• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maple sap/syrup thread

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't look like the weather heading your way is in your favor for walking around in the woods.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As far a Vermont Winter days go, You can't get much better than this. The trees were aglaze from the recent storm, the temps in the 30's, no wind and we finally see the sun. I did not even mind "potholing" with the snow shoes. The cell phone camera dosen't do it justice.

20210204_120154.jpg

20210204_114724.jpg

Crossing on a beaver dam.

20210204_123318.jpg

20210204_121949.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One heck of a sap run in the last 24 hours. After a freeze up the night before last, which we needed after a week of 60-70° temps. I started the vacuum pump yesterday morning at 10am, with empty tanks. Last evening we shipped out 4400gallons around 6pm. This morning at 7:30am there was 4100 gallons collected in the tanks. And more down at the pump station. Here is a short video of sap coming into the sap releaser. It accumulates there until it reaches a certain level and the pump within transfers it into the 1000 gallon tank with a float switch set to kick on at the 800 gallon level and pump sap with the pump you hear running, louder than my AR230, to the 4000 gallon tanks 900 feet away.

A quick look into the pump station during run.

It will freeze up again tonight and we are in a Winter Storm Warning for tomorrow. We need a couple of more weeks of this. The season started late this year and it warmed up too quickly.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is not at all what I pictured sap to look like. How much additional goes in to turning that into syrup? I.e. does the raw sap taste good, or is all the taste from the manufacturing of it?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is not at all what I pictured sap to look like. How much additional goes in to turning that into syrup? I.e. does the raw sap taste good, or is all the taste from the manufacturing of it?
Raw sap at 2% sugar content...It takes 42 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of pure maple syrup. Raw sap tastes like sweet water, part of the reason we named our boat "Sweet Waters" and added maple leaf graphics.The processing is only boiling the sap and evaporating the water, leaving the consentrate we know as maple syrup.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Raw sap at 2% sugar content...It takes 42 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of pure maple syrup. Raw sap tastes like sweet water, part of the reason we named our boat "Sweet Waters" and added maple leaf graphics.The processing is only boiling the sap and evaporating the water, leaving the consentrate we know as maple syrup.
That's so damn cool!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I found a couple of bad taps in dead trees yesterday. I could hear the leaks and was able to pull the taps out of the trees by hand and plug them. My vacuum with the whole sugarbush on and no frozen sections went up to the highest I have ever had it in 5 years. Persistance pays off. I have a pretty tight system this year, no thanks to the deer and squirrels.

I know you guys are tired of my vacuum guage pictures but I am pretty stoked, so here is the last one for this season.

20210403_153953.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another season has come and gone. The Maple Mountain Man ghillie suit has been put away for the 2022 boating season.

20220502_073437.jpg

20220502_073953.jpg

20220502_073753.jpg

Sheep Shears are an amazing thing. lol

Attachments

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love Maple Syrup. I make a whiskey sour with 2 parts whiskey of your choice...I prefer Rye for this, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part maple syrup. A little cinnamon optional in the winter. My grown kids would rather have Ms. Buttersworth but my oldest is coming around.