• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Metallic rattling from the prop after stick removal

digitalthug916

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
‘21 212se

I was idle fwd leaving a beach area, never got less than 4ft deep when I sucked up a stick. I didn’t realize it until I tried to bump the throttles up to 3000 and the boat started shaking, no thrust from the starboard side, etc.

I didn’t have any tools with me to remove it and we were about done for the day anyway. I tooled over to the dock and pulled the boat. Got her home and yanked the stick out, carefully. It was really jammed in there and wedged between two blades and the ring. The stick was only about the size of my pinky finger and maybe 5 inches long.

Now when I run that engine (albeit in the drive-way) I get an awful rattling sound. The port side has a minor rattle and only when I bump it above 4000rpm but the starboard side is a serious rattle anything above 2000.

Is this anything to worry about?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure it did not sound like that before? As the bearings wear there is slightly greater play in those bearings and it can cause the pump to make a rattling noise. Sometimes the pump can swell a little behind the stainless steel ring and cause the impeller to touch the sleeve and make a bit of a rattle.

I think you can observe for some time and decide what if anything is needed. I would suggest to verify the "roundness" and clearance of the impeller on the pump and try to "jiggle" the impeller shaft. The shaft should NOT move at all as it is pressed into the bearings.

If the shaft doesn't move and you don't see anything rubbing, you are good and I would not worry about it. If the shaft moves at all to the sides, it's time to rebuild the pump.

EDIT: Sorry I did not check your boat age. That is a brand new boat. generally the rattle is worse at low RPMs. Maybe things are loosening up a bit from brand new. My advise stands, if the shaft feels solid, you are good. You are 99.9% likely to be just fine. Your impeller liner and pump have NOT had a chance to rust at all, so that's not the problem.

Last edited:

digitalthug916

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure it did not sound like that before? As the bearings wear there is slightly greater play in those bearings and it can cause the pump to make a rattling noise. Sometimes the pump can swell a little behind the stainless steel ring and cause the impeller to touch the sleeve and make a bit of a rattle.

I think you can observe for some time and decide what if anything is needed. I would suggest to verify the "roundness" and clearance of the impeller on the pump and try to "jiggle" the impeller shaft. The shaft should NOT move at all as it is pressed into the bearings.

If the shaft doesn't move and you don't see anything rubbing, you are good and I would not worry about it. If the shaft moves at all to the sides, it's time to rebuild the pump.

EDIT: Sorry I did not check your boat age. That is a brand new boat. generally the rattle is worse at low RPMs. Maybe things are loosening up a bit from brand new. My advise stands, if the shaft feels solid, you are good. You are 99.9% likely to be just fine. Your impeller liner and pump have NOT had a chance to rust at all, so that's not the problem.

Thanks for the advice. I figured it was likely nothing but it was near silent when I checked before heading out that morning. The only change was the stick getting stuck. The shaft has no wiggle, nor the prop nor the ring (as best I could with the grate on and pump assembled). The boat shook like crazy with that stick in there, maybe just loosened some things.

I am a very mechanically inclined person but this is my first jet drive anything so I figured I’d rely on the experience here.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to ask. Glad it's nothing.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may still have a little chunk of stuff stuck in there. Has happened to me before. Got most of it out (thought it was all) and still had all sorts of rattling.

Look up in the FAQ for a video on pulling the pump. If you still have rattling, and certainly if you are mechanically inclined, pull the pump to check. Half the time there is something between the impeller and the ring and it falls out just from pulling the pump. Half the time there is a lump of stuff and at the very least it is much, much easier to get that way. Takes about 10 min to pull the pump once you know what you are doing. You will hesitate at first ("Geez, it's a new boat, what if I mess it up", etc.), but once you do it you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Other option is to go run it a bit. I have also found that with most things stuck in the pump like that, if you can get thrust and it is not too bad, a good run can flush it out of the pumps. Careful doing that if the rattle is too bad, tho. That is how you take life off your bearings...

Let us know how it goes.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pull the pump check to see if the impeller is rubbing on the liner. What could have happened is that the stainless liner heated up from friction and is out of round and rubs the impeller.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2020 rattled in the driveway from day one. 120 hours no issues.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2020 rattled in the driveway from day one. 120 hours no issues.
+1 these things are noisy/rattly at idle both in and out of water, far more out of water. More of a constant/fast "clunking" than anything. Mine has done it since it was brand new back in 2013, no issues.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I also have a 212SE, and it has always rattled, even when new. I guess that's normal?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Beginning of the season on the first start up I could hear clearly one impeller rubbing it was more than a rattle . Pump was pulled and new liner ordered but since this is the year of the back order it wasn't coming in time for the first trip, and still is not in 4 month later. With a drill and rotary 1 1/2'' sanding bit I found the high spots and sanded them down. Put it back together and no more scraping rattling sound I knew this was a temporary fix and ordered a wear ring with plastic liner

Someone posted about cavitation with these but during install I could see the potential if you don't clean up the mating surface it could allow it not to fully seat letting air in that would create cavitation. I checked the tolerance for the impeller to wear ring it happens to be the thickness of a manilla folder that I had .023mm so I used this a simple gauge to keep any eye on how long before the plastic wears.

Inspect the wear ring if you see a burn mark change the ring its fairly easy
20210723_111405.jpg

20210723_111416.jpg