• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Month 1 Ownership Debacles

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm off to an eventful start. In less than a month of ownership I've been dealing with a bunch of nonsense:

-State of Florida is dumb AF and won't let me register the boat even though I have a fully completed, signed, and notarized bill of sale along with the title with the lien release from the bank. The bank sent me the title directly once I paid it off, so of course it's not filled out by the out of state seller :rolleyes:. Now I need to either send the title back to out of state seller or have him send me a power of attorney. Sure hope he's still around and willing to do that...

-I also can't register the trailer without weighing it apparently. I have nowhere to leave the boat in the water while I weigh it empty. The title place said the scale place will subtract the boat weight. I was skeptical and after trying of COURSE they won't. Anyone have some sort of documentation from Shorelander that shows what the trailers for the newer (2019) 21 ft boats weigh? Their brochure has a ton of stats, except for the weight of the trailer itself.

-My surge brakes keep locking up when backing up. I wasn't having this problem before when using a Tahoe. I had Uhaul install a tow hitch on my new Durango tow vehicle and suspect they didn't hookup the reverse lights correctly which appears to be is what disables the brakes. Either that or the solenoid on the trailer that disables the brakes while in reverse miraculously failed on me a few days after the last time I used it (unlikely). :shifty:

-Only took 3 trips on the boat and was pulled over by the Sheriff out on the lake. With everything going on right now, these guys still have no real crime to deal with? :meh:

Oh yea, also third time on the water I left the engines running at the dock after launching while waiting for people to load up and sucked up a bunch of lily pads and what not near the dock. One engine was completely clogged and was getting overheating warnings on both. I know how to clean out the cleanout ports now... Kept getting overheating errors, had to let the boat sit for a while with batteries switched off to let the code clear out before I was confident the problem was gone and could get going. Would be nice if there was an actual temp gauge for the engines on the display but I didn't see one.

Ugh. Sorry for all of your issues! But that which does not kill us... ?

First, most sellers are not trying to screw you. Yes, there are one-off instances, but by-in-large, people are good. Most likely if you call the guy up, are polite, respectful, etc., you will have no issue getting him to sign whatever is needed. Just ask.

I bet an email to Shorlandr will tell you the weight pretty quickly. They have to ship the things. They must know the weight.

As to the brakes, break out your ohm meter and see if that backup light connector on the trailer connection lights up with 12 v when you put it into reverse. It may be that the miswired (or did not wire) your connector on install... Much more likely the vehicle or connection than it would be the trailer solenoid. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Sheriffs: Sorry that stressed you out. They are just doing their job, mostly, or trying to do so. Hopefully they checked your safety equipment, found everything in order, and sent you on your way. Good reminder that we should all have all of the required equipment--just in case of emergency or LEO....

I think in FL if you have a trailer over 2000lbs it has to have a title. If the certificate you have doesn't have the weight you have to get the trailer weight to show it is not over 2000lbs. I am sure you could call and they would know the weight. The challenge may be that FL will require this to be certified. Fl is very particular about titling anything from another state. They have to look at the VIN of the car themselves. It took me three trips to get the vehicles transferred when I moved here.

I think in FL if you have a trailer over 2000lbs it has to have a title. If the certificate you have doesn't have the weight you have to get the trailer weight to show it is not over 2000lbs. I am sure you could call and they would know the weight. The challenge may be that FL will require this to be certified. Fl is very particular about titling anything from another state. They have to look at the VIN of the car themselves. It took me three trips to get the vehicles transferred when I moved here.

Wouldn't the trailer need a title regardless of weight? After all, it has to have a plate.

[EDIT] Never mind, I googled my own answer :)

@slickstick You're not going to like hearing this.....butt I'm fairly positive the new Durango's need to have the Body Control Module programmed when adding a wiring harness for towing. I researched that pretty heavily to figure out what was required to upgrade a "non-tow" R/T to a "tow" R/T, and the essentials were the hitch, bumper cover plate, harness, and programming. Most people were finding the local Dodge dealership would do the programming for under $100, and that enabled the factory harness to work.

I'm unsure how UHaul connects in with the factory harness, but I'll bet some dollars they didn't even consider the backup lights. Especially if they only installed a 5-pin harness. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no idea how to handle a 7-pin, as all of UHauls trailers have surge brakes with mechanical /manual (or none at all) lockouts.

Good luck man!

I had the trailer issue in reverse in TX. They can issue registration without titles in FL, I know as I bought a florida boat to register in Texas and there was no trailer title, the empty trailer is less than 2000lbs, so no title. only bill of sale and prior proof of registration on the trailer. Texas gave me a title even though it had none in FL, since it qualifies for a title in TX.

Weird.

Don't dispair. Nothing a few more trips can't solve.

@slickstick You're not going to like hearing this.....butt I'm fairly positive the new Durango's need to have the Body Control Module programmed when adding a wiring harness for towing. I researched that pretty heavily to figure out what was required to upgrade a "non-tow" R/T to a "tow" R/T, and the essentials were the hitch, bumper cover plate, harness, and programming. Most people were finding the local Dodge dealership would do the programming for under $100, and that enabled the factory harness to work.

