• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up a stick.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I sucked up a small stick that got wedged in the impeller. When it happened I was pulling a tube at about 20mph and it made a horrible sound with a little bit of smoke coming from somewhere. The riders could see it. I was able to get the stick out but it still isn't working right. Sounds like the engine is running fine but the jet pump sounds like it is slipping. I was running it on the trailer after removing the stick on a hose not in the water. I haven't pulled the pump yet but wondering if you guys have any idea what it might be and how hard it will be to fix. Splines on the shaft maybe?
Also I noticed that on the starboard intake it is a smooth transition from the grate to the wear ring but on the port there is like a ledge where the grate stops and the wear ring or whatever part that is before it begins. Is that normal on 2019 242xe or did i get a bad or incorrect intake grate? Was too dark to get a Picture.
Thanks

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your most likely issue is a potential dent/ding to the impeller leading edge which will cause cavitation. The other thing is there could have still just been a little piece of something In there after you removed the stick. A tiny piece of leaf or a pine needle is enough to cause cavitation. Before pulling the pump, look at the impeller from underneath through the intake and the cleanout tube with a mirror. Look at and feel leading and trailing edges of each blade for anything rough. As for the lip, probably just QC; no wrong parts. If it worked fine before it should not be a problem; but many of us have smoothed the tunnel out.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also am thinking it is just a piece of the stick that hasn't come out yet. Very unlikely you have any problems. What ever is in there may dry up and come out easily.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thanks. I'll check it out some more on Monday and report back. I'm tied up this weekend.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I pull the impellers out and it somehow this miraculously fixes everything. I don't know if it's the grooves out of sync or just something falls out that I didn't see.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All of what they said. Has happened to me many times.

Another thing that works (if you are on the water): just gun it a bit. If you have the major stick removed, and a small piece wedged that you cannot find, it will sound horrible as the clutch slips (will sound like your motor is falling out or something). But basically it is like a hammer drill on the little chunk. After about 5-10 seconds, it magically stops when it cuts the chunk and blows it out.

If course, if you do that and it still won't clear it, then you should pull the pump...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The smoke could have been steam coming out the pissers what happens when the stick is wedged it creates massive cavitation the water is 50% air bubbles and this prevents proper cooling the pissers will steam in this scenario . Need to be carful you could warp or crack the head did your boat throw an overheat code ? Of course there are many different sizes and ways the stick can become lodged best bet is limp to the ramp if its nearby

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
No codes. Smoke or steam was coming from back of boat. That's what we did is just limp it in.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
So finally getting around to pulling the pump. I have pulled the 5 bolts and can't get it to come out or even budge. Even tried a couple of light taps with a mallet. Any suggestions?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
wiggle/rotate the shaft both ways and try again.

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If the big boats are like my 19 AR, if you removed the five bolts around the reverse bucket (like the older boats) thinking you can pull the impeller and shaft there, that won’t work. It’s got to be the bolts all the way against the transom and the entire thing comes out. It’s not two pieces anymore unfortunately.

But that’s only if the 242 is the same (essential) one piece assembly as my little boat. I’ll not sure.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Yeah I pulled the 5 against the transom I also tried taking just the reverse bucket off and then pulling it off no luck
Tried wiggling the shaft I can't turn it by hand what do you guys use just a small vice grip?
When I had the reverse bucket portion off I didn't see anything still stuck but it sure acted like it was slipping the other day when I ran it on the hose

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So finally getting around to pulling the pump. I have pulled the 5 bolts and can't get it to come out or even budge. Even tried a couple of light taps with a mallet. Any suggestions?
Having just pulled a pump it is fresh in my memory....

1. Hopefully you pulled the correct 4 bolts? Bolts are on the pump, not the ones on the transom.
  2. Once the bolts are out, you wiggle and bang on it (use a rubber mallet, or a hammer etc - don't damage it)
  3. Once you've hit it a few times it should separate from the rest of the pump a little. Then put a screw driver in the gap and use that as leverage to get more movement.
  4. It will come off in two pieces - the nozzle assembly, then the impeller and shaft.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A video for reference (but they unnecessarily undid the reverse gate bolts when that is a quick release spring connector):

4 bolts on the pump
1 bolt from the steering cable (note the plastic bushings on the steering cable...1 top and 1 bottom)

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Yeah I pulled the 5 against the transom I also tried taking just the reverse bucket off and then pulling it off no luck
Tried wiggling the shaft I can't turn it by hand what do you guys use just a small vice grip?
When I had the reverse bucket portion off I didn't see anything still stuck but it sure acted like it was slipping the other day when I ran it on the hose
Ok I guys thanks for the help I finally got it to wiggle out
I feel like I need a nap

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
This is the what I would think is an excessive lip that I was talking about.
When you guys reassemble these do you use RVT or anything as a new gasket?

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
You guys are awesome. Thank you for the quick responses

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am guessing since it was so difficult to get off that there was something stuck in there still. When you pulled it, I bet you dislodged it...

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Very possible. I didn't see anything come out but who knows. Got it all back together and it seems to be fine now. Glad that is all it took. I was afraid something was really messed up. Thanks for all the help on this board.