• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LX210 Ignition Problem

oconnellm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I've had several problems with the ignition on my Yamaha LX210. The stbd engine was producing no spark while turning over with sparkplugs out and grounded. I initially found corrosion on and cleaned some of the connectors. After doing a continuity check on the ignition switch, I found readings from the red to yellow leads were intermittent in the "ON" position but I was able to get the engine to start. However, the engine would not stop when the ignition was turned off and the only way to stop the engine was to pull the lanyard stop switch. I found that the black to white leads on the ignition switch were also open. I installed a new switch and the engine would then start without problems but still would only stop by pulling the lanyard. I checked the leads going from the lanyard switch to the ignition and had continuity.

I had similar problems on the port engine with the ignition switch being open in all positions. I replaced the port engine switch with the good (stbd) one and had the same results as on the stbd side. The port engine would start but would not stop when the key was turned "OFF" and could only be stopped using the lanyard stop switch. I double checked the ignition switch using a meter and had continuity on black to white in "OFF", red to yellow in "ON", and red to brown in "START" positions.

My question is "Does anyone have access to a good electrical drawing for the LX210"? The one in the service manual is quite lacking. It shows the "hot" yellow lead from the stbd ignition switch going to the stbd tachometer only. (My stbd tachometer is not installed and therefore the lead is not connected, but the engine still runs.) For the port ignition switch, the yellow lead goes to the port tachometer, the fuel gage, and the oil warning light.

It doesn’t appear that the “ON” signal on the yellow leads from the ignition switches “controls” anything. Also, it seems that without the feedback signals going into the CDI/Ignition boxes on the black and white leads or the white and brown leads, there is no way to stop the engines.

If anyone has electrical drawings for the LX210 or the CDI/Ignition boxes, where they may be available, or any information on the operation of the ignition circuits, the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry - cant be of any help here. You sound like an electrical engineer so I am sure you are covering all bases but include in your troubleshooting the cleanout tray safety switches.