• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mercedes GLE350 4matic towing abilities...

Agent Boost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

In the process of setting up for my first boat purchase and will be getting a 21' Yamaha AR210.

From my research, the boat weighs in at 3,228 dry. Add in another 300 for fuel. Add in another 100lbs of nonsense and im coming up with around 3,628 fully loaded.

the trailer should weigh in at around 1,000lbs. Total tow weight of 4,628.

We have a 2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic (AWD). The Merc website lists towing abilities at 7,700lbs. I was shocked, as the GLE comes with a 2.0L I4 turbo, a modest 255 HP/ 273 lbs tq and a 9 speed transmission. The car carries a curb weight of 4,700lbs (nearly identical to the boat/trailer coincidentally).

Its a mid-size car, similar in size to a ford explorer or 4-runner. my choices are slim as i daily drive a Macan...so we kinda have to make this work. The math works as far as im concerned, but ive seen a few AR210's on the trailer and they look quite massive going down the road....maybe its just how the rear end sets up with the rear swim deck and seats? anyhow - anyone with any experience, thoughts or comments?

thanks!!!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2016 GLE-350 that I baby (just hit 40,000 miles) that has the 305hp V6 and I refuse to pull my boat with it. Not because it can’t, I‘m just overprotective of it.

it seems like towing that much weight with a 2.0L turbo (same engine as the 2015+ C300?) would seem like a tall task. How far you plan on pulling it may be a factor to consider.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We currently tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee v6 rated at 6200 lbs. We just bought a SQ5 rated at 5000 lbs. We will tow our 212x. I am not concerned yet. We will see how it does soon.

I do not think your 2.0 GLE is rated for 7700 lbs. I think the upgraded GLE 450 (a turbo v6 I think) is rated for 7700 lbs as well as the amg version NOT the 4 cylinder

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That is amazing that 2.0 litre is rated for 7000lbs. I know those European vehicles can tow a bunch. I think you are good to go!

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would think the tongue weight of the trailer will really put a strain on your rear suspension.
these boats are to tongue heavy 10% of total weight of trailer and boat. So looking at about 400-500lbs tongue weight. Sketchy at best

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looking at the spec it says “rated for 7,700 lbs with hitch”

Pretty amazing to me but it’s rated for it, keep in mind as you add passengers and stuff that tow rating decreases. Usually that’s with just a driver, standard fuel, etc. If it were me I’d definitely opt for the Airmatic suspension if you plan to tow. It may look a little funny also, my 21’ makes my full size F150 look a bit small...

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had no issues pulling (100+ mile stretches) a 2008 212X with an ML63. Even had one trip where the trailer breaks weren't working, and I didn't notice until having the trailer serviced (the massive AMG brake rotors didn't hurt). More recently pulled a Moomba Helix (guessing about 500 pounds heavier than 212X) with a GLE350 (V6) again with no issues.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You might be straining it a bit with that low of HP and torque especially hills, etc. With trailering anything, go slow and be over cautious.
FYI - I pulled my 242 Limited S with no problems with my ML550 but it had 402HP and 443 ft-lbs of torque.
I now have a GL550 that's 429HP and 516 ft-lbs of torque.

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my ar210 with my wifes 2015 ML350 4matic with no issue. The car is rated for 7200lbs. We usually tow it about an hour each way when we go to the lake.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 2015 ML-350 has the 3.5L V6...........

Agent Boost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed....not much to help but speaks that someone has had success with the ML/GLE series. its promising!

i have a call into the service advisor at the dealer, i want Mercedes Corporate to rule on this....waiting for their official statement.

Agent Boost

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those keeping along with this thread:

Finally got word back from Mercedes Benz USA. They confirmed that my model (GLE350 4Matic) is rated at 7,700lbs.

talk about the little engine that could. I imagine the strength of the transmission also comes into play.

so having said that....looks like we'll be giving it a go as soon as the dang boat gets here!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Add in another 300 for fuel. Add in another 100lbs of nonsense and im coming up with around ...
AHAHAHAH! Wait maybe you're not married? 100lbs is what my wife gets in the cooler!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Finally got word back from Mercedes Benz USA. They confirmed that my model (GLE350 4Matic) is rated at 7,700lbs.

talk about the little engine that could. I imagine the strength of the transmission also comes into play.

so having said that....looks like we'll be giving it a go as soon as the dang boat gets here!
Towing isn't a power factor really. It will pull it, slowly, but tow ratings aren't a Powe measure. They're more related to cooling than anything, with frame stiffness behind that. What is going to be working against you most is the sheer size difference. The GLE isn't that long, the trailer and boat are. I'm sure the Benz has some sort of brake system that senses that and uses the brakes to compensate, but that's sort of a bandaid.

If you're not towing too far, and don't have hills or time crunches, I'm sure it will be fine. I suspect over the next few months or years you're going to look at larger vehicles to replace your macan or GLE though.

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I tow my SX210 with my BMW X5 - installed with transmission cooler and tow is rated at 6,000. I have towed the boat all over MN without any issues. Other than a gas suck. I get 400+ miles a tank with no boat and 200-250 miles per tank with boat. I have had my BMW and Boat since 2017 and no issues in the tow department.