• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loss of Power-2023 AR220

nucmedjthom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are new to jet boats so forgive me if this is a dumb question. We got our AR220 in November and have only been able to take it out twice so far. Cruising at about 7000 RPMs we can be around 32-34MPH and when my husband backs off the throttle just a little the RPMs drop to 6000 RPMs but the speed drops to 12-13 MPH. Can’t seem to get that sweet spot in the 20’s where we would want to be pulling someone out of the water. It’s too cold here to even get in the water yet but are we missing something? Is this normal? Seems like a big jump and there doesn’t seem to be an in between.

Interesting according to a German engineer named Rudy who owned a marine repair shop and allowed me to work there for free so I could learn all about boats and engines etc . He said hulls have a thing called hull speed and it is a speed the hull likes to cruise at and if you stay at that speed you will get the best fuel economy also. That new hull is a bit different from the previous years so possibly 32 to 34 is it's hull speed and it likes to cruise at that speed .

I’ve got a 23 AR220 and have had it out twice this past weekend. It fact it is no now due for its first oil service. The connext system reminded me many times while we were out today once I hit the 10 hour mark.

Today we were cruising for extended periods of time right at 23-25mph @ 6,800ish rpm’s around the upper Chesapeake Bay. We did some tubing and knee boarding as well right in the 15-22mph range as well with no issues. Also used the Cruise Assist function quite a bit when pulling my daughters on the knee board to get that perfect 18-20mph speed they wanted. After we were done we headed back south at WOT running between 36-38mph @7,700ish rpm’s.

I have not experienced any of these large drop off of speed that your describing.

One I did do was take my throttle’s apart and adjust the lever tension inside the housing so the handles wouldn’t gradually drop down. Otherwise the boat has been as advertised.

We are new to jet boats so forgive me if this is a dumb question. We got our AR220 in November and have only been able to take it out twice so far. Cruising at about 7000 RPMs we can be around 32-34MPH and when my husband backs off the throttle just a little the RPMs drop to 6000 RPMs but the speed drops to 12-13 MPH. Can’t seem to get that sweet spot in the 20’s where we would want to be pulling someone out of the water. It’s too cold here to even get in the water yet but are we missing something? Is this normal? Seems like a big jump and there doesn’t seem to be an in between.

That is about right. You will get used to it. May need to adjust your throttles, but speed and RPMS work on big curve on jet boats. Most of your speed, will happen between 6300 and 7500 RPMS. Just a bit a throttle will bring your speed up and down significantly.

I’ve got a 23 AR220 and have had it out twice this past weekend. It fact it is no now due for its first oil service. The connext system reminded me many times while we were out today once I hit the 10 hour mark.

Today we were cruising for extended periods of time right at 23-25mph @ 6,800ish rpm’s around the upper Chesapeake Bay. We did some tubing and knee boarding as well right in the 15-22mph range as well with no issues. Also used the Cruise Assist function quite a bit when pulling my daughters on the knee board to get that perfect 18-20mph speed they wanted. After we were done we headed back south at WOT running between 36-38mph @7,700ish rpm’s.

I have not experienced any of these large drop off of speed that your describing.

One I did do was take my throttle’s apart and adjust the lever tension inside the housing so the handles wouldn’t gradually drop down. Otherwise the boat has been as advertised.
Sounds like we may need to adjust the lever tension as well. He says the throttles feel loose and move from the slightest bumps.

Sounds like we may need to adjust the lever tension as well. He says the throttles feel loose and move from the slightest bumps.
Here’s a great video on how to correct the tension issue. Took me about 20 minutes or so.

Do both. If your throttles are dropping without your hands on them it’s a simple friction adjuster fix. Then immediately do the throttle drop fix once you get that sorted out.

Then go straight to this because I’ll bet your shop didn’t do this either.

The throttles are pretty sensitive, I find myself kind of twisting my wrist back and forth holding the dual levers to adjust one or the other a little bit at a time to avoid making too large of an adjustment if I am trying to control speed smoothly. Also, speed at a certain rpm level can vary a lot based on water conditions, wind direction, weight or people on the boat, etc. On smooth water it’s a lot easier to go faster, and control speed, choppy water all bets are off.

Back