• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 ( L13 ) Anti-Cavitation Cone Install / 2016 AR240

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome.

I've loaded my shopping cart with 2 cones and grease. I'm just a little hesitant to pull the trigger. It's hard enough to explain what cavitation is to the wife, much less that I "need" to spend $600 to fix something she doesn't know exists.
FWIW (a re-post), could still work for ya:

"Huh! You see, I've learned over the years that sometimes replacing the word "discretionary" with "safety" (or better yet: "kids' safety") - can change the entire discussion (as far as wife's approval is concerned).

Unfortunately, my wife does not longer fall for it.
After I managed to convince her that the Maptuner X is a safety device for kids. She became suspicious and started doing her own research. Bummer."

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FWIW (a re-post), could still work for ya:

"Huh! You see, I've learned over the years that sometimes replacing the word "discretionary" with "safety" (or better yet: "kids' safety") - can change the entire discussion (as far as wife's approval is concerned).

Unfortunately, my wife does not longer fall for it.
After I managed to convince her that the Maptuner X is a safety device for kids. She became suspicious and started doing her own research. Bummer."

--
Funny, I agree it works for a while. That is how I got OUR Lectrotab trim tabs and Mega fangs. Now when I source "safety devices" and try to explain why WE need them, she looks at me across the top of her readers and says "really, what enhancement now?!" I think that well has dried up here. Kidding aside, a few examples. A new HU may not fall under the "safety" category, where a VHF will. Seadek? Safety sure but trim tabs are a better arguement. A new wake board or tube, not so much safety unless they have sharp edges. Lucky 13's can be a "safety" device if they prevent imminent cavitation and increase performance. I know not much of a safety argument there, but better to run your boat with hands on the wheel than sticking your hands down the clean out ports to clear what's causing cavitation. You never know what your gonna find down there. Use the safety arguement, it could save your fingers harm.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wonder if I could come up with a "safety" argument for a 5 channel amplifier.

......Maybe less risk of electric shock.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if I could come up with a "safety" argument for a 5 channel amplifier.

......Maybe less risk of electric shock.
Good luck with that. I did not even try the safety approach when I bought/installed a Kenwood amp last spring. Although you might say it's "better" for your hearing, don't have to strain/damage your ears to enjoy the music while floating off the back of the boat enjoying your favorite beverage.;)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm trying the common sense approach....

I need 10 channels for our sound system and for some stupid reason Yamaha only provided 9.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pump cones are on the way! As well as Riva rings. Now I just need to decide on filters and I'll be set.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's not my birthday, but it sure feels like it!
20180302_091901.jpg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So I have been doing some tuning and getting very close to where I think I want to be! I am very happy with one (gold) spacer on the strbd L13 - works perfect. The Port will need all 3, maybe even 4 - in my case, after reflash.

But that 's the great thing about the L13 - so handy when tuning a twin - just add spacer! - may not even need to repitch. Which would be great - I'm runign with stock OEM impellers, unmolested!
With where you got to so far on testing your setup on the L13 cones (1 spacer strbd & 3-4 port), were you running with any ballast at all or just normal weight in the boat? Just trying to figure out where to start on my install, hoping I could cheat a little using someone else's expertise to cut down on my tuning time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With where you got to so far on testing your setup on the L13 cones (1 spacer strbd & 3-4 port), were you running with any ballast at all or just normal weight in the boat? Just trying to figure out where to start on my install, hoping I could cheat a little using someone else's expertise to cut down on my tuning time.
So - for the most recent update - currently I'm running with all three spacers (10mm?) on the port side, no spacers on the strbd side. My WOT RPMs are almost completely matched, about 7,700-7,800 on either side. I think I'll stay with this, seems to be about perfect. No ballast, today on the river with 5 on board running 50-51mph as long as I wanted. It was a cool day though.

Previously, with a full set of 3 spacers on the strbd side it was always lower by 100-150 RPM or so, as compared to port. They used to pitch PORT impellers more aggressively than STRBD to equalize RPM (due to better pump loading on the STRBD side) but stopped doing it int he new "keeled" boats.

With a little bit of wiggling-around, the cones can be pulled out (and spacers adjusted) without pulling the pumps.

--

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Do these cones have any impact on fuel economy? Anyone tried them on a 210?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do these cones have any impact on fuel economy? Anyone tried them on a 210?
There is no doubt in my mind the L13s make the pumps more efficient. But I don't know if their effects on fuel consumption have actually been tested.

