• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

More specific JetBoat Noise Question

Dave Kruse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm looking to replace my first family boat (16' Chapparal OB) with a Yamaha AR192. I'm on a smallish lake in Maine that has loons and people who are very protective of them. JetSkis are not allowed because of the noise and harassment of the birds. There are plenty of 18-20' I/O boats on our lake, but I don't know that there are any Jet Boats on the lake. Would the Yamaha be too loud?

How would the Yamaha be for slower evening sunset cruises? I've heard that they're not as good unless going high speed.

Thanks for the input!

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Dave Kruse I'm also in Maine and just this purchased an SX195. I have had it on Sebago Lake, Long Lake, and Rangley lake. No noise complaints from anyone. My guests have never said anything about the noise and most have plenty of boating experience. I don't find my boat any louder than any other boat out there. Hope this helps! You won't regret the jet boat.

Dave Kruse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey @Dave Kruse I'm also in Maine and just this purchased an SX195. I have had it on Sebago Lake, Long Lake, and Rangley lake. No noise complaints from anyone. My guests have never said anything about the noise and most have plenty of boating experience. I don't find my boat any louder than any other boat out there. Hope this helps! You won't regret the jet boat.
Thanks! That helps a lot! The lake I go to is close to Sebago and Long Lake. The one I'm looking at is at Long Lake Marina. Did you use them or go with another Marina?

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's who we bought our boat from was long lake marina! Can't say enough about what a great process it was and still is. They have a good thing going over there. If you need anything let me know I'm more than willing to help in anyway I can!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dave Kruse glad to have you on board, I think the best thing for you would be to get a test ride from them. That way you know what's satisfactory and if you decide to buy test the boat your going to get before you take possession,

if you feel you need more steering you can add fins afterwards

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think most people's complaints regarding the noise in the 19' is the sound reverberations inside the boat. I've heard a number of single engine yamahas go by our dock on our lake and it's no louder than a typical I/O.

One thing I may add is that if it's a smallish lake you might want to consider the 190 series. The top end of the supercharged version may not be worth the extra money for you. Most of the upgrades the 192/195 has from the 190 can be added for much less than the price difference and insurance and fuel will be significantly cheaper. Something to consider.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love the sound of loons BTW. The first time I ever heard them was on a lake in Canada at dusk. So relaxing

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm looking to replace my first family boat (16' Chapparal OB) with a Yamaha AR192. I'm on a smallish lake in Maine that has loons and people who are very protective of them. JetSkis are not allowed because of the noise and harassment of the birds. There are plenty of 18-20' I/O boats on our lake, but I don't know that there are any Jet Boats on the lake. Would the Yamaha be too loud?

How would the Yamaha be for slower evening sunset cruises? I've heard that they're not as good unless going high speed.

Thanks for the input!
Put up where you live or find someone near you and message them for a ride and see for yourself how loud they are man.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I have a 20' sea hunt cc with a yamaha 150 outboard, and when i had my 19' sx190 it wasn't even close how much quieter an outboard is compared to the sx190. My 2017 vxr is quieter then the boat was, probably from the sound resonating from the engine over the hull. It didn't bother me , but everyone else complained, ie: my family. we grew up on boats though.

Lake_Spray

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My family likes to do slow evening cruises around lakes and we've found our AR190 to be just fine for it. Slow speed driving of jet boats is a bit different but once you get used to it you don't really think much about it. My 16 y/o son adapted to it very quickly. My wife still whines about it a bit but she doesn't drive much. I added Thrust Vector fins mostly for her. They do help.