• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose Transom Straps

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a trick to keeping the transom straps tight while on the trailer? Every time I tow the boat I start with the straps tight, pull over to check them after 3-5 mins, retighten, and continue on my way. By the time I get to where I'm going (have not towed more than 50 mi yet) they're loose again. They're not so loose that the boat is at risk of coming off the trailer, but it could definitely bounce up onto one of the lifting strakes, which does not look like it will be good for the hull.

I'm trailering the boat to our lake house in NC (600 mi each way) for the first time, next month and I'd like to not have to stop constantly to tighten everything back up. I replaced the the factory straps with the SS BoatBuckles, thinking they were the problem, to no avail. It's much easier to adjust now but still a pain to stop. Perhaps it's a procedural issue I'm having? I have the bow eye snugged up against the (stoltz) bow roller, and the boat is always centered on the bunks. This is the first boat I've trailered so it's possible this is just part of the game.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is part of the game and not.

When you tighten the buckles, go up and do the winch again. Then to the buckles and back and forth a few times. You will probably scoot the boat up.

Even when against the bow stop the boat can go more and get a little lift against the stop.

Even doing that I always stop after a bit and re tighten everything.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had the same experience today, I cranked the boat to the bow stop, cranked the transom straps tight. I drove 10 minutes, checked them, they were loose, I never checked after that. I have a ratchet type welded to the trailer, not sure how they loosen like that.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
U
I had the same experience today, I cranked the boat to the bow stop, cranked the transom straps tight. I drove 10 minutes, checked them, they were loose, I never checked after that. I have a ratchet type welded to the trailer, not sure how they loosen like that.
Have a newer trailer than I did... a shore lander? Mine was an mfi!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a trick to keeping the transom straps tight while on the trailer? Every time I tow the boat I start with the straps tight, pull over to check them after 3-5 mins, retighten, and continue on my way. By the time I get to where I'm going (have not towed more than 50 mi yet) they're loose again. They're not so loose that the boat is at risk of coming off the trailer, but it could definitely bounce up onto one of the lifting strakes, which does not look like it will be good for the hull.

I'm trailering the boat to our lake house in NC (600 mi each way) for the first time, next month and I'd like to not have to stop constantly to tighten everything back up. I replaced the the factory straps with the SS BoatBuckles, thinking they were the problem, to no avail. It's much easier to adjust now but still a pain to stop. Perhaps it's a procedural issue I'm having? I have the bow eye snugged up against the (stoltz) bow roller, and the boat is always centered on the bunks. This is the first boat I've trailered so it's possible this is just part of the game.
I was taught to do a short 5-10mph stop/hard breaking after the boat is loaded up on the trailer to push everything snug up the bow stop, then tighten the tie downs, no need to over-tighten.
There is some flex on those trailers and that's the only way I know of that works 100%.
I have been doing this for a long time. My tie downs do not get loose (my last tow was 1,500miles from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Louis). Some will say that is not great for your bunks, I tend to be more concerned with a boat bouncing.

--

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my MFI I used to have the same problem, every time I trailered the boat. After I installed my trim tabs, being so close to the transom straps, I wanted the boat to sit on the trailer in the same spot every time. I did not weld, but I did thru bolt the bow stop to the trailer. This did stop the forward/aft movement of the bow stop on my trailer and now when I crank the boat to it, it stays and the transom straps do not become loose because the boat moved forward against the loose bow stop.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome tips/suggestions all! I'll look at the bow stop today & see about running a bolt through it to lock it into place & I'll also try the hard brake & alternating bow/transom crank methods. Thanks!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always done the brake test after reloading. Slam on the brakes at 5-10mph and the boat slides up tight to the bow stop. Then get out and tighten the straps again. All is good.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
EDIT- Apparently I can't read and am recommending something you already have. My bad.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The hard stop from 5-10 mph was standard routine on my old MFI. I haven't noticed the boat moving about (loose transom straps) on the Shorlandr...But once I do I'll start the hard stop again.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was taught to do a short 5-10mph stop/hard breaking after the boat is loaded up on the trailer to push everything snug up the bow stop, then tighten the tie downs, no need to over-tighten.
There is some flex on those trailers and that's the only way I know of that works 100%.
I have been doing this for a long time. My tie downs do not get loose (my last tow was 1,500miles from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Louis). Some will say that is not great for your bunks, I tend to be more concerned with a boat bouncing.

--
Brake check = problem solved! Thanks @swatski

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
5-10mph sounds like a lot. I usually put the truck in gear, let it roll a couple of feet and hit the breaks. Never more than a crawl. That always sets the boat just fine. But that is just me.