0183J415
Fuel TypeGas
PropulsionInboard
RegistrationVA2367CB
USCG Doc Number-
Length21'3"
UsePleasure
Owner Type-
Reg dateSep 9, 2019
Expiration dateSep 30, 2022
Transaction date
Title date

Says he's uses it almost exclusively in the Intercoastal, which is saltwater, right?... had it out in the ocean once. Comes with all the coast guard required safety equipment, docking lines, and 2 bumpers. Selling it because he's building a house. Says he bought it with 20 hours on it and the rest is all him. He's done all the maintenance on it himself (currently has Amsoil Marine synthetic oil in it), always flushed, washed, and covered after use.

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy the 2020 after riding in it. Have it cleaned and 100 GR service at a Yamaha dealership and then be on your way. Get the warranty in your name.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn't sweat that HIN tracking. Looks like was in OH when new, went to FL in March 2016 probably dealer, then sold to customer in NC in April 2016, then transferred to VA later in 2016. Maybe owner moved from NC to VA in Fall of 2016? Maybe they are actually 3rd owner? As long as owner has title to boat and trailer in his name you are good and you get it all notarized then you are good.

Intercoastal = saltwater. Some people freak out about this. As long as it has been flushed properly and often should be fine.

Not trying to scare you off to coming to Eastern NC, if owner gets back to you and boat checks out and just dirty that's easy to fix. Just letting you know Bertie County ain't Delaware, but they do grow some of the best peanuts in the world.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was me, I would get the 2020 with the YES Warranty which is transferable. As long as it checks out and is safe. Also your resale will be much higher if you choose to sell or upgrade. Lose an engine and you are going to 7-10k. The warranty helps in that scenario alot.