• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover and road trip

@2kwik4u - I’m trying to understand the benefit of not using the poles. Also, does the strap that runs down the length of the boat go above or below your windshield?
My experience is that keeping the poles in stretches the cover too much. After a few trips with the poles in, you could see a definite "pocket" forming on the cover where the bow pole was. The rear pole wasn't doing much damage or stretching, but I didn't like how the base of the pole was resting against the front edge of the engine hatch.

So I took the poles AND straps out and tried it that way. It works just fine this way, and eliminates the stretching "pocket" over the front pole. I ran this way for a few trips.

Then I towed in the rain. When I got home there was a GIANT puddle in the bow, and it had saturated the cover and was starting to drip through to the carpet below. Not a huge ordeal, we were home and I put it in the garage to dry with the cover off. A few more trips through rain, and I decided to try just the straps without the poles.

With straps and without poles "feels" like the best bet for me. The straps prevent excessive stretching in the bow area, and help the cover to rebound to it's natural shape when you come down from highway speeds. I've also noticed that water doesn't pool as badly in the bow when towing in the rain with the straps in place.

So now, my process is to put the straps on, leave the poles off, then put the cover over and tighten everything as snug as possible. Pool noddle over the windshield in the center, and straps always over the windshield (and noddle). I'm not sure there is a right answer here, but this is what I found works best for me.

I'll be leaving later today for a long boating weekend and looks like I'll be driving through some rain. The plans for the cover are noodle across top of windshield, keep straps in, remove poles and air up one of our tubes to stand up in the bow so that there is a wider area for the cover to get pushed down into instead of the pole top. Towing with the poles in does stretch the cover and puts a lot of stress on the pole area. Does it hurt it?? Maybe, maybe not. My advise is to try towing with the cover both ways and see what your comfortable with.

I'll be leaving later today for a long boating weekend and looks like I'll be driving through some rain. The plans for the cover are noodle across top of windshield, keep straps in, remove poles and air up one of our tubes to stand up in the bow so that there is a wider area for the cover to get pushed down into instead of the pole top.

Great idea. If you have an inflatable to put in the bow easily that is the BEST support you can get. Lets the cover come down adn touch the inflatable without any stress points to worry about.

Towing with the poles in does stretch the cover and puts a lot of stress on the pole area. Does it hurt it?? Maybe, maybe not. My advise is to try towing with the cover both ways and see what your comfortable with.

Great advice.

My cover came with a note saying to remove the poles while trailering...something about the cover conforming to the shape of the boat.

I'll be leaving later today for a long boating weekend and looks like I'll be driving through some rain. The plans for the cover are noodle across top of windshield, keep straps in, remove poles and air up one of our tubes to stand up in the bow so that there is a wider area for the cover to get pushed down into instead of the pole top. Towing with the poles in does stretch the cover and puts a lot of stress on the pole area. Does it hurt it?? Maybe, maybe not. My advise is to try towing with the cover both ways and see what your comfortable with.

I did this for a 1700 mile tow. I put in the bow filler cushions and inflated the tube to support, but not stretch the cover in the bow area. Rather than the one pressure point that a pole makes, it more evenly spread the pressure across the tube and along the gunwales.

Good luck!

I’ve always only used the shipping cover for long tows. Then a large beach ball in the bow. No poles. The shipping cover is soft on the inside and doesn’t scuff the gel.

What's the difference between the mooring cover and the travel cover?

The mooring cover is typically the "yamaha premium" black fabric. The shipping cover is what the boat is shipped in, typically the thick white vinyl with the felt liner inside. You typically have to request these at delivery of a new boat. You might even be able to go to your dealer and request one, I think they just toss em.

Someone should add that to the new boat checklist, requesting the shipping cover.

If your worried about the buckles scratching the hull you can use seat belt belly protectors to wrap around them. D6F03759-2BD5-44C5-9DC6-1FC6DABEEB6B.jpeg

The mooring cover is typically the "yamaha premium" black fabric. The shipping cover is what the boat is shipped in, typically the thick white vinyl with the felt liner inside. You typically have to request these at delivery of a new boat. You might even be able to go to your dealer and request one, I think they just toss em.

Someone should add that to the new boat checklist, requesting the shipping cover.

Dealer gave me my shipping cover. He said Yamaha instructs them to destroy it upon delivery. He thought that was stupid and wasteful so he gave it to me. I went back to him when I bought my next cover and the shipping cover wore out.

I used the shipping cover as long as I could. Lasted 2 seasons of towing for me. Would guess around 4-5k miles of towing. Shipping cover looks like this. It's a felt base with plasticy spray on over it. Not overly durable, but VERY soft on the inside. I prefer the shipping cover to the mooring cover, but they are impossible to find.

The ratchets on this cover are enclosed in felt, and are up near the bow. Same strap/pole system as the mooring cover for my year.
20170506_144314.jpg 20170819_080121.jpg

Mooring cover looks like this. Ratchet straps are enclosed in the little side packet back towards the stern on each side. Some of these covers have an opening for the gas cap as well, mine doesn't for some reason. There are also zippered plastic pockets to get dock lines though. This thing is a giant PIA to put on with the boat tied to a dock and only access to a single side from the dock. Trailers nicely, and doesn't scuff the finish as best I can tell.

IMG_20190428_143853.jpg

I think Yamaha calls this one a "Deluxe Premium" cover, and the gray one is just a "Deluxe cover".

If your worried about the buckles scratching the hull you can use seat belt belly protectors to wrap around them.
Newer covers have wrap around pockets to enclose the buckles, as least mine does. I looked at the box again and it's actually a 2019 MY cover, but the boat hasn't changed for 2020 so it fits perfect. I might try trailering without the poles but with the straps in place to see how that goes.

I wondered why i had covers for the buckles, seemed pointless when it is just sitting, makes sense now.

Back