• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Low Oil Pressure

JDFester

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple of weeks ago while pulling a couple of kids on the tube, I got a low oil pressure alarm and speed limiter kicked in. Stopped and checked the oil; it was low. (My fault, I had gotten complacent and hadn't checked it as often as I should...). Added oil to middle of range on dipstick, started and tried again. Same thing after running about a minute at speed with the tube. Pulled in the tube, rechecked oil (no change, still middle of crosshatch on dipstick). Close to ramp, so rode back at low speed and called it a day.

We had not really wintered this year, so I had not done my usual annual oil change, so I did that yesterday morning. Got oil as close as I could on the trailer, but then ran, stopped and let it sit a couple min in water, and rechecked; added oil up to center of crosshatch region, started, and tried to take off. Almost immediate low oil pressure alarm. Check oil again, where it should be. Start again, and try accelerating more slowly. (i.e. ~1000 RPM steps, and run at that speed a min or so then bump up another 1000. This seemed to work things out, as I was up and running full speed like always, able to start, stop, everything like normal. Run up and down the lake for an hour, then head over to a park and dock for a couple hours. When leaving the park, we idle out of the long no wake zone, then try to accelerate, and almost immediate Low Oil Pressure alarm. Start trying the slow increases again, and notice that when I would bump up, it would drop a couple hundred RPM (i.e. I go to 4K, and after a couple of seconds, it drops to 3800 and stays there). Get to 5K, low oil pressure alarm. Did this twice, then idled the rest of the way back to ramp and pulled boat.

Can anyone give me other ideas of what I should check next? Thank you!

Just guessing but you may have a bad sensor or a bad wire connection or a bad filter but doubtful on the filter. When I change my oil on my 1800 engines I have a way to get 4 quarts out and I use a bigger oil filter Fram TG-3600 so it holds 1/2 quart , when I measure it I am at 4.5 quarts of oil , I am also using synthetic oil so I only do changes every 100 hours and it looks like it did when it was new.
Try cleaning the wire connections and the engine ground wire where it bolts to the block, sounds more like a malfunction of the sensor than low oil .

Thank you! I will try to hunt for a electrical fault, and wondered if it could be a sensor, but since the issue seems to be tied to engine speed wonder if there are small passages that might get clogged, and if so, if there is a way to clean them.

When I change my oil on my 1800 engines I have a way to get 4 quarts out
I would love to know more about this method! When checking the oil yesterday, the oil did seem to be darker than I recall from previous oil changes, making me wonder if the old oil had gotten burned/degraded from getting too low, or if there may be some some sludge buildup, etc. Seems like a flexible tray that would funnel through a drain plug hole, allowing an actual drain, should be a thing!

Thank you! I will try to hunt for a electrical fault, and wondered if it could be a sensor, but since the issue seems to be tied to engine speed wonder if there are small passages that might get clogged, and if so, if there is a way to clean them.

I would love to know more about this method! When checking the oil yesterday, the oil did seem to be darker than I recall from previous oil changes, making me wonder if the old oil had gotten burned/degraded from getting too low, or if there may be some some sludge buildup, etc. Seems like a flexible tray that would funnel through a drain plug hole, allowing an actual drain, should be a thing!
Being an intermittent issue and no obvious cause to confirm the warning is accurate I suspect it is a sensor or a bad connection or a dirty fuse connection I would clean every wire connection And spray them with silicon spray Especially if you hose down your engine bay I was told to do that many years ago and I had lots of electrical issues so I decided to spray down the entire engine and all the wiring connections with white lithium grease and I put dielectric grease on the spark plug boots plus I add never seize to the plugs and gear lube to the intermediate bearing housing all before it hits the water for the very first time I am now also using synthetic oil and the oil filters I motioned as these are larger and very strong with walls most filters are thin walled I have seen several thin walled filters rust and leak at the crimp . Since doing these things I have had no issues so far , Also I am only in salt water and over 100 hours per year use. I keep all my new ideas close to my chest so I can not share the oil trick just like them intake grate trick.

Back