• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mfi Galvanized trailers... Do yours look kinda crappy?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just curious. Mine has a pretty rough grayish coating on it, like a bedliner texture. I think the tongue was painted as it's black, but I have to figure out something to do with the actuator anyways.

After rebuilding a lot of the trailer I'm kinda disappointed in the finish. It's kinda crappy looking. Is it just my trailer, or do they all look like this? Is it a coating over top of the galvanize? Has anyone done anything to make it look nicer? I was thinking maybe some sort of bedliner type product would at least give it a niform black appearance that should looks good exposed to the elements.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just curious. Mine has a pretty rough grayish coating on it, like a bedliner texture. I think the tongue was painted as it's black, but I have to figure out something to do with the actuator anyways.

After rebuilding a lot of the trailer I'm kinda disappointed in the finish. It's kinda crappy looking. Is it just my trailer, or do they all look like this? Is it a coating over top of the galvanize? Has anyone done anything to make it look nicer? I was thinking maybe some sort of bedliner type product would at least give it a niform black appearance that should looks good exposed to the elements.
It is galvanized steel. What do you expect. Look at an old galvanized steel fence post and they look very similar. I would advise against painting it or spraying it with a bedliner like material. That requires the stripping off of some of the galvanized coating in order to allow it to stick and that defeats the propose of the galvanization. Painting galvanized steel never looks good.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I spray painted my galvanized 2010 mfi boat and 2006 FE pwc trailers with truck bedliner in 2014 without any special prep and for the most part it’s been very tough. Not many spots where the bed liner didn’t stick to the galvanized metal. The trailers look a lot better and it cost me less than $100 at the time.

the bed liner texture seems to attract or trap dust. But it’s easy to cleanwith a garden hose. Spots or scratches are easily repaired with some pics ouch up blasts. As far as I can tell the benefits of having a galvanized trailer are still in effect. Still, if I could do it over i would just go with conventional high gloss rustoeum.

75E99A88-567D-4E11-81A3-68F88CBABC3B.pngE4F10407-E208-4740-9CEF-9EB84391AE87.png41CC0EB8-4593-4D66-90F7-1AFA91C0D90C.pngFCDEC992-7640-4841-B563-61A38E61EA8D.png

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spray painted my galvanized 2010 mfi boat and 2006 FE pwc trailers with truck bedliner in 2014 without any special prep and for the most part it’s been very tough. Not many spots where the bed liner didn’t stick to the galvanized metal. The trailers look a lot better and it cost me less than $100 at the time.

the bed liner texture seems to attract or trap dust. But it’s easy to cleanwith a garden hose. Spots or scratches are easily repaired with some pics ouch up blasts. As far as I can tell the benefits of having a galvanized trailer are still in effect. Still, if I could do it over i would just go with conventional high gloss rustoeum.

View attachment 167265View attachment 167266View attachment 167267View attachment 167268
Did you use like a roll on, or a spray can type thing? I'm not opposed to a gloss black rustoleum if it'll stick.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I sprayed it on with some whatever brand Home Depot sold at the time. I will try and see if I have any laying around for touch up purposes but think I used what I had prepping for last season.

a little side note, I had to remove the truck bed liner paint from the storage locker on my pwc trailer this year and it was a real pita to get some of it all off. Whatever the wire wheel could remove got wiped down with rubbing alchol and painted over.
F7436B6C-20DF-4A6A-9557-6D644E6D565A.jpeg4F6D326A-E8D3-4E6E-9951-2D70870AD968.jpeg