• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover and road trip

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning next week to drive about 4.5 hours across the state with the boat and I plan on keeping it covered with the yamaha mooring cover. The cover fits nice and snub so I don't use the poles at all, just ratchet it down a bit.

I would assume it is safe to travel at highway speed with the cover on?

Should there be anything that I need to watch out for our do? I would hate to have it rip or something else.

I don’t have a morning cover so I’m not sure about it. I made the mistake of traveling with my deluxe Yamaha cover though and it chaffed the finish all around it . Should have either left it off or used my traveling cover.

I believe that is what i have the deluxe yamaha cover says yamaha on front and back $85020200624_171536.jpg

I believe that is what i have the deluxe yamaha cover says yamaha on front and back $850View attachment 123988
Yes, that’s what I have. The only reason I wasn’t sure if it is a mooring cover is because it would be difficult to put on at the dock. Some folks travel with it with some good results. Listen to what they have to say in terms of modifications. Fortunately I have a travel cover and the edges are lined with felt. That’s what I use now. I was sick when I took the black cover off and saw all the chaff marks.

Can you link the travel cover?

First time I towed the brand boat and brand new deluxe cover I ended up with scratches and marring. Perhaps I didn't have it ratcheted down tight enough, or dirt on the surface. Happened to both sides in the same place. I have since sanded and buffed to a mirror like finish. I also cinch it down good and tight and it hasn't happened since.

IMG_20190714_112901209.jpgIMG_20190714_101430963.jpg

@Wishfull1 So you are saying the trick is to cinch it down tight in back under the swim deck and ratchet both sides very tight and this is good?

I ratchet the dammit out of mine. Tight enough I can't get my fingers under he strap easily. The rear "confidence straps" that go to the tie downs are also as tight as I can get.

I leave the straps under the cover, but pull the poles out. Some debate on if this helps, I think it does so they stay in on mine.

Pool noodle over the windshield isnt for the paint, it's to keep the cover from being over stressed on the sharp edges of the windshield transitions. This is where my factory shipping cover failed after two seasons.

I'm two seasons into this cover and I trailer ~100mi round trip about once a week in the summer. It's made two trips to TN as well. No scuffing that I can tell, and the cover appears to be holding just fine.

IMG_20190615_090527.jpg

I leave the straps under the cover, but pull the poles out. Some debate on if this helps, I think it does so they stay in on mine.

I am sorry, I don't understand this could you elaborate?

I am sorry, I don't understand this could you elaborate?
The cover comes with a set of straps to hold the poles in place. Two white straps from the front cleats to the front pole, a single strap between the front and rear pole, then two straps from the rear pole to the rear cleats. These straps are used to hold the pole in place while putting the cover on.

I leave those straps in place and simply remove the poles. The straps help keep the cover from over stretching in the bow area and provide some support. It also helps if you park, while towing, and it's raining. Keeps the pooling from getting out of hand while you stop.

I can take a pic shortly if you like.

I've read that the pressure from the air stretches the cover and I believe it based on the local towing I have done with mine on over the course of the last couple years. Sounds like you don't have the shipping cover but that is what I would use. I think I have about 1 more year on my mooring cover before facing a repair or new cover.

White thick shipping cover with the felt interior, no anti pooling poles for long distance. Ratchet the cover as tight as possible and drive. Once at my destination, shipping cover comes off and stored in the truck, mooring cover goes on with hang tyte, no poles needed and easy transport.

If you don't have the shipping cover, make a slice down the center of a pool noodle and place it over the center of your glass windshield to help protect the cover. Put black mooring cover on, leave antipooling poles down, Ratchet tight and eastbound and down you go!

I’ve tow with mine on, almost 5000 miles so far. The corners of the windshield do start to stress the fabric, so I recommend pool noodle or pipe insulation on sharp corners. I don‘t ratchet it 100% as tight as I can get it, about 95% is my best results. The FSH covers have no poles, so I can’t advise there. I will say that for the price of these covers I wish they were more heavy duty. I did attempt a trip once without the cover, it rained and the boat ended up FILTHY inside and out so I use the cover every time now. Plus no worry about losing cushions, so there’s that bonus. Here’s what it looks like tight for travel.
632581CE-8A64-4A9E-8965-05E138D8F130.jpeg0095E68A-84F0-4CAB-BBC0-F23C659D16EF.jpeg

I have the same boat (2019 version) and the same cover. I have towed with the cover on several times (4 hours one way) and never had any issues whatsoever..no chaffing, nothing....Nothing to worry about and you’ll be fine..

@2kwik4u A picture is not necessary, I now completely understand. Thank You. I didn't get it because I haven't used the straps or poles with the new cover yet.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I am going to use the straps under the cover, use pool noodles on window shield and ratchet real tight. I will also make sure there is no dirt on the cover and boat where they make contact.

@Dixie Highway Yes it does look sharp. Still think I should of got the FSH, but family out voted me.

We have the newer "vacu-hold" mooring cover and it works great (made by Outer-Armour). No chaffing anywhere and it fits snug. We trailered about 15 minutes at highway speeds without the poles and won't do it again - we could see the vacuum effect pulling down the cover and we thought it might stretch it the wrong way. It was a short run so no biggie, but we will always trailer with the poles now.

No sharp corners on our boat, and the cover doesn't "buffet" in the wind with the poles installed, so we don't think there will be any issues. However I did remove the upper rubber bumper on the windshield walkthrough opening section as it was pushing up hard on the cover. The bumper isn't really needed unless you boat with the front window open at speed. We always close the window when on the move so I removed it and the cover fits smoother.

@2kwik4u - I’m trying to understand the benefit of not using the poles. Also, does the strap that runs down the length of the boat go above or below your windshield?

I ratchet the dammit out of mine. Tight enough I can't get my fingers under he strap easily. The rear "confidence straps" that go to the tie downs are also as tight as I can get.

Pool noodle over the windshield isnt for the paint, it's to keep the cover from being over stressed on the sharp edges of the windshield transitions. This is where my factory shipping cover failed after two seasons.

I'm two seasons into this cover and I trailer ~100mi round trip about once a week in the summer. It's made two trips to TN as well. No scuffing that I can tell, and the cover appears to be holding just fine.

View attachment 123997
This is all correct, in my experience. I would only add that the pool noodle over the top edge of the walkthrough portion of the windshield is a MUST. It keeps the black rubber stopper from putting undue stress on the cover - the most common place where tears and shredding begin.

I trailer one hour, each way, for day trips... and 12 - 20 hours, at least once a year, for big water vacations. Always with the premium mooring cover ratcheted tight and poles in place.

Back