Once the boat is moving - pumps' loading is very efficient and would not be rate limiting so I would think that during a lake cruise over smooth water the effects would be negligible.

On the other hand - jet pump loading when riding in rough water is a different story. I would bet the L13s help there - with economy, and overall but providing good metrics would not be trivial.

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The base of the L13 is tapered and it is important to install it with the small engraved letter "T" towards the top (which will center the cone inside the venturi):
@swatski

So.... I'm installing my cones today but neither one of my bases have a "T" marked on them. Which way should the taper go?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think I got it.

Thin part of base on top centers the tip of the cone in the nozzle.

I can't wait to try these.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I so want these but wife is also on to the safety item thing. Given my recent anchor, mega fangs, ballast, board racks, portable oscilloscope, planetary gear metal case rechargeable precision screwdriver, fixed vhf radio equipment, and yes a bunch of other stuff I think I am sunk on boat related purchases until next year. Well not sunk yet but If I buy anymore I will end up with an anchor tied to my ankles.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I got it.

Thin part of base on top centers the tip of the cone in the nozzle.

I can't wait to try these.
Oh, you are going to love it. The hole shot is amazing with those. Also - just for fun - try riding with one engine only (the other idling so it does not get swamped) - what a difference from stock.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I so want these but wife is also on to the safety item thing. Given my recent anchor, mega fangs, ballast, board racks, portable oscilloscope, planetary gear metal case rechargeable precision screwdriver, fixed vhf radio equipment, and yes a bunch of other stuff I think I am sunk on boat related purchases until next year. Well not sunk yet but If I buy anymore I will end up with an anchor tied to my ankles.
Efficient pump loading is an essential safety feature, these boats steer and break by thrust!
Cavitation can be very dangerous, especially around young children.
Just saying.

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh, you are going to love it. The hole shot is amazing with those. Also - just for fun - try riding with one engine only (the other idling so it does not get swamped) - what a difference from stock.

--
Looking at the 10 day forecast it's supposed to be raining everyday that in available to go in the near future. Hopefully the weatherman is as wrong as he normally is.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Finally got out to the water this afternoon to try the L13 cones for the first time.

All 3 washers port & 1 gold washer strbd
Roughly 65 degrees today
7850-7900 rpms consistently on both engines
48mph upstream (wife didn't want to run WOT on our return trip downstream)
9 people on board (3 adults, 4 almost adults, and 2 almost teen children)
Normal amount of gear onboard (Yeti packed full of drinks, snacks, and a gazillion towels, etc....)
No bimini fabric on

I still felt I had quite a bit of cavitation though with quick acceleration off idle. With slow to medium acceleration, almost no cavitation, but who likes slow acceleration. So I guess on my next trip out this week, I leave everyone else at home and experiment. I think I'll try 3 washers port and 2 strbd, then 3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 4-2 and figure out which combo works best for me.

Besides the cavitation, I'm happy so far. Between the cones and Riva rings I picked up about 300-350 rpms and 3-4mph. I think with some tweaking it'll even do a little better.

Thanks for helping me spend my money guys.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
7850-7900 rpms consistently on both engines
48mph upstream (wife didn't want to run WOT on our return trip downstream)
9 people on board (3 adults, 4 almost adults, and 2 almost teen children)
Normal amount of gear onboard (Yeti packed full of drinks, snacks, and a gazillion towels, etc....)
Between the cones and Riva rings I picked up about 300-350 rpms and 3-4mph.
That is really great!

Makes me wonder about the hole shot cavitation... Playing with the washers is definitely a good idea. But I would maybe also double check the tunnels' sealing - if it's all intact, some gaps around transom plates and wear rings can be hard to spot.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My cone was on backorder, but tracking info says it's due to be delivered today. Can't wait to try it out.

Had the boat out on the water yesterday. The cavitation under turning is still REALLY bad. I'm thinking something else is wrong as well though. Only getting 7550 RPM at WOT with two adults and one 6yr old. Ambient temps were around 65deg and water was down in the 50's. I'm not at "high" altitude with the lake only being at 535ft above sea level.

Incremental tests are going to start with the L13 cone installation. Then I'll pull the "ribbon" (why do we call it that, it's the spark arrestor) and see where that gets me.