• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lots of Water from Drain Plug - 2021 212

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Where is this hatch located that you are referring to?
It's the screwed down cover over the exhaust water boxes and cleanout ports. Not sure if the older models had one, but mine has this screwed down cover, plus a rubber gasket sealed pop out cover to get in there - the pop out pulls out by hand and is an oval about 8x15 inches. Once I sealed around the screw down cover, I've had no water get in the boat - she's dry now.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay. Mine is different. It’s not screwed down but has a beefy tight gasket around it. Seems bone dry when I check it.

throttlebc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Today was much better than the first time out. The cleanout tubes were full of water so I know water is getting up on the deck, but only 1/2 gallon or so came out of the drain plug after a full day of starts and stops while tubing. I tested the bilge pump a few times and it runs but nothing came out. I'm satisfied this is resolved. Thanks for the guidance!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

throttlebc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length

MN33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just got a 212S this week, and after a couple times out we have now noticed that the carpet in the under-seat storage areas are damp/wet. Could water getting in from this platform hatch cause enough water to get in there?

We have just cruised around, some no-wake zones, and then beach it; no watersports yet. We have little kids on the lily-pad off the back, so there's plenty of in and out... but seems weird that all of these areas are getting that wet.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We just got a 212S this week, and after a couple times out we have now noticed that the carpet in the under-seat storage areas are damp/wet. Could water getting in from this platform hatch cause enough water to get in there?

We have just cruised around, some no-wake zones, and then beach it; no watersports yet. We have little kids on the lily-pad off the back, so there's plenty of in and out... but seems weird that all of these areas are getting that wet.
This is from the anchor locker drain hole. Water gets in through that hole and back to the carpet under the seats. Get a plug for that hole and the carpets will be dry.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is from the anchor locker drain hole. Water gets in through that hole and back to the carpet under the seats. Get a plug for that hole and the carpets will be dry.
Are you thinking the water somehow gets in between the double hull from the the hole in the anchor locker itself?
Other than that, there isn't another opening in the anchor locker, so I would think the water would just drain back out, with a little left sitting in the locker.
The front cupholders also drain right into the storage as well. I thought that was why my carpet was wet.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you thinking the water somehow gets in between the double hull from the the hole in the anchor locker itself?
Other than that, there isn't another opening in the anchor locker, so I would think the water would just drain back out, with a little left sitting in the locker.
The front cupholders also drain right into the storage as well. I thought that was why my carpet was wet.
That's a dang good question - the anchor locker should be a cell within itself. I'm not aware of any drain to the back from the locker, hence the hole in the bow of the boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is between the outer hole and inner hole between the layers in the anchor locker. If there is a gap the water will seep through.

yes you are correct and other members have indicated that is has occured.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It is between the outer hole and inner hole between the layers in the anchor locker. If there is a gap the water will seep through.

Definitely true on the older boats, but when I put a camera in the hole on our boat there was no visible gap that water would seemingly go through.
I've only seen water in the front storage once and I figured they was from the cup holders. I'll have to take a closer look.
We probably highjacked this thread because I think the original reply was more about the back of the boat storage, but I could be wrong.

MN33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting very wet carpets under every seat, from the from to the back. Not just damp, it is wet. That just seems like a lot of water that could get in from the front anchor locker, but I can look at that. Or originally I was wondering if that back storage could be the source of the water?

throttlebc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I'm getting very wet carpets under every seat, from the from to the back. Not just damp, it is wet. That just seems like a lot of water that could get in from the front anchor locker, but I can look at that. Or originally I was wondering if that back storage could be the source of the water?
Yeah, this sounds like a different issue than what I was seeing. In my case, water was getting in through the 2nd tier on the back deck around the panel with the clean out tubes, causing more water to come out of the drain plug. I've not seen any indication of water on the carpets under the seats. Can you correlate the wet under-seat areas with where kids may be sitting more frequently? Unless it's coming in at the seam where the upper and lower molds were joined, I can't see how water would get in other than through the seats cushions.

You might be able to test the seams and gaps by putting a bright light inside the storage area that is getting wet at night and seeing where light is escaping.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The only time carpets get wet in my boat is if wet items are put away, or very cold drinks are left in the cupholders which just drip into the boat. Some day I plan to pull the cupholders and seal them with silicone. I'd rather have a bit of water in the holder than dripping into the battery and electronics areas. I stole this idea from @Hoyt by the way.
:winkingthumbsup"

MN33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I took this advice and put some sealant in that hole from the anchor locker to the bow, and it appears that the carpets are no longer getting wet when we go out (took them a while to dry out!). Thanks for the great advice!

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I took this advice and put some sealant in that hole from the anchor locker to the bow, and it appears that the carpets are no longer getting wet when we go out (took them a while to dry out!). Thanks for the great advice!
Interesting that fixed your issue. I just noticed some wet carpet in the front storage sections... I'm gonna seal it up and see if that fixes it. What did you use to seal it?

MN33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting that fixed your issue. I just noticed some wet carpet in the front storage sections... I'm gonna seal it up and see if that fixes it. What did you use to seal it?
I got this from Menards. Hardly used any, wish there was a smaller tube... but its really messy, took paint thinner to get off. Did the job!

Attachments

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
OK, I pulled the rear panel and sure enough, there was only a very thin bead of silicon and there were places were there was none. I cleaned up the old stuff and put a thick bead all around and was sure to include the screw holes and a thin layer on the inside of the clean out tubes. I also sealed the screw-in part of the quick access panel. While I was there I vacuumed out the rest of the dust and metal from the drain area and verified the bilge pump works fine. I didn't check the anchor locker drain, but I will when we have it out on the water tomorrow. Fingers crossed this solves the issue!
And these boats are made in America....

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The only time carpets get wet in my boat is if wet items are put away, or very cold drinks are left in the cupholders which just drip into the boat. Some day I plan to pull the cupholders and seal them with silicone. I'd rather have a bit of water in the holder than dripping into the battery and electronics areas. I stole this idea from @Hoyt by the way.
:winkingthumbsup"
Did you notice the drivers cupholder has a drain hose? I'm wondering if all the cupholders have them too? Funny, the way they routed the drain hose for the cupholder, its completely kinked, it will never drain. I love my boat but their QC sucks big time (2021 212SE)

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did you notice the drivers cupholder has a drain hose? I'm wondering if all the cupholders have them too? Funny, the way they routed the drain hose for the cupholder, its completely kinked, it will never drain. I love my boat but their QC sucks big time (2021 212SE)
Mine wasn't kinked, but it just goes around the corner to the side of the hull and dumps the water droplets there to evaporate, likely to keep any electronics behind the helm dry. None of the others have tubes. The two lower holders on the swim platform have built-in self draining lines since they often get water splashed in them while driving. Check out the little white outlets on the bottom of the holders.

I plan to remove the holders and seal them with silicone so no drips inside the boat - I want to keep it bone dry in there.