I'm unsure how UHaul connects in with the factory harness, but I'll bet some dollars they didn't even consider the backup lights. Especially if they only installed a 5-pin harness. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no idea how to handle a 7-pin, as all of UHauls trailers have surge brakes with mechanical /manual (or none at all) lockouts.

Good luck man!
I would just buy and use this for the short term:

Ugh. Sorry for all of your issues! But that which does not kill us... ?

First, most sellers are not trying to screw you. Yes, there are one-off instances, but by-in-large, people are good. Most likely if you call the guy up, are polite, respectful, etc., you will have no issue getting him to sign whatever is needed. Just ask.

I bet an email to Shorlandr will tell you the weight pretty quickly. They have to ship the things. They must know the weight.

As to the brakes, break out your ohm meter and see if that backup light connector on the trailer connection lights up with 12 v when you put it into reverse. It may be that the miswired (or did not wire) your connector on install... Much more likely the vehicle or connection than it would be the trailer solenoid. Possible, yes. Likely, no.

Sheriffs: Sorry that stressed you out. They are just doing their job, mostly, or trying to do so. Hopefully they checked your safety equipment, found everything in order, and sent you on your way. Good reminder that we should all have all of the required equipment--just in case of emergency or LEO....
Yea it is what it is, just some extra hoops to jump through. Seller says he is busy traveling and is asking me to just sign the form with his name for me... A little reluctant to doing that. I'm hoping he comes around.

Yea they are certainly not making it easy! The worst part is them trivializing what they're asking for, and providing incorrect information as to how I could get a weight slip with the boat on the trailer (not possible).

Wouldn't the trailer need a title regardless of weight? After all, it has to have a plate.

[EDIT] Never mind, I googled my own answer :)
It has one now! I guess Florida won't issue be a new title and this one will get destroyed...? I'm going to find out.

Good luck man!
Thanks for the heads up... I was assuming they were tapping directly into the reverse lights and either forgot that connection, or goofed it up somehow. I guess you're saying they simply plug into a harness connection somewhere? I'll do some digging and was planning a trip to U-haul to ask them to test it.

I had the trailer issue in reverse in TX. They can issue registration without titles in FL, I know as I bought a florida boat to register in Texas and there was no trailer title, the empty trailer is less than 2000lbs, so no title. only bill of sale and prior proof of registration on the trailer. Texas gave me a title even though it had none in FL, since it qualifies for a title in TX.

Weird.

Don't dispair. Nothing a few more trips can't solve.
Yea I was thinking that out be a PIA for others out of state.

I would just buy and use this for the short term:

Yup... Just ordered one last night. Thank you!

I've already discovered how easily that key falls out. Current process has included wrapping a long USB cable around it so that it stays in place. Still probably going to be a bit of a pain because I've had to jack the trailer up out of the ball everytime so slip in the key as the surge likes to stay pushed slightly forward when engaged on the ball and won't let it slide in otherwise.

Last edited:
It has one now! I guess Florida won't issue be a new title and this one will get destroyed...? I'm going to find out.
You have the Shoreland'r title? Or just a plate? My '18 SX195 Shoreland'r title lists the weight of 670 lbs. right on it.
I wonder if any else has the same make/model with the weight on the title they can provide?

1602284938421.png

You have the Shoreland'r title? Or just a plate? My '18 SX195 Shoreland'r title lists the weight right on it. View attachment 135023
I wonder if any else has the same make/model with the weight on the title they can provide?
Yes I have the title but it does not list it unfortunately... Must be state specific.

The key is a title vs the certificate. In Fl you have to title the trailer if it is over 2000 lbs. If the title or certificate from another state has the weight on it you are good to go. If it doesn't you have to get the weight of the trailer and I think, not 100% sure, it has to be certified. That is difficult if you have a boat sitting on the trailer. I think that is the challenge that has to be overcome. Maybe if you went to a marina and explained the situation they would let you tie up there few hours. That may be easiest way to get this done.

Good luck man!
Went to UHaul today. They used a harness that plugged into the taillight. The reverse light is up in the hatch which appeared to be the problem (or could also be solved by the flash you mentioned which would add a signal to that harness location). Had them run a wire directly from the reverse light and splice into the harness. Should be good to go now. One problem solved.

The key is a title vs the certificate. In Fl you have to title the trailer if it is over 2000 lbs. If the title or certificate from another state has the weight on it you are good to go. If it doesn't you have to get the weight of the trailer and I think, not 100% sure, it has to be certified. That is difficult if you have a boat sitting on the trailer. I think that is the challenge that has to be overcome. Maybe if you went to a marina and explained the situation they would let you tie up there few hours. That may be easiest way to get this done.
Yea... I'm hoping Shorelander has something they can provide me to show the weight. They said they would accept something from a manufacturer. If not, plan B is to find a friend or friend of a friend with a lake dock I can commandeer temporarily. Plan C would be what you describe, but right now I am saddled to fresh water until I can find someone who wants to trade their galvanized trailer for my painted one.

